Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

RESTORING NATIVE SCREEN RESOLUTION

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 JayJax

JayJax

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:36 AM

Posted 15 July 2017 - 11:58 AM

SOMEHOW I have screwed up my screen resolution and I have tried following instructions to restore but its not working - whatever I manage to reset it to I get a message that its not set right but there are only 3 choices that it lets me choose none of which are the ones they say I need.  I am going by my screen size (15 inches) - I don't know how much of this is responsible but the clarity and sharpness of the screen seems "off" too.

PART OF THE PROBLEM is that I cannot access the bottom part of the screen to accept or cancel setting - there is something, a menu bar or something depending on the program which shows where the accept/cancel option is.

Seems this should be simple to fix but I've been trying to fix periodically for over a month so if you can help it would make my day and I would bless you forever (not that counts for anything though since I'm just a regular joe/schmuck) !  :bowdown:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zainmax

zainmax

• Banned
  • 344 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:36 PM

Posted 15 July 2017 - 12:06 PM

What's Your display/monitor and what is the recommended resolution in pixels.

What is currently in use. If You don't know, visit this page (my site) and it shows.

Some default resolutions

Spoiler

Edited by zainmax, 15 July 2017 - 12:33 PM.

#3 JayJax

JayJax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2017 - 01:06 PM

853 x 480 is what it shows at your link but that is not what I have it set at - its supposed to be 1280 x 720 so obviously I don't know what I'm doing this is very confusing for something that seems like it should be straightforward.   How can i have it set at one thing and it says something else?

I'm clueless.

#4 zainmax

zainmax

• Banned
  • 344 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:36 PM

Posted 15 July 2017 - 01:28 PM

The ratio of the measurements is correct, probably there is a problem with the driver or settings, it is unlikely that the video card, but never say never...
Perhaps there is someone who knows better.

Sorry, I forgot to ask - is this the only problem or is there something else weird, something seems not to be as should?

Edited by zainmax, 15 July 2017 - 01:34 PM.

#5 JayJax

JayJax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2017 - 02:22 PM

The ratio of the measurements is correct, probably there is a problem with the driver or settings, it is unlikely that the video card, but never say never...
Perhaps there is someone who knows better.

Sorry, I forgot to ask - is this the only problem or is there something else weird, something seems not to be as should?

Thanks, its just that nothing appears to "fit" - this is one of the most confusing things ever -- how is one to know what their settings are or are supposed to be?  My laptop will probably need replacing before long.   The online instructions about this make no sense.

Other than exploring / getting info about which laptop to buy everything seems to be functioning relatively well.

#6 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,912 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:36 PM

Posted 15 July 2017 - 04:14 PM

Since you have posted in the Win 8/8.1 OS section is it safe to assume you are running a laptop on this OS ?

If this is the case, and in almost any Windows OS I am familar with, RIGHT click on a blank piece of your desktop. This brings up a small menu with, second bottom, an entry 'Screen resolution'. Click on this and the screen resolution panel will appear. Almost exactly in the middle of this screen you will see an option box labelled 'Resolution'. It should show something like '1366 x 768 (Recommended)'. If it doesn't, click on the down pointing arrow at the end of this box and you will get a slider. Move the slider to the top of the scale then click 'Apply' then 'OK'.

You may get a screen asking if you wish to keep these changed settings, accept, and that's it

Chris Cosgrove

#7 JayJax

JayJax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2017 - 12:00 AM

Since you have posted in the Win 8/8.1 OS section is it safe to assume you are running a laptop on this OS ?

If this is the case, and in almost any Windows OS I am familar with, RIGHT click on a blank piece of your desktop. This brings up a small menu with, second bottom, an entry 'Screen resolution'. Click on this and the screen resolution panel will appear. Almost exactly in the middle of this screen you will see an option box labelled 'Resolution'. It should show something like '1366 x 768 (Recommended)'. If it doesn't, click on the down pointing arrow at the end of this box and you will get a slider. Move the slider to the top of the scale then click 'Apply' then 'OK'.

You may get a screen asking if you wish to keep these changed settings, accept, and that's it

Chris Cosgrove

Thanks, that's what I've been trying to do - but I'm confused why you say it should be 1366 x 768 when above with the other setting you said it was right?   I did change the settings for type/font size which seems to have helped somewhat and better than it was so what with your information and this change its an improvement so thanks for your help.

#8 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,983 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:36 PM

Posted 16 July 2017 - 04:39 AM

I'm confused why you say it should be 1366 x 768 when above with the other setting you said it was right?

We have no way to know what the native resolution is for your screen, as we don't know what model of computer you have. Examples given are just of what might be expected. When you said 1280x720, do you know for certain that is the native resolution of the screen?

Top 5 things that never get done:

#9 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,912 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:36 PM

Posted 16 July 2017 - 04:57 PM

The only thing I said was 'right' was 'Right Click' !

The 1366 x 768 I used as an example is the native resolution of the laptop I fired up to check that Win 8/8.1 worked the same as any other Windows laptop. Regardless, if you push that slider to the top of its range you will be at the native resolution for your screen - whatever it is. Usually there is no reason to move the screen resolution off this setting.

Changing the font size settings does not affect screen resolution, it just effectively changes the fonts in buttons and menus from say 10 point to 12 or 14 point.

Chris Cosgrove

#10 JayJax

JayJax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2017 - 10:44 PM

I'm confused why you say it should be 1366 x 768 when above with the other setting you said it was right?

We have no way to know what the native resolution is for your screen, as we don't know what model of computer you have. Examples given are just of what might be expected. When you said 1280x720, do you know for certain that is the native resolution of the screen?

I don't know then the purpose of going to the link Zainmax provided when I was asked if I knew what it was or anything.   I appreciate his help but now I'm more confused than ever.  It's working so I guess I will leave it at that.   My computer tells me I'm not at the right resolution but that changes based on whatever its set on.   The whole thing is frustrating.   I'll just leave it as it is but I appreciate everyone's efforts to help.  If a moderator can delete this thread I should not have opened it, sorry.

Edited by JayJax, 17 July 2017 - 10:57 PM.

#11 JayJax

JayJax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2017 - 10:48 PM

The only thing I said was 'right' was 'Right Click' !

The 1366 x 768 I used as an example is the native resolution of the laptop I fired up to check that Win 8/8.1 worked the same as any other Windows laptop. Regardless, if you push that slider to the top of its range you will be at the native resolution for your screen - whatever it is. Usually there is no reason to move the screen resolution off this setting.

Changing the font size settings does not affect screen resolution, it just effectively changes the fonts in buttons and menus from say 10 point to 12 or 14 point.

Chris Cosgrove

I don't know, its working well enough - I can't remember anymore how it was or why it got changed but it did but as confusing as it is I'm just going to leave it as is.  I appreciate your input but had I known how confusing the whole thing is and remains I should have not pursued the whole thing and wasted everyone's time.   I don't know the purpose of the link Zainmax gave me if I'm now told there's no way to know.  The whole thing has gotten too convoluted and confusing - I don't know what my native resolution is, why/how it was changed or what its on now..   I'll just deal with it as it is but I appreciate everyone's efforts to help but I won't pursue it further as I don't want to take up anymore of your time.

Edited by JayJax, 17 July 2017 - 10:55 PM.

#12 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,983 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:36 PM

Posted 18 July 2017 - 12:36 AM

Why not tell us what model of computer we're dealing with so we can find out for sure what the correct screen resolution is and give more precise assistance? If it is a laptop, the brand and complete model number, if it's a desktop system, the brand and full model number of the monitor.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#13 JayJax

JayJax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2017 - 01:13 PM

Why not tell us what model of computer we're dealing with so we can find out for sure what the correct screen resolution is and give more precise assistance? If it is a laptop, the brand and complete model number, if it's a desktop system, the brand and full model number of the monitor.

PLEASE DISREGARD THE TWO ATTACHMENTS I MEANT TO ADD THEM TO ANOTHER THREAD AND DON'T KNOW HOW TO DELETE THEM.

I have two computers - this is about the Dell Laptop - this is from my Profile and it is mainly about the laptop/Windows 8.1  but i will check and see if I can gather more information.

• Operating System
    Mountain Lion 11.2 Windows 8.1 (2 computers)
  •  
  •  
  • Computer
    Apple IMac and also a Dell Laptop
  • CPU
    Intel Core i3
  • Motherboard
    Inspiron 3541 CNInspiron 35417620649J02E4
  • Ram
    4 GB
  • Storage
    499 GB
  • Video Card
    ATI Radeon HD 4670
  • Soundcard
    Realtek Semiconductor Corp. Driver Version 6.0.1.7161, 1-21-2014
  • Power Supply
    Lithium ION DELL FW1MN31 SMP-SDI2.8

Attached Files

Edited by JayJax, 22 July 2017 - 01:29 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users