Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Vista Busniess on Intel Core 2 Duo T5800

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Niding

Niding

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:16 AM

Posted 15 July 2017 - 04:05 AM

So, at work I pass a TV showing a presentation 24/7, which contained outdated info, and noone was tasked with fixing this. So I decided to take it home and update the presentation.

At the same time I obviously started to update the OS and the programs on the computer. OCD gene kicks in and all that.

But since the computer hasnt been updated in years its still on Service Pack 1 (32 bit system). I got access to free Windows 7 64 bit, and Im a bit hesitant installing that onto the computer, since I dont have CDs for the Vista incase a clean install of Windows 7 64 bit doesnt work. Ive read mixed comments wether or not the computer bios setup will support it.

When I try install the manually downloaded Service Pack 2 (Filename Windows6.0-KB948465-x86) and install it;

"Installation failed" Error: ERROR_HANDLE_EOF(0x80070026)

When I do the automatic update;

Windows Update finds 1 important update: Service Pack 2 (KB948465).

Error code 80070026

The last successful update wss KB970158

Version is Norwegian.

I might just accept the fact that I cant update Vista to Service Pack 2, and carry on with life after Ive updated the presentation, but its really bugging me. :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 5,363 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:16 AM

Posted 15 July 2017 - 05:11 PM

If the computer has a 32 bit system you cannnot run a 64 bit OS on it. 'Control panel - System' will tell you whether the computer has a 32 or 64 bit system.

"So I decided to take it home and update the presentation.".  This shows remarkable, indeed courageous, initiative !  Since this is apparently a business computer do you have the Admin permissions to update the OS ?  If you don't have the Admin authority to do this then you won't be able to. Even if you do have this authority by putting a different OS on it you could be creating a licensing problem for your employers.

I suggest that a better approach would be to copy the presentation files and then update them on your own computer and then show this work to whoever is responsible for this computer before you go and put the revised version on the computer.

Chris Cosgrove

I am going to be away for a couple of weeks from Sunday 24 September with variable internet connectivity. PMs may not be answered as promptly as usual.

#3 Niding

Niding
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:16 AM

Posted 15 July 2017 - 05:53 PM

:) Indeed.

I did mention it to the owner of the computer, and there will be no issue with licensing.

As for the admin access, yes, I have ability to logon as the Admin. Its not a networked computer beyond being on internet as a lone computer, so it wont have any ripple effects for the operational computers at the building.

Ive updated what I could on the OS, the programs AND the presentation. So its all running as its intended now. It just bothers me that I cant update to Service Pack 2. To perform its function it doesnt need Service Pack 2, but gather its needed for alot of updates going forward (nevermind the now non-exsistant automatic updates for Vista).

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 5,363 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:16 AM

Posted 16 July 2017 - 05:15 PM

If this computer is connected to the internet then it certainly would be a good idea to have as many updates as possible installed since Vista went end of life in April this year. There are a number of good threads in this very section about Vista updates. However one viable option for the service packs is to just download them , then burn them to a CD and install them from the CD. I still have SP1 and 2 for XP sitting on a CD somewhere. I am just a natural born hoarder !

The 'courageous' bit was a reference to a British TV sit-com called 'Yes, Minister', one of the funniest political series ever -

'A bold decision, Minister'              =  This could cost you your job.

'A courageous decision, Minister'  =  This could cause the Government to fall.

Chris Cosgrove

I am going to be away for a couple of weeks from Sunday 24 September with variable internet connectivity. PMs may not be answered as promptly as usual.

#5 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:16 PM

Posted 16 July 2017 - 05:19 PM

The 'courageous' bit was a reference to a British TV sit-com called 'Yes, Minister', one of the funniest political series ever -

'A bold decision, Minister'              =  This could cost you your job.

'A courageous decision, Minister'  =  This could cause the Government to fall.

Chris Cosgrove

Great show...was shown on PBS in the U.S.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users