Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is There Anyway I Can Get My Files Back? (hardrive Problem)

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 BigHav

BigHav

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 PM

Posted 12 September 2006 - 06:00 PM

Alright... well I made 2 previous posts...

I finally got my new computer... but the inside seems slightly different than my old computer. The problem is I can't seem to put my hardrive in there.. the current hardrive is connected by a different input then my old hardrive. I saw some of the white connectors that I usually hook my hardrive up to... the ones that have numbers and letter on em for example p3 p4 p5 etc.

The problem is none of those can reach where my hardrive is placed... so basically I don't think I can install a new hardrive on this comp and im not sure why. The current hardrive in the computer is connected differently...

Anyway I also tried to connect my hardrive as a slave drive on this computer... unfortunatly there was only one slot in the computer and I was unable to do that.

Theses files are EXTREMLEY important to me... and I guess what im asking is if there is any other option for me? Can I take it to a shop or ship it to someone to transfer all the files onto my external drive? OR am I outta luck....

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 BigHav

BigHav
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2006 - 07:07 AM

I was thinkin maybe settin up the hardrive as the main drive on this comp and transferring it with an external.. but i dunno if it'd cause problems.. plus one of my hardrives doesnt have an os installed on it... god this is stressin me out.

#3 Gyro

Gyro

• Members
  • 289 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2006 - 02:51 PM

Well... there are many programs out there that can deal with transfering disc information, but if you want an easy fix, you could always take it to best buy, I believe the geek squad offers transfers of that sort, for... relatively cheap. I mean, i'm not a big fan, but it takes a huge weight off your shoulders, and the faster you get it done, the faster you can stop worrying about esd and bad handling destroying the info on the discs.

#4 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,286 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:49 AM

Posted 13 September 2006 - 03:34 PM

You could always put that hard drive in an external USB case, and transfer the files that way. Just a thought

Da Bleepin AniMod, Animal

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,077 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2006 - 07:44 AM

You can pick up a hard drive enclosure for $20 or less. Make sure that you know the interface (IDE, PATA, SATA, ect) and the width of the hard drive (2.5 or 3.5 inches) before buying. Also, you'll need to decide on USB or Firewire for the interface. But then it'll work as an external USB device without the need to put it in the case.

http://www.pricegrabber.com/search_attrib....1/sortby=priceA
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users