Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable to Update Internet Explorer - Windows Update Failure

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 CorruptCoW

CorruptCoW

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:34 AM

Posted 14 July 2017 - 05:20 PM

I am trying to update my existing Internet Explorer 8 to IE 11, but all my attempts through Windows Update fail.

Windows Update identifies the update as being required, and it will download, but it gets so far into the installation then fails. Code 9C59 Windows Update encountered an unknown error.

Is anyone able to help me update Internet Explorer?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:34 AM

Posted 14 July 2017 - 05:38 PM

Download it here...

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/internet-explorer-11-for-windows-7-details.aspx

After installing it, see this tutorial for resetting Windows Update...

https://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/91738-windows-update-reset.html

After resetting, check for Windows updates.

#3 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,345 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2017 - 09:35 PM

Internet Explorer 8

Wow, I doubt you will be able to install it, because it seems as though your Updates are not coming through as required.  If they were you would already have IE-11 a long time ago.

Is this a NEW INSTALL, and who installed it?

If possible post a Speccy Chart

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/323892/publish-a-snapshot-using-speccy/#entry1797792

1. Will you open Powershell as Administrator by Right Clicking on it and choose "Run as Administrator", then type or copy paste " get-hotfix " without the  quotes. 

2. Hit Enter and Wait for updates to load.

3. Highlight all with cursor

4. Ctrl+C

5. Then Paste into your next Post with Ctrl+V, preferably into a "Code Box".  Code Box is at the top of your Post and looks like this "< >" Next to the Quote Box.

Edited by pcpunk, 14 July 2017 - 09:38 PM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#4 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2017 - 11:34 PM

Updates not coming through doesn't have anything to do with installing IE11 manually.

No need to run Powershell to find out if a WIndows Update was installed.

Simply go to Control Panel > Programs and Features and click on the View installed updates link on the upper left side of the screen.

Edited by jwoods301, 14 July 2017 - 11:35 PM.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,563 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:34 AM

Posted 15 July 2017 - 06:40 AM

Downloads from the Downloads section of the Microsoft site...may not be possible using any version of IE that is not IE 11 (since such are unsupported)..  But using a different browser should allow the download, I believe.

Louis

#6 CorruptCoW

CorruptCoW
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2017 - 06:52 AM

Thank you all for your wonderful support. This was a reinstallation of Windows to repair it. It was simply a matter of patience. After a couple of days of Windows updating, IE 11 finally successfully installed. It would appear that there were some prerequisite updates needed first which took a while to acquire.

#7 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,345 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2017 - 10:19 AM

Updates not coming through doesn't have anything to do with installing IE11 manually.

Simply go to Control Panel > Programs and Features and click on the View installed updates link on the upper left side of the screen.

If this is true then why did running more Updates fix it?  You can't just Install IE-11 without it's dependencies?

"View installed updates"  This will not always show all updates that I wanted to look at, and it is easier to post the Text Doc in some cases, and easier to use those docs to research, rather than a Screenshot.  This would have told me right away if IE-11 could be installed or not?

Edited by pcpunk, 15 July 2017 - 10:21 AM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#8 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2017 - 01:10 AM

If this is true then why did running more Updates fix it?  You can't just Install IE-11 without it's dependencies?

"View installed updates"  This will not always show all updates that I wanted to look at, and it is easier to post the Text Doc in some cases, and easier to use those docs to research, rather than a Screenshot.  This would have told me right away if IE-11 could be installed or not?

It is true...

Here's an example.

Today, I clean installed OEM Windows 7 on a machine using recovery disks...with no Internet connection.

After the install, I ran the pre-downloaded IE 11 installer...with no Windows Updates having been run, and no Internet connection.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0bj56jsiy752k4v/IE%2011%20Install%201.JPG?dl=0

After IE was successfully installed, I connected to the Internet, and ran Windows Update for the first time (with the Check for updates but let me choose... option selected) -

https://www.dropbox.com/s/a6cfsst5jgolmi3/IE%2011%20Install%202.JPG?dl=0

I guess the only pre-req was Windows 7 with SP1...note that SP3 was not installed either.

You can also use the Search box in the upper right hand corner of the View Installed Updates screen to look for a specific update.

But that wouldn't be necessary, because it doesn't need any updates installed to manually install IE 11.

#9 opera

opera

• Members
  • 1,032 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:34 PM

Posted 16 July 2017 - 01:32 AM

Just adding my thoughts here.

After installing a system with Win 7 SP1, I always go here

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/download/internet-explorer-11-for-windows-7-details.aspx

install IE11, reboot then run Win updates.  Without installing IE11 first it can take a very, very long time to do Win Updates.

#10 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2017 - 02:00 AM

See the post above yours...that's what I did.

#11 opera

opera

• Members
  • 1,032 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2017 - 02:03 AM

Yes I know you did... I was agreeing with you :)

Edited by hamluis, 16 July 2017 - 11:53 AM.

#12 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2017 - 02:07 AM

Usually, just "agree" works.

Edited by hamluis, 16 July 2017 - 11:53 AM.

#13 opera

opera

• Members
  • 1,032 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2017 - 03:30 AM

True.

However, I am allowed to post the steps I take   :)

Edited by hamluis, 16 July 2017 - 11:54 AM.

#14 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,563 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:34 AM

Posted 16 July 2017 - 11:57 AM

Back on topic, please.  Unless a posting protocol is defined in the forum rules, each member has a right to her/his own posting style...which does not have to conform to the ideas that each other forum member carries in her/his head.  The key thing is to provide feedback relevant to the OP's situation, not individual preferences for this and that.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users