Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Asus monitor displaying scan lines on left side of screen.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 SuperSapien64

SuperSapien64

• Members
  • 591 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:10 PM

Posted 14 July 2017 - 06:13 PM

Just recently my Asus monitor has been showing scan lines on left side of the screen but it's only visible when I the screen is black lets say when I boot up my desktop (from the bios screen) I can see it or when I'm viewing a image or video that's not 16x9 I can see the scan lines on the black borders also, although after a several minutes it stops showing these scan lines. It's strange. Is something wrong with my monitor?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 536 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2017 - 08:47 AM

First thing I would check or change with a known good one is the cable between the monitor and desktop.

Second thing I would check or change with a known good one is the monitor.

If no good results come from that than it may be leaky capacitors on the graphics card or on the monitor.

Another possibility is a failing power supply.

Linux Mint 18 Sarah Xfce (32bit) / Hp-pavilion-m7267c / Intel Pentium D Processor 820 Smithfield (2M Cache, 2.80 GHz, 800 MHz FSB, LGA 775 Socket) / Mobo: ASUS P5LP-LE, (Lithium-UL8E) / DDR2 Memory 4.0 GB, 800 MHz FSB / Graphics Card: ATI Radeon X600/X600 SE, (AMD/ATI) RV370 PCIE.

Windows 7 Professional (32bit) / Dell Optiplex 380 / Intel Core 2 Duo E7500 Wolfdale (3M Cache, 2.93 GHz, 1066 MHz FSB, LGA 775 Socket) / DDR3 Memory 3.0 GB, 1066 MHz FSB / Nvidia GeForce 8400GS (PCI Express) Graphics Card.

#3 Platypus

Platypus

• 10,171 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:10 AM

Posted 17 July 2017 - 08:59 AM

If a process of elimination confirms that the problem is in the monitor itself, and the effect only appears on one side of the screen, it can be a poor contact in a connector on the LVDS cable that runs from the input PCB to the LCD panel inside the monitor. That can generally be repaired OK, but involves opening up the unit. On the other hand, there could be a problem within the LCD panel itself, which wouldn't be a feasible repair. As Toolman has said, odd symptoms can also be caused by bad electrolytic capacitors, although it would be unusual for such to affect only one side of the screen.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#4 SuperSapien64

SuperSapien64
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 591 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2017 - 08:43 PM

Well my monitor just died no picture no power nothing its just dead. It died on me right in the middle of a YouTube video (which is better then it dying during an update) I had force shut down my desktop. I don't trust Asus monitors anymore the first Asus monitor (back in 2013/2014) I had was DOA and now this one just died on me. :(

#5 Platypus

Platypus

• 10,171 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:10 AM

Posted 31 August 2017 - 11:50 PM

That's disappointing, although it may give strength to the possibility it has bad capacitors, which is not a difficult fix, as long as it's only the capacitors at fault. I've never used Asus monitors, so I can't comment on their general reliability.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#6 SuperSapien64

SuperSapien64
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 591 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2017 - 06:28 PM

That's disappointing, although it may give strength to the possibility it has bad capacitors, which is not a difficult fix, as long as it's only the capacitors at fault. I've never used Asus monitors, so I can't comment on their general reliability.

I bought a new monitor an Acer and it seems to be working fine for now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users