Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Recommend or not CHROMEBOOK for new computer?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 JayJax

JayJax

• Members
  • 723 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:47 AM

Posted 15 July 2017 - 12:28 PM

I am totally unfamiliar with Chromebook but they seem to be a little less expensive?  Is it much different than Windows Systems or hard to learn?  What are key things to know about Chromebook?

Thanks for any input/advice.

BTW I am not looking for gaming computer just a basic reliable computer to use at home for accessing internet and correspondence and photo editing mostly.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 haltandcatchfire

haltandcatchfire

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:47 AM

Posted 15 July 2017 - 02:00 PM

Chromebooks are for the internet. Only.

If you can do everything you need online, great, get a Chromebook. You won't have to worry about most viruses or maintenance.

If you need any special software at all, like Photoshop or even Microsoft Outlook, a Chromebook will run it.

Think of it this way: If your entire day on the computer can be done within Google Chrome, then a Chromebook is a good option.

Let me know if you have any questions about Chromebooks or ChromeOS.

#3 JayJax

JayJax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 723 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2017 - 02:31 PM

Chromebooks are for the internet. Only.

If you can do everything you need online, great, get a Chromebook. You won't have to worry about most viruses or maintenance.

If you need any special software at all, like Photoshop or even Microsoft Outlook, a Chromebook will run it.

Think of it this way: If your entire day on the computer can be done within Google Chrome, then a Chromebook is a good option.

Let me know if you have any questions about Chromebooks or ChromeOS.

Thanks for responding.     Mainly for my photos I use Picasa, Paint and/or Fastone Image Viewer - I use Dropbox and OneDrive - I probably should not get Chrome because I'm not sure I trust Google - not sure who is trustworthy though really.  So if Google were to "disallow" me on YouTube since Google has everything including Gmail are they able to cut off all your services?  I see all kinds of complaints about YouTube cutting people off for violating "community standards" which nowadays seems to be saying anything NON-PC. Sorry if these are silly questions but anyway.  I think I'm getting too old for change.  Oh jeez.

Edited by JayJax, 15 July 2017 - 02:32 PM.

#4 haltandcatchfire

haltandcatchfire

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2017 - 03:00 PM

For your images, if you were to migrate to using Google Photos you would be fine on a Chromebook.

I'm not sure I completely understand where you're going with the YouTube thing, but I can say that if you were banned from YouTube you would still be able to use the rest of your Google Account and Chromebook fine. Do you expect that you'll be banned for violating community standards??

Dropbox and OneDrive web interfaces work fine on a Chromebook, but obviously Google Drive is more integrated and a little easier to access.

#5 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,277 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2017 - 09:17 PM

Chromebooks are basically the linux kernel (what android is based off by the way) but with a modified version of chome on it.

Chrome OS is not really a full fledged OS unlike say Windows or OSX on a Mac but they are very useful if you just want a computer to browse.

But if you want a full fledged system then yes chromebooks will limit you.

They are cheap for a reason, not offering the same amount of apps that android does nor as many as windows.

I am not opposed to chromebooks myself as they are great for people who only use a computer to browse the web, but if you want to play any games, use windows programs or anything very complex then they are not for you.

For people like my mother who owns a Chromebook its a great solution as she only uses her computer for web browsing, she doesnt use her machine to create spreadsheets, word documents, play steam games, compile applications, programming or any other computer task.

Now yes technically you can use a chromebook to create word documents and spreadsheets and the like as Microsoft office online is available on chromebooks.

But full fledged MS office isn't, nor are there any real photo editing programs like photoshop on them.

As long as you are aware of the limitations and know that you cannot install your favorite .exe on them then they are quite capable, of course i really wish Google would finally merge chromeOS and android already as you can use a keyboard and mouse in android with a little tweaking to make it comparable to a desktop interface like you do in windows or OSX or main line linux distros like Mint.

Edited by MadmanRB, 15 July 2017 - 09:28 PM.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

#6 JayJax

JayJax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 723 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2017 - 12:08 AM

For your images, if you were to migrate to using Google Photos you would be fine on a Chromebook.

I'm not sure I completely understand where you're going with the YouTube thing, but I can say that if you were banned from YouTube you would still be able to use the rest of your Google Account and Chromebook fine. Do you expect that you'll be banned for violating community standards??

Dropbox and OneDrive web interfaces work fine on a Chromebook, but obviously Google Drive is more integrated and a little easier to access.

No, normally I would not be concerned - I have had a You Tube Account in good standing, no strikes or complaints for about 10 years - I only said that because I have seen other people saying that mostly people who upload videos are getting strikes where in the past they were not.  Since I dont make videos and haven't had a problem I'm not particularly concerned other than that I see an increase in censorship taking place - but that doesn't have anything to do with which OS is being used, its a whole other issue.  Freedom of speech and the issue of net censorship (who decides what's "okay"?) are important issues that can affect us all.   I think I will stick with Windows for the increased flexibility but I appreciate the insight/info.

#7 JayJax

JayJax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 723 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2017 - 12:14 AM

Chromebooks are basically the linux kernel (what android is based off by the way) but with a modified version of chome on it.

Chrome OS is not really a full fledged OS unlike say Windows or OSX on a Mac but they are very useful if you just want a computer to browse.

But if you want a full fledged system then yes chromebooks will limit you.

They are cheap for a reason, not offering the same amount of apps that android does nor as many as windows.

I am not opposed to chromebooks myself as they are great for people who only use a computer to browse the web, but if you want to play any games, use windows programs or anything very complex then they are not for you.

For people like my mother who owns a Chromebook its a great solution as she only uses her computer for web browsing, she doesnt use her machine to create spreadsheets, word documents, play steam games, compile applications, programming or any other computer task.

Now yes technically you can use a chromebook to create word documents and spreadsheets and the like as Microsoft office online is available on chromebooks.

But full fledged MS office isn't, nor are there any real photo editing programs like photoshop on them.

As long as you are aware of the limitations and know that you cannot install your favorite .exe on them then they are quite capable, of course i really wish Google would finally merge chromeOS and android already as you can use a keyboard and mouse in android with a little tweaking to make it comparable to a desktop interface like you do in windows or OSX or main line linux distros like Mint.

Thank you for the information and clarifying for me what exactly is involved that makes Chromebook different.   I think based on the information I've gotten here I will plan on sticking with Windows - for greater program flexibiity.   I do use spreadsheets sometimes. I think its not worth saving a few dollars and possibly running into program problems.   I guess I'm getting older and stuck in my ways - don't pick up new stuff as quickly as I used to.   Before I hadn't a clue about Chrome so this info is good to have.

#8 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:47 PM

Posted 16 July 2017 - 06:01 AM

I think you meant to say that Chromebook will not run it.:)

#9 JayJax

JayJax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 723 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2017 - 11:00 PM

I think you meant to say that Chromebook will not run it. :)

I'm confused I guess but anyway I have decided against Chromebook but appreciate everyone time and input.

#10 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,277 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2017 - 11:03 PM

Indeed, but if you want a really cool Christmas gift for your parents/foster parents/grandparents/relatives who are up in years and need a bare bones computer its not a bad option at all

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

#11 heartsofull

heartsofull

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:47 AM

Posted 21 July 2017 - 06:27 AM

MadmanRB, I use chromebook and I too wish Google would merge with Android. I'm sure one of the company's genuses has already thought about doing this. Who knows it could be in the works.

Sometimes I have wondered...I can plug an external T1 to save large files for me and I have no problems with it. Is it possible to plug an external dvd drive and have it work using Chrome OS?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users