Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installation problem on windows 7 using usb

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ksinley

ksinley

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:09 PM

Posted 14 July 2017 - 09:12 PM

Hello, I am trying to install windows 7 via a USB stick onto a laptop that I had to replace a HDD, I downloaded the OEM of windows 7 professional and used the program Rufus to put the iso program onto the usb to make it bootable.  I tested it out using MobaLiveCD program on my current pc and it does load up the windows installation.

Problem is, it will not start the windows installation setting.  it will just say this when i turn it on:

Boot Device Not Found

Please install an operating system on your hard disk.

Hard Disk (3F0)

F2  System Diagnostics

For more information please visit, www.hp.com...

This laptop is a 360 hp Spectre, it has 4GB ram, and i installed a 500GB HDD as the old one failed.   I ran the long 2 - 3 hour test of my hard drive test to make sure it is working and everything passed.

What do i need to do?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:09 AM

Posted 14 July 2017 - 11:24 PM

You need to either use the boot manager function key for your system to select which drive to boot from, or change the boot order in the BIOS to select the USB drive first.

#3 ksinley

ksinley
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2017 - 05:44 AM

Ok i found my problem.  one thing i forgot to mention is that laptop used to have windows 8 on it. since I like windows 7 i decided to install that instead.  Apparently there is a boot option called "Legacy boot" which allows for installation for older windows with the last being windows 7.  The "secure boot" option is windows 8 and 10.  Thanks for your help though =)

But I am encountering another problem...

After the Windows loading screen (with the long white load bar filled), it will show the "Starting Windows" logo, and it will freeze up, and i will see no activity with the usb (aka blinking light)    I tried formatting the usb in NTFS format and reinstalling Windows into the USB via Rufus program, but still freezes. 

#4 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,476 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2017 - 10:10 AM

Don't have much experience here but will lend you a few Links.

https://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/13326-downgrade-windows-8-windows-7-a.html

https://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/264491-cant-install-windows-7-preinstalled-windows-8-laptop.html#post2178898

Edited by pcpunk, 15 July 2017 - 10:15 AM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#5 ksinley

ksinley
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2017 - 01:12 PM

Thanks for responding pcpunk, your post links partly helped me. =) 

Ok this is how i fixed my problem, on the USB setting in BIOS, there is an option, since the usb is by default 3.0, well i read somewhere that it has to be via 2.0 on the usb for it to install for some reason, anyways, I changed it from "Enabled" to "Auto" to default the USB setting to 2.0

So far as of now, it is installing.  If i come across any more problems, i will respond to this post.  Thanks everyone for responding. =)

Edited by ksinley, 15 July 2017 - 01:15 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users