Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hardware issue after spilling liquid

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 sweisda

sweisda

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:34 PM

Posted 14 July 2017 - 08:18 AM

Hello people!

So, clumsy me spilled (not even a teaspoon) of sugar water on the bottom of my laptop which i didn't notice until i booted up. Results were, starting up normally, but within the minute i heard a continuing high-pitched noise and got a black screen, couldn't shut down bc power button refused service so obviously i removed the charger and battery, opened up the laptop and checked it inside out for spillmarks, followed by a thorough cleaning. After this i left the laptop to dry for the night.

The next morning i put it all back together, turned it back on again, and it worked like a charm. Only defect i noticed were the usb ports as well as the mic and headphone jacks not responding. 1 usb port still bravely fought on and refused service at a later time (this port is on the oposite side of the laptop from the other ports and jacks).

I allready tried every test for a possible software malfunction so i can rule that out. And i tried every port with multiple usb devices to rule out defective external hardware

My bet would be either the motherboard got damaged to some extend, or i missed something putting the whole thing back together (unlikely bc one of the ports still showed life)

I just disassembled and assembled following a guide and don't know the function of any cable or connection so i wouldn't know where to start looking. As far as i noticed nothing got visually fried.

My question to you good people is as following:

Is there anything obvious i might've overlooked or anything i could try before i leave it to professionals and watch my wallet bleed dry.

Windows 8.1
Processor Intel® Core™ i5-3230M CPU @ 2.60GHz, 2594 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
MS-16GA
Intel HD Graphics 4000
4GB RAM

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:34 PM

Posted 14 July 2017 - 08:49 AM

I'm not sure where you are located, my suggestion may or may not work for you.

After my onboard mic and headphone no longer worked, I purchased a portable non-AC-powered device with mic and headphone jacks on one end and a usb male on the other end.  Altex Electronics, Frys, Best Buy, and many other places very likely carry this device.  I think I paid about US$15 for it.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#3 rqt

rqt

• Members
  • 389 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:34 PM

Posted 14 July 2017 - 12:46 PM

A "professional repair" to a laptop with a damaged motherboard will probably cost more than a replacement laptop (& that's assuming that parts are still available - as it appears that this machine could now be about 4 years old) 

Edited by rqt, 14 July 2017 - 12:48 PM.

#4 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:34 PM

Posted 14 July 2017 - 07:59 PM

rqt, that's what I thought too concerning motherboard work, so I opted for that device I mentioned.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#5 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,829 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:34 PM

Posted 15 July 2017 - 05:55 PM

It sounds like you missed a spot when cleaning around the USB and mic/headphone jack area.  Cleaning can be quite involved with time.  I wash first with a short bristle brush and a degreaser detergent.  Then flush with fresh clean water and finally spray down with an electronic non-residue cleaner.  Allow to air dry and if all areas got cleaned, that usually revives most system boards.  There are dozens of other methods but mine works 85% of the time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users