Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Home network for computation

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 jimmyl02

jimmyl02

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:45 AM

Posted 15 July 2017 - 12:43 AM

Hi everyone, 

I recently obtained a fully complete computer with a high-end gpu. I was wondering which techniques I could use in order to allow access to the processing power granted by the gpu, specifically for deep learning, to other devices in the network? The computer will be connected to the network through ethernet.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2017 - 11:15 PM

I take it you didn't know that gpu stands for graphics processing unit as in what a video card uses for video display.
Unclear what you mean by "deep learning" but the gpu can't be shared with other network devices.

#3 jimmyl02

jimmyl02
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2017 - 12:34 AM

@Wand3r3r

For machine learning right now, GPUs are commonly used to decrease training times on models. For example, things which would normally take days would be reduced to a couple of hours. After asking around, and for others looking at this thread, I decided that the best solution would probably be to setup both ssh and rdp, so I can easily access the server when I need a desktop to be displayed but also issue commands to the server at a low cost.

#4 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:45 AM

Posted 17 July 2017 - 12:39 AM

I take it you didn't know that gpu stands for graphics processing unit as in what a video card uses for video display.
Unclear what you mean by "deep learning" but the gpu can't be shared with other network devices.

He's talking about this...

http://timdettmers.com/2017/04/09/which-gpu-for-deep-learning/

#5 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:45 AM

Posted 17 July 2017 - 12:40 AM

@Wand3r3r

For machine learning right now, GPUs are commonly used to decrease training times on models. For example, things which would normally take days would be reduced to a couple of hours. After asking around, and for others looking at this thread, I decided that the best solution would probably be to setup both ssh and rdp, so I can easily access the server when I need a desktop to be displayed but also issue commands to the server at a low cost.

RDP will open you up to ransomware attacks.

VPN would be a better solution.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users