Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrading main desktop

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 AntonRahbek

AntonRahbek

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:22 PM

Posted 14 July 2017 - 04:17 AM

Hi guys,

I'm looking to upgrade my desktop but I'm not sure what I need the most. I play a lot of games and I've recently begun playing some more graphically demanding games.

You can see my current specs on my profile or here:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/xGdVzM (The website doesn't have my PSU so I chose a random one at same price same voltage)

I'm thinking maybe upgrading to GTX 1060, but I don't know which one to get. (MSI, ASUS, etc.) Graphics card is only thing I need to upgrade to be VR-ready I think.

3G or 6G? (6G sounds overkill, but then I don't have to upgrade again soon?)

I'm willing to burn ~450USD (~3000DKK), here's a link so you can see danish prices:

https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=da&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.pricerunner.dk%2Fcl%2F37%2FGrafikkort%3Fattr_50615370%3D59684651

Thanks!

-Anton

Edited by AntonRahbek, 14 July 2017 - 04:21 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,401 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:22 PM

Posted 14 July 2017 - 05:40 AM

GTX 1060 is nowhere near good enough for VR. Also because graphic card prices are high just now, I suggest you wait until crypto mining boom goes out and prices get lower.

#3 AntonRahbek

AntonRahbek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2017 - 06:02 AM

I suggest you wait until crypto mining boom goes out

What is "crypto mining boom"? Also what do you mean by "goes out", when will this happen?

#4 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,401 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:22 PM

Posted 14 July 2017 - 06:06 AM

Google crypto mining boom?

Those booms usually go out after crypto currency value drops, mining difficulty raises enough or better solutions than video cards come available. Or all three. I expect video card prices and availability return to normal after two months.

#5 AntonRahbek

AntonRahbek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2017 - 06:12 AM

I did, but I was still clueless about what it had to do with graphics cards after 10 minutes of surfing, so I figured I'd ask you. Thanks!

#6 malwaredpc

malwaredpc

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:22 PM

Posted 14 July 2017 - 07:35 AM

I did, but I was still clueless about what it had to do with graphics cards after 10 minutes of surfing, so I figured I'd ask you. Thanks!

GPUs are use in crypto currency to generate new blocks. Bitcoin, litecoin etc new money is generated through sophisticated calculus solving problems until it got as revenew a new chain of money....

I guess that's the understandable version of it.

Edited by malwaredpc, 14 July 2017 - 07:36 AM.

#7 AntonRahbek

AntonRahbek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2017 - 05:31 PM

GPUs are use in crypto currency to generate new blocks. Bitcoin, litecoin etc new money is generated through sophisticated calculus solving problems until it got as revenew a new chain of money....

I guess that's the understandable version of it.

Yeah, I knew that. But I had no idea that prices had gone up because of mining.. Did miners buy so much that they had to raise the price?

#8 AntonRahbek

AntonRahbek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2017 - 06:04 PM

Well, we went kinda off topic. If I should upgrade my computer, what should I upgrade? Give me some advice!

Also if I was right about it being a lacking GPU, then tell me what I should get.

Thanks!

Also (This should maybe be in another topic, but whatever) I discovered a few weeks ago that my intake fan wasn't connected.. I got my PC built for me by a company, any reason why they'd do this? I'm thinking it was an accident

#9 malwaredpc

malwaredpc

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2017 - 01:15 PM

Well, even Lauren Southern is talking about crypto currency, and she is on the political side of news.

I would try to get a GTX 1080, too much money. Maybe you  should rethink and get a motorbike and ask a girl out?

Edited by malwaredpc, 15 July 2017 - 01:15 PM.

#10 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,363 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:22 AM

Posted 15 July 2017 - 01:44 PM

GTX 1060 is nowhere near good enough for VR. Also because graphic card prices are high just now, I suggest you wait until crypto mining boom goes out and prices get lower.

Wrong. I own a 1060 and it handles VR brilliantly. It passes minimum spec for all headsets and the steamVR tests.

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#11 malwaredpc

malwaredpc

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2017 - 02:32 PM

GTX 1060 has VR ready, that's why. I'm not sure if it will be enough in the long term as he says he plays demanding games (taking the future variable).

How does it work for you?

Edited by malwaredpc, 15 July 2017 - 02:32 PM.

#12 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,363 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:22 AM

Posted 15 July 2017 - 02:38 PM

The 1060 will handle VR and any game at high settings 1080p. You currently have a 960, so it wouldn't be a huge upgrade. 

GTX 1060 3GB vs 6GB there is a slight difference. The 3GB model has less cuda cores and obviously 3GB less VRAM.

http://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-1060-6GB-vs-Nvidia-GTX-1060-3GB/3639vs3646

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#13 AntonRahbek

AntonRahbek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2017 - 05:50 PM

I would try to get a GTX 1080, too much money. Maybe you  should rethink and get a motorbike and ask a girl out?

I'd still go for the 1080 xD

Edited by AntonRahbek, 15 July 2017 - 06:04 PM.

#14 AntonRahbek

AntonRahbek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2017 - 05:51 PM

Wrong. I own a 1060 and it handles VR brilliantly. It passes minimum spec for all headsets and the steamVR tests.

Yeah, that's what I thought. The SteamVR test shows that my GPU is just below the minimum specs for VR.

#15 AntonRahbek

AntonRahbek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2017 - 06:02 PM

I'm not sure if it will be enough in the long term as he says he plays demanding games (taking the future variable).

You currently have a 960, so it wouldn't be a huge upgrade. 

Well I don't really play the most demanding games, but I do want to be prepared. Also, I don't currently own a VR-headset, but I'm thinking about getting an Oculus Rift.

I'm doing this upgrade so I don't have to upgrade again for a LONG time, so 960-1060 isn't a big enough upgrade? What would be then? Should I save up for a 1080 instead?

AGAIN I'm not only talking about upgrading GPU, please tell me if you think my CPU, etc. could lack on some aspects (other than gaming), or is my current graphics card the hardware that most needs upgrade?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users