Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Update Questions

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Nancy9108

Nancy9108

• Members
  • 147 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:01 AM

Posted 14 July 2017 - 04:52 PM

Mod Edit:  Split from https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/650761/new-install-of-win-7-win-updates-trash-it/ - Hamluis.

Hello,

Has there been any consensus about the updating of Windows 7 professional?  For the first time I ran the updates that came in - marked as important , on the 12th of July (Wednesday after Patch Tuesday) and then spent all day Wednesday trying to get my computer to work.  All it would do is try to install the downloaded updates which took 4 hours. After another attempt again it tried to configure taking 4 hours. 

I had a friend attempt to fix the computer, however after 2 hours we had to run an advanced boot option.  I was able to get my desktop back.  Previous to that I had no internet, no flash drive and basically the computer would hang up.  We determined that it was KB402534 AND KB890830 update that caused the problem.  It also said my windows program was not genuine and after build 7601, however that was not correct.  Software purchased from Dell new.  

After the advanced boot I had to go back to an earlier point (lost a week of work) and now the computer appears to intermittently hang up.  I also had to figure out how to "hide" the 2 updates so it would not continually attempt to install on the computer.    August 8th - the next Microsoft patch will come out and I do not know if I should update or not. I have been told to keep the computer updated by running Microsoft updates.  Do I do that?   I have a 32 year old quadriplegic son on life support and the use of this computer is medically necessary and extremely important. . 

I would appreciate any recommendations as to a program that would assist me in getting the computer back to the great performance it previously had.  Bleeping computer has bailed me out before and I trust the recommendations.  Two weeks it was discovered that I had a false positive Trojan and bleeping computer.com assisted me.  Are there any opinions on whether to update or not?  I use Malwarebytes, Avast, Glary Utilities. 

Any suggestions?  Thank you for any assistance.

Nancy

Edited by hamluis, 14 July 2017 - 09:32 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:01 AM

Posted 14 July 2017 - 04:56 PM

The first suggestion is to take your keyboard off CAPs LOCK and use paragraphs so your post is readable...

All caps is considered yelling on Internet forums, and no paragraphs are "walls of text" that a majority of people will simply ignore.

Thanks.

Edited by jwoods301, 14 July 2017 - 04:58 PM.

#3 Nancy9108

Nancy9108
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 147 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2017 - 05:02 PM

Hi,  Very sorry, I do apologize.  It is just after the past 2 days I have felt like yelling.  I will edit the document and put it into the correct format.  I again apologize?  Any suggestions regarding what I asked about.

Thank you.

Nancy

#4 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2017 - 05:04 PM

When I am able to read it, I will be glad to.

#5 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,483 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2017 - 05:49 PM

Hi,  Very sorry, I do apologize.  It is just after the past 2 days I have felt like yelling.  I will edit the document and put it into the correct format.  I again apologize?  Any suggestions regarding what I asked about.

Thank you.

Nancy

Please start your own Thread with an appropriate title, and as much clear info as possible, just the facts, no need for a long long post to get the facts.  Windows 7 Pro, Updates just like Windows  7 Home Premium etc.  Open bleepingcomputer in another tab and Copy Paste the info above into your new Thread if that will save you time.  Then you can edit it if needed also.

If you can, use this Tutorial to post a Speccy Chart.  If this is too much for you then just wait for members to ask for you to provide info.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/323892/publish-a-snapshot-using-speccy/#entry1797792

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#6 Nancy9108

Nancy9108
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 147 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2017 - 05:51 PM

Thank you for your constructive recommendation PC Punk.  I will follow your instruction. Tried and nothing would copy.  I give up.  It appears not only can I not get some input but I can't seem to put it in the right place, topic, forum, tab etc.  Giving up tonight.  Now I understand why Best Buy geek squad gets such business and Dell can charge $239.00 to fix peoples computer.  If you would just realize I am tired, still have the responsibilities of a quadriplegic son on life support then maybe someone could step up and help me rather than be critical of my typing, formatting, caps because it enables me to see better.   I will have to see what I can muster up tomorrow and try ti figure out what to do. 

I do hope you all have a good night.    

Nancy

Edited by Nancy9108, 14 July 2017 - 06:04 PM.

#7 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,483 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2017 - 07:53 PM

Personally I have no problem with you posting here, but this is Manshead's Thread, and some consider it rude to Hijack a thread.  Considering your situation you could go ahead and continue here and just see what happens.  Were all glad to help, but sometimes forget how hard and frustrating it is to post, start threads etc when you are new at all this.  

Unfortunately I am not all that good at fixing these things, but rather have developed ways of doing it right the first time.  So just tell us if you want to continue and I will message a few people that will better suited to help.  And if you want me to start a new thread for you just stay so, it will be under my Username though. 

For the first time I ran the updates that came in

Does this mean this is a new Install of Windows 7 PRO?

Software purchased from Dell new.  

You are speaking of the Install Media?

This Install Media was designed for you pc right?

I have been told to keep the computer updated by running Microsoft updates.  Do I do that? 

Yes, once the system is running properly all Important Updates should be allowed to be Downloaded and Installed.

DO YOU HAVE ALL YOUR IMPORTANT FILES BACKED UP IN CASE THINGS GO WRONG?

PLEASE BACK-UP ALL YOUR FILES TO A USB OR SOME KIND OF EXTERNAL DRIVE.

Wish you and your son well!

pcpunk

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#8 Nancy9108

Nancy9108
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 147 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2017 - 07:54 PM

MR MODERATOR,  Please delete all my posts.  I can not figure out how to do that.  I am unable to find any help and I will have to figure out what other forum I can go to get help.  The first question I did not evidently put my information into the correct format/wording/etc.  The second post asked me to start my own topic and go somewhere else.  So that is what I am needing to do.  I don't have enough experience with this group to figure out what I am supposed to do.  I was just trying to get help.  Please delete all my posts in this forum.

Thank you.

Nancy

Mod Edit:  Split OP issues into new topic for OP - Hamluis.

Edited by hamluis, 14 July 2017 - 09:34 PM.

#9 Nancy9108

Nancy9108
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 147 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2017 - 08:01 PM

Pc Punk  I did not know anything about hijacking a topic?  I just went into a section that I thought was the best match for what I was having.

#10 Nancy9108

Nancy9108
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 147 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2017 - 08:08 PM

I am trying to figure out how to respond to your questions.  Do I answer one at a time?

No not a new install - have been using this computer for 4 years.  Always updated and no problems - this time problems

on the desktop it said it was not a genuine Windows program - think that message was because of the update.

I have just cloud and it is supposed to be backing up the computer but really I have no idea if it is really doing that.  I just let the program work. 

No the update knocked out the computer.  No internet, no flash drive 4 hours of waiting for the install to configure on the computer to get desktop back

Had to boot computer and push F8 button and have the computer "repair your computer"

I have a huge amount of medical data/medical photos/medical email on the computer.  Don't know how to back up computer.  Other than pay for just cloud and have it back up.  But again I don't know if it is backing things up or not.

I asked to be deleted but if you are willing to help me I can stay, but I don't know how to start a different topic and where is that done?  I did not know I was hijacking anything.  Sorry.

At least you answered me and I just have to try to figure out how to back up the computer.

Thank you,   Yes please start a new "thread" and let me know what I am to do.  I have to get my son to bed.  I will have to come back tomorrow. He is a quadriplegic on a ventilator (like Christopher Reeves was) and is completely dependent on my help so I am not able to spend hours trying to fix this but I have to try otherwise I can not help him without this computer.  I have never had this much trouble with a computer. (Aura helped me 2 weeks ago and said that a false positive Trojan was discovered and there was nothing that I needed to do)  Malwarebytes said there was a Trojan (warning) but he said it was a false positive after I sent him some logs.  (took me hours to figure out how to send logs).  I am a novice, use the computer for email Dr, medical equipment etc.

Thank you again.

Nancy

Edited by Nancy9108, 14 July 2017 - 08:17 PM.

#11 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2017 - 08:20 PM

Thanks for reformatting your original post...it makes it much easier for us to help you and pull out important details.

Let's work on the computer's performance issues first, and take the rest one at a time.

Please download and run the portable version of Windows Repair (All-In-One) by Tweaking.com

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/tweaking_com_windows_repair_portable.html

After that is complete, let us know if there is any improvement.

I will ask a moderator to create a new thread for you in the Windows 7 forum, so that things won't get confusing as to who we are helping.

Edited by jwoods301, 14 July 2017 - 08:55 PM.

#12 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,483 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2017 - 08:59 PM

I have "just cloud" and it is supposed to be backing up the computer but really I have no idea if it is really doing that. "

It looks as though this is a Paid only program, but there is an option to get 1GB of storage for free, maybe that is what you did?  If you got it for free as a promotional deal you would have had to still create an account, do you have your user id and password?  This way at least you can check if it is active and working.  Maybe you exceeded the limit and now they want a fee paid, I don't know? 

No internet, no flash drive 4 hours of waiting for the install to configure on the computer to get desktop back

Had to boot computer and push F8 button and have the computer "repair your computer"

This is a little confusing, the computer is not working, or is it just the Internet not working now?

At this point, if it were me, and all those files and pictures are important, I would bring it to someone that can Copy all your files etc. to a USB just to be safe.  Usually Medical establishments have online records you can access, although this may not be as good as the records you are keeping now.

If the computer is working well enough to Copy your files to a USB now, this would be good, especially if money is a concern.  Maybe your local church has an IT guy that will do this for free, you'll need to look into these things if needed.

You can also run the tool jwoods301 has linked you to to start out, but I think you need more help than that.  Really...I know about health issues!  If you are in need, try to get some help from some kind of charity, church etc. to get your files backed up, or/and maybe even fix the computer for free.  Don't attempt to much on your own IMO, as it may be harder to recover all those files if the drive is corrupted even more.

Good luck, I'll keep up as much as possilbe

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#13 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2017 - 09:21 PM

You can also run the tool jwoods301 has linked you to to start out, but I think you need more help than that.

That's why I said one thing at a time.

I've contacted the mods to see if we can get a new thread for Nancy, and this one cleaned up.

Mod Edit:  Done - Hamluis.

Edited by hamluis, 14 July 2017 - 09:36 PM.

#14 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2017 - 11:21 PM

Thank you Louis.

#15 Nancy9108

Nancy9108
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 147 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2017 - 05:59 PM

Good Evening JWoods and PC Punk. 

I am happy to report to both of you that I took my computer to a professional computer company and they have straightened everything out.  Not only was the hard drive about to fail after 5 years but also the files, documents were set up incorrectly.  After pouring over 8 back up WD boxes most of them had duplicated information and 2 did not work.  The company that I worked with installed software that is up to date, an online backup system and my computer runs faster than it did on day one.  I have had to many neighbors work on the computer and being penny wise and pound foolish I will stop doing that.   I am extremely happy that I took PC Punk's advice and yes the problems were larger than expected.  For that I thank you so much.  I highly respect this forum and everything you all are trying to do BUT once in awhile problems are greater than on the surface and for true novice, such as myself, taking the computer somewhere to be worked on was the only choice.

Thank you all again and Moderator, yes please close all my forums.

Bless you all and thank you.

Nancy

Edited by Nancy9108, 19 July 2017 - 06:00 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users