Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Has Anyone Tried The Telegram Desktop App For Making Voice Calls?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,196 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:28 PM

Posted 15 July 2017 - 04:50 PM

I've been reading about this Telegram App and how it can be used. If anyone has tried it in Linux, Mac or Windows....it is rather new...I would

like to hear what their experience has been. I'm pretty sure it requires you and who you want to speak to have it installed and I doubt

if actual telephone numbers can be used like in Skype.

The Telegram Desktop App Now Supports Voice Calls - OMG! Ubuntu!   Voice Calls: Secure, Crystal-Clear, AI-Powered

communications-good_manners-mobile-mobil

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,342 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:28 PM

Posted 16 July 2017 - 10:40 AM

Hi, buddy.

Strange you should post this! I was going to start using it to replace the Linux Skype client (the old 4.3, which has now been retired from service), and had it all installed and sym-linked into my Pups from a remote partition I share a lot of data from, when I came across something even better...

WIRE.

I've been using this to chat with a friend down in the south-eastern corner of Louisiana for the last few months. She's on an iPhone, and normally uses Skype. However, since Skype's always been a bit 'problematic' in Puppy (mainly due to M$'s insistence on using PulseAudio, which is not standard fare for the Pups), she agreed to give WIRE a try. It's cross-platform, and the Linux implementation is an AppImage.....a totally self-contained executable binary package, which you can run from anywhere you like.

Visit the link, click 'Get App' at the top. On the next page, scroll down to 'Linux'; click on the drop-down, and select from 'AppImage (32-bit)' or 'AppImage (64-bit)'.

If Telegram's anything like this one, then yes; you will need both parties to have it installed. Like Skype; M$ will not let Skype connect to anything other than another Skype client. I've yet to find VoiP apps that will cross-connect; WIRE is, I'm afraid, no different. 

I suspect Telegram is the same.

WIRE, I've used for text chatting so far. My friend, Ally, is hard to pin down, and I may not hear from her for weeks, sometimes months at a time. We haven't yet tried the video calling capabilities. Pretty soon, I shall sweet-talk my sister ( a mere 70 miles away!) into installing this, and giving it a try.....just so's I can find out what it's like.

Mike.  :wink:

Distros:- Multiple 'Puppies'..... and Anti-X 16.1

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, 3 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Logitech c920 HD Pro webcam, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz 400FSB P4, 1.5 GB RAM, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, M$ HD-3000 'Lifecam'.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#3 jonzen

jonzen

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2017 - 12:06 PM

buddy215 and Mike_Walsh, thx for the info! Have not tried either but am installing both to give them a ride.

#4 buddy215

buddy215
  • Topic Starter

• 13,196 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2017 - 12:21 PM

I'm using the Skype Beta 5.3.0.1 on Ubuntu Mate 16.04...64 bit. I can receive and make phone calls using it. I used a Skype portable phone with its own modem for years.

But now I can only make outgoing calls on it...not receive calls. No one is making Skype portable phones anymore. You can find some of the old

ones online but I would not buy them because I know they are no longer supported and likely would be no more use than the one I have...if at all.

Tell you a funny story....After I installed the new Skype I got a call within a minute and clicked to answer and said hello...not expecting a reply as

I had not set up the sound. The caller responded and we chatted. After the call ended I was dumbfounded as to how the caller could hear me.

I had no microphone set up or even knew of having one. I could hear the caller through the exterior speakers. Scratching my head and thinking..Where

could the mic be?. After a day it finally dawned on me. I had a headset dangling on a wall hook that I rarely use and it was plugged in. I was still quiet

surprised as its mike is powerful enough to pick my voice up from several feet away. Working just like a speaker phone.

I was thinking of trying the Telegram app as a means to video call my granddaughter/  great grandson. I have to get her to install the app, too.

Just wanted to hear from others first of their experiences positive or negative. I'm in no hurry.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#5 jonzen

jonzen

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2017 - 02:41 PM

I am messing around with both apps right now.  Installed them both on xubuntu 16.04 laptop and installed telegram on an old android phone no longer connected to at&t, just my net.  Just now found wire on play store and it is installing.  Now I have to find some friends on rocketchat and irc servers to do the same so I can test them.  Looks like fun, will let you know.  By the way, the headset deal was hilarious.  I have 4 grandkids myself and if this works out I will get them hooked up.

#6 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,342 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2017 - 03:48 PM

Hi again, Buddy.

Yes; I'm trying out the new Linux Skype 'beta' myself in Tahrpup64 (since they're only doing it as a  64-bit app now). 

Have you noticed something? It's identical to the 'Skype for web' interface that's been knocking about for the last year or so... In fact, to all intents and purposes, it essentially is the web app.....just on the desktop.

(Never got married myself; never found anybody daft enough to put up with me..!  :lol:   Never mind; my sister's more than made up for it. She's produced enough for half-a-dozen of us; I've lost track of the number of nephews/nieces and great-nephews/nieces I've got.....)

Trying to remember all their birthdays is a flamin' nightmare..!

If I get any joy with persuading Sis to give WIRE a go, I'll let ya know how I get on with it.

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 16 July 2017 - 03:50 PM.

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, 3 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Logitech c920 HD Pro webcam, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz 400FSB P4, 1.5 GB RAM, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, M$ HD-3000 'Lifecam'.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#7 buddy215

buddy215
  • Topic Starter

• 13,196 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2017 - 05:35 PM

Skype says you can do video calling on its latest Beta for Linux. But....I also see in What advantages has official Skype for Linux over Ghetto Skype? - Microsoft Community

that can't be done. That is one reason why I was looking at Telegram. I intend to buy a newer camera rather than fool with the two older ones I have. I don't like to

fool with trying to get old hardware to work or if something doesn't work then I know it is not because of the hardware or its drivers.

Mike...is what is referred to in that link as Ghetto Skype the same as what you are referring to as Skype for web? Another thought...I really really really don't expect

Microsoft to EVER support Skype in Linux as they do in Windows 10 or Android. That's another reason I want to find something else to do video calling.

#8 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,342 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2017 - 08:56 PM

As I understand it, Ghetto Skype is a 'unofficial' development of Skype for Web by a bunch of devs on GitHub.....mostly centered around trying to figure out why plugins are needed to use the web client, and more to the point, why even changing your user-agent string to MS's Edge browser (supposedly plug-in free) doesn't seem to work...

Have a look here.......and then again here.

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 16 July 2017 - 08:57 PM.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users