Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wireless drops/crashes when a download of any decent size starts.

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 WifiTragedy

WifiTragedy

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:50 AM

Posted 15 July 2017 - 04:31 PM

Make and model of computer: Old HP Pavillion Laptop DV9500
How the computer is connected: Wireless
Make and model of Router: Comcast Arris (Not sure exactly which. If necessary I can go look)
Approximate Distance From the router the PC is if its a wireless connection: 15ft.
What type of internet you have: Cable

Hey all! So, this problem is driving me crazy. Like the title says, whenever I download anything, the speed crashes to zero. Then it bounces around at very slow speeds sometimes crawling back up to a decent speed before crashing again. A good chunk of the time, this causes an apparent loss of IP and inability to load any pages. Flushing the DNS seems to (very) temporarily resolve the issue.

I've tried a number of fixes including updating/rolling back my wifi adapter driver, removing all networks and reconnecting, switching networks, etc. I even called dreaded Comcast. They couldn't find anything wrong on their end, but had me get a new modem anyway. After setting up the new modem, the problem went away for two days, only to come back this morning.

I've checked the event log and see a number of DNS client errors: "...timed out after none of the configured DNS servers responded." A number of DHCP client errors: "Your computer was not assigned an address from the network (by the DHCP Server) for the Network Card with network address..." And a TON of this netw5v64 - event ID 5005 and 5002 which reads as follows:

"The description for Event ID 5005 from source netw5v64 cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event:

\Device\NDMP28 Intel® Wireless WiFi Link 4965AGN

The specified resource type cannot be found in the image file"

Researching the event IDs has got me nowhere really. I have a feeling I'm missing something obvious, and I'm hoping one of you kind souls can help me out before I lose another night of sleep. Or, is my wifi card really just taking a powder? Thanks for taking the time to read this far.

Edit: Added requested info to top.

Edited by WifiTragedy, 15 July 2017 - 05:09 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to 'Networking'

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,744 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:50 PM

Posted 15 July 2017 - 04:41 PM

First of all - welcome to BC !

Second, I have just moved your topic to the Networking section.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 WifiTragedy

WifiTragedy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2017 - 05:05 PM

Thanks and thanks Chris! Sorry. I should have looked more closely at the available options. :/ Cheers!

#4 toofarnorth

toofarnorth

• Members
  • 384 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:50 PM

Posted 16 July 2017 - 08:33 AM

Hello

Question number 1:
Does it work if you use a cable between the modem and the laptop?

tfn

#5 WifiTragedy

WifiTragedy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2017 - 11:11 AM

Hello

Question number 1:
Does it work if you use a cable between the modem and the laptop?

tfn

Hi tfn.
So, yes, it does. Strangely, the download speeds aren't as good as when the wifi is functioning. But, they are consistent which wifi is currently not.

WT

Edited by WifiTragedy, 16 July 2017 - 11:13 AM.

#6 toofarnorth

toofarnorth

• Members
  • 384 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:50 PM

Posted 16 July 2017 - 02:35 PM

Hello

So, the problem lies with the Wifi and not the connection between your cable modem and the internet

There are 2 things I can find when researching the event id's and that is conflict with bluetooth software not properly installed, and WMM settings in the Wifi (both on the cable modem and on your computer)

Have a look at these two posts and see if this helps in any way:

Bluetooth:
https://www.experts-exchange.com/questions/26794238/Intel-PROSet-Wireless-Drivers-Event-ID-5005-in-Source-NETw5x32-cannot-be-found.html
https://www.experts-exchange.com/questions/24313364/Can't-connect-manually-to-access-points.html

WMM:
https://communities.intel.com/thread/27551

Hth!

tfn

#7 WifiTragedy

WifiTragedy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2017 - 08:21 PM

Hello

So, the problem lies with the Wifi and not the connection between your cable modem and the internet

There are 2 things I can find when researching the event id's and that is conflict with bluetooth software not properly installed, and WMM settings in the Wifi (both on the cable modem and on your computer)

Have a look at these two posts and see if this helps in any way:

Bluetooth:
https://www.experts-exchange.com/questions/26794238/Intel-PROSet-Wireless-Drivers-Event-ID-5005-in-Source-NETw5x32-cannot-be-found.html
https://www.experts-exchange.com/questions/24313364/Can't-connect-manually-to-access-points.html

WMM:
https://communities.intel.com/thread/27551

Hth!

tfn

Thanks for your reply tfn!

So, sadly, none of this helped. It kept seeming to stop the problem only for it to come back again and make me sad. Lol.I'll go through my process:

Starting with the WMM/AdHoc suggestion first because it's shorter: I found it was already set to "WMM disabled" in the adpater and the option isn't available on my crappy Comcast Arris modem/router. So, nothing to change there.

The Bluetooth route: This was a much longer journey. I started by attempting to update the drivers for both listed BT options under Network Adapters. No updates were found. I uninstalled both, restarted and let them reinstall. No help. I disabled both and this seemed to stop the problem for about 5 minutes. Downloads appeared to work fine. No 5005/5002. Then it started again. I looked around for something more having to do with BT and found 2 services. Stopped both and set them to manual. Another 5, maybe 10 minutes of working! I did some test downloads. Fine. I logged in to my VPN and downloaded. Fine. I started a test torrent and BOOM. 5005/5002s everywhere. Like, over 1000. So I went searching for more BT related items. "Show hidden devices" revealed an Intel BT controller. Disabled and restarted. Unfortunately, no effect. :( So it appears I have everything BT disabled at the moment and still no luck. I'm noticing some DNS client Event 1014 errors thrown in the mix. "Name resolution for the name isatap.hsd1.ca.comcast.net timed out after none of the configured DNS servers responded." Not sure the relation, but I thought I'd mention it.

Sorry for the long read, but it seems important. Thanks for the help so far!

WT

#8 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,525 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:50 AM

Posted 16 July 2017 - 08:52 PM

"...started a test torrent..."  Does the problem also happen with non-torrent events?

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#9 WifiTragedy

WifiTragedy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2017 - 09:06 PM

"...started a test torrent..."  Does the problem also happen with non-torrent events?

Hello RolandJS!

Yes, it's not specific to torrent downloads. It just seemed to have stopped happening briefly for regular downloads and then was triggered immediately by the torrent starting. It's still occurring sporadically for test regular downloads.

Thanks!
WT

#10 WifiTragedy

WifiTragedy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2017 - 07:43 PM

Hey all. Just wanted to update this post in case someone comes along with the same issue. I've "fixed" the problem. I've been testing it now for 2 hours w/o issue. I will update this if I have a failure, but until then, I'm going to assume it's fixed. Here's the method I used:

1. I downloaded the most up to date driver from here: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/22116 Ignore the "A newer version of this software is available. Click here to get the latest version of this software." The above is the latest functioning version.
  2. Run the downloaded program choosing custom install and only installing the driver itself.
  3. Check in Device Manager to see whether or not the driver was updated. Even though the download says it's v15.3.1, it only updated to v13.4.0.139 for me. It appears that this is normal. If it's not updated, you may have to chose to update driver and point it in the right direction. (I believe Program Files>Intel>Wireless>Drivers, or something to that effect.)
  4. Then, go to the Advanced tab in the adapter properties. Here, you have a choice. I found that changing either "802.11n Channel Width for band 5.2" to 20mhz only OR disabling 802.11n mode entirely solved the problem. With a little experimenting, I found that just switching to 20mhz not only solved the problem but gave me slightly better performance than disabling 802.11n entirely.

I tested it it for about 30 minutes and got no problems. So, I re-enabled all the BT adapters and services that I'd disabled while attempting the fix mentioned further back in the thread. So far, it hasn't triggered any errors.

So, there you are. So far, so good. I don't know why this problem popped up. My belief is it has something to do with moving the router, and the adapter being old. It just might not be capable of properly communicating from the distance and through the objects. Like I said, I will update this if I have any further problems. Until then, I believe it can be marked as SOLVED. :bananas:

Thanks to everyone involved for your help!

WT

Edited by WifiTragedy, 17 July 2017 - 07:46 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users