Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Multiple iExplorer.exe and Svchost.exe 3: The Search for SMART

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 BuckJogSkiff

BuckJogSkiff

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:43 AM

Posted 14 July 2017 - 03:53 AM

I've consulted help about large CPU memory spikes and CPU crashes that leave Internet Explorer freeze hanging and unable to close after the browser tab memory peaks over a certain amount. Its a little random when this happens and has made using Internet Explorer difficult, and the CPU hasn't had this problem before.

I've been through two two topics of good help already:

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/646160/found-trojanagent-gen-dropper/

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/650004/multiple-iexplorerexe-and-schvostesexe-2-the-electric-boogaloo/page-2

So far, it doesn't look like any Malware is involved, been through several scans. What lead this to the topic was the last expert advising that the CPU Speccy  had suspicious SMART values. Is there indeed something wrong with the CPU  afterall, or is it something else, or nothing at all?

Thanks for any help, all the previous help is very much appreciated also.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,616 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:43 AM

Posted 20 July 2017 - 10:23 AM

I've scanned through your previous posts and there are some red flags. First, Firefox will not load or open. There is no reason that should happen if it was correctly installed. Would you please try installing any other browser just to see what happens (Opera, Chrome, Safari, etc)?

Second, if I understand correctly this seems to happen somewhat randomly. Needless to say that makes it harder to diagnose. Can you please boot to safe mode with Networking and see if the same thing happens there? If it does, we may be looking at a hardware issue.

And just so I know what you've done so far, have you run diagnostics on the ram and HD?

#3 BuckJogSkiff

BuckJogSkiff
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2017 - 04:22 AM

First up, I still have the previous topic open, I am not sure if that is ideal or not. I'll try another browser, see I that works. I've noticed Firefox does open now, but is more prone to crashing and large memory spikes. I'll try out Safe mode as well.

I've run a couple of dskchks that don't turn up anything but some reparse files and if I can recall, a few orphaned files. Yet no bad memory or bad sectors. Otherwise, no other diagnostics checks.

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,616 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2017 - 04:51 AM

Let's check the ram: download memtest (http://memtest.org/). Burn it to a cd using a dedicated .iso burning utility (http://www.petri.co.il/how_to_write_iso_files_to_cd.htm), make sure the cd drive is at the top of the boot order in bios, then boot to the newly created cd and run the utility.

#5 BuckJogSkiff

BuckJogSkiff
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2017 - 05:22 AM

Tried out Safe Mode with Networking. IE was still bad with the memory usage, though the Physical Memory was much lower and ran smoother, but then it was in safe mode. Still spiking high, but no freeze hangs or crashes even when it got too high.

Firefox went crazy in Safe Mode with Networking. Had trouble loading, very choppy, kicked memory up way too high way too fast. Thankfully, no freeze hangs or crashes. I've yet to try out another browser.

I'll see about the next step also.

#6 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,616 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2017 - 05:41 AM

Sounds like a hardware (or malware) issue. Please go ahead and check the ram.

Edited by Allan, 23 July 2017 - 05:51 AM.

#7 BuckJogSkiff

BuckJogSkiff
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2017 - 03:27 AM

Noted, I'll try it out.

#8 BuckJogSkiff

BuckJogSkiff
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2017 - 02:54 AM

Still working on it, once I have cds that aren't CD-Rs and are CD-RWs, and the CPU isn't giving any trouble.

#9 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,679 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2017 - 11:52 AM

CD-R versus CD-RW should make no difference.   The first is writable only once, then readable "forever" while the latter can be rewritten multiple times and then be readable "forever."  [No optical media that's burnable actually remains readable "forever" in practice, but it should be a very long time.]

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#10 BuckJogSkiff

BuckJogSkiff
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2017 - 03:30 AM

Good to know, makes the search easier.

#11 BuckJogSkiff

BuckJogSkiff
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2017 - 03:17 AM

Haven't forgotten, only things have been piling up and the CD-Rs I thought I had are already finalized or turned out to be DVD-Rs instead. I may have to go out of my way to purchase some.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users