Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

DVD & Webcam driver problem

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 custard

custard

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:10 AM

Posted 15 July 2017 - 04:14 AM

Hello,

I recently bought a secondhand PC from ebay - a Dell Vostro 230, running Windows 7 Pro 64-bit. All it had on was the Win 7 OS, so I set about copying files, downloading the programs I use etc.

I have a webcam that worked fine on my Windows Vista PC (Trust WB-3400T webcam), so I plugged it in and inserted the CD with drivers etc on it into the DVD-RW drive (HL-DT-ST DVD+-RW GH50N ATA).

The DVD worked fine - the window opened on the screen and I clicked to install drivers - then I removed the disc and thought that was that. Later, however, when I downloaded Skype, I noticed that the camera wasn't working.

I opened Device Manager and could see a '!' on the webcam, so I set about updating drivers - but with no success. At the same time, I noticed a '!' on the DVD drive listing. I tried to use the drive with a couple of different discs, but nothing was visible on-screen. I tried updating the DVD drivers, again with no success.

So, it seems that my DVD was working fine, but after I installed the webcam software, neither the DVD drive or the webcam are working.

I have since spent about 36 hours Googling the problem and trying countless methods of downloading new drivers, re-building the INFCACHE.1 file... you name it, I've done it. I even tried doing a system restore right back to before I inserted the webcam disc, but there was an error that wouldn't let me go that far back (a file it couldn't access, or something).

The last thing I did was to do a thorough uninstall of all the webcam stuff, but the DVD is still not working.

I feel sure it can't be a hardware fault. It seems unlikely that both would fail at the same time. It seems like some kind of conflict - but then uninstalling the webcam didn't help.

Whatever I do with drivers on Device Manager, I end up with a message like the one attached.

Can anyone help me get my DVD and webcam working?

Many thanks.

Attached File  DVD-RW message.PNG   26.15KB   0 downloads

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 5,705 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:10 AM

Posted 15 July 2017 - 04:38 PM

Windows normally uses its own built in drivers for DVD drives. Go back into Device manager and get to the DVD drive properties panel then uninstall all the drivers for the DVD drive. Then re-boot. When the system re-boots Windows will re-install the drivers. Then try the DVD drive again. I would also try it with a video DVD and perhaps an audio CD as well just to test whether or not it is playing video and audio.

There is always the possibility that the DVD drive may just have upped and died. If it still doesn't work after you have uninstalled and re-installed you will need to check this. The only effective way to do this is to fit a different unit. A quick Google suggests this computer comes in three versions - standard tower, mini tower and all-in-one. If you have the standard tower the drives are easy to change, widely available and fairly cheap. The mini tower uses a vertically mounted drive. These should be easy enough to change - I have never had to take one to pieces - and these drives are a little harder to source because they are less common. The all-in-ones I have no experience of.

As for your web-cam drivers. If the manufacturer is still in business have you tried their web-site to see if they have Win 7 drivers ?  Vista drivers will often work in Win 7 but not always.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 custard

custard
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2017 - 12:58 PM

Thanks, Chris, for your suggestions.

I tried what you said about uninstalling the DVD drivers and rebooting - but it still does not work.

Ditto trying it with a video DVD.

I downloaded and installed the webcam Win 7 drivers from the Trust website, but it did not work (I presume you just download them, run the set-up prog, then click 'Search automatically for updated drivers' in Device Manager?).

Although it is possible it might be a hardware problem, it seems a coincidence that the webcam failed at the same time. The DVD worked, and only stopped working when I used it to install the webcam drivers.

If it helps, I have attached an image of what I see when I open Device Manager.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Attached File  DevMan.PNG   33.59KB   1 downloads

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 20,843 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:10 AM

Posted 16 July 2017 - 01:30 PM

Right click the DVD drive > Properties. What is listed as the error?

Do method 5. If deleting the Upper and Lower filters does not work then delete the whole subkey.{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

Make sure you are deleting the correct key. Before doing any registry edits create a restore point first.

then 6 if 5 does not solve the problem.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/314060/your-cd-or-dvd-drive-is-not-recognized-by-windows-or-other-programs

After getting a functional DVD drive I would create a System Repair Disk as soon as possible.

Edited by JohnC_21, 16 July 2017 - 01:38 PM.

#5 custard

custard
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2017 - 04:03 AM

Thanks for your help, JohnC...

When I right click the DVD drive, in the Device Status box it says: 'Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)'

And, sorry, I don't know what you mean by "Do method 5" etc. Could you please explain as it sounds promising :)

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 20,843 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2017 - 07:49 AM

Click on the underlined link. On that make scroll down to Method 5: Fix corrupted registry entries.

#7 custard

custard
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2017 - 09:07 AM

That's it! Thank you John - your suggestion has fixed the DVD drive.

Once the DVD was working, I re-installed the Win 7 drivers for the webcam and did an update in device manager - but it still has the same problem. Do you have any suggestions for that?

Thanks again.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 20,843 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2017 - 11:46 AM

The webcam issue?

Is there a yellow exclamation mark next to the webcam? Right click your Webcam in Device Manager and select Properties. Under the Details tab select Hardware IDs. Copy and paste the first line into your next post.

#9 custard

custard
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2017 - 12:14 PM

Yes, see the previous posts - the webcam and the DVD problem occurred simultaneously.

I've attached what I see when I follow your instructions.

Many thanks.

Attached File  webcam.PNG   23.65KB   0 downloads

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 20,843 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2017 - 01:19 PM

Did you download the Windows 7 64bit driver from here?

http://www.trust.com/en/product/14383-hires-webcam-wb-3400t

Edit: There are two versions of the driver offered in the dropdown box. The number for your camera may be on a sticker.

Edited by JohnC_21, 17 July 2017 - 01:21 PM.

#11 custard

custard
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2017 - 02:22 PM

Yes - 14383-02_02.exe is the one I need.

I presume I did it correctly: I downloaded it to my Downloads folder, double-clicked to install it, clicked Update Driver in Device Manager and selected 'Search automatically for updated driver software'.

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 20,843 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2017 - 02:31 PM

I  believe all you had to do was simply double click the exe file to install the driver. I could not find anything other than the Trust site for that particular PID and VID other than the manufacturer of the chipset, 0C45 is Microdia. I could not find the required PID in any of the drivers I looked at.

http://pcidatabase.com/vendor_details.php?id=1664

You may need to budget for a new webcam. Everywhere I looked it seems they only support 32bit but I have a cheap generic webcam that is plug and play on Window 7 64bit.

For Example: you can contact the seller and ask if the webcam is plug and play on Windows 7 64bit

Edited by JohnC_21, 17 July 2017 - 02:32 PM.

#13 custard

custard
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2017 - 02:55 PM

Yes, I think I'll invest in a new - more compatible - webcam.

Many thanks for all your help and advice.

#14 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 20,843 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2017 - 03:04 PM

Your Welcome, good luck. If you are looking for a good 720p or 1080p camera then those will run higher than what I showed on ebay.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/logitech-hd-webcam-c525-black/1722057.p?skuId=1722057

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users