Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Large Stuttering Sound and Frame Freeze

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Vuragado

Vuragado

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:19 PM

Posted 22 June 2017 - 11:15 AM

I should point out that this issue has stayed CONSISTENT from build to build; the only 3 parts that havent been changed are PSU, HDD, and SSD. The parts that have been changed are the motherboard, cpu, ram, and gpu.

I've been plagued with a large stuttering sound and frame freeze for months now. I have a strong feeling it's been since i've gotten my SSD OR PSU which was roughly around November.

I remember clearly having this issue during that time and I remember frantically replacing GPU cables and everything to figure out the issue, in fact, I even bought 2 different displayport cables during that time.

I have a [pastebin](https://pastebin.com/edit/VnJxFBTz) and Ill also state them here. I'm lead to believe that it might be my PSU, SSD, HDD, Case, or Monitor as those are the two parts that have stayed the same. It could also be my Mouse/Keyboard as well.

I'm also lead to believe that it might be my SSD because ive wiped this about....3 times now? And about after a month of it working just fine, it just starts having the same issue again. I've even not installed certain programs just in case it's a software issue, but everything that i've uninstalled and reinstalled has done nothing to abide it.

My specs:

Specs | Specific Parts
---|---
OS | Windows 10 Pro N
GPU | EVGA 1080 FTW 3.0
CPU | I7-6700K
HDD | 1TB WD Black
SSD | Samsung 850 EVO
PSU | EVGA 850W G2+
RAM | Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz
Motherboard | Asus Z170-A
CPU Cooler | H100i v2
Keyboard | Razer Blackwidow 2016 Ultimate
Mouse | Logitech G502

All the steps listed below are in chronological order.

Steps Taken to Fix Computer | Y/N
---|---
Completely Swapped out Motherboard, CPU, Ram.| Y
Changed Wall Sockets| Y
Not Used Surge Protector | Y
Removed Old HDD | Y
Moved Analog Headphones to Different Ports | Y
Did SFC/Scannow | Y
Did Comprehensive Virus Scan | Y
Replaced Headphones for New Ones | Y
Tested PSU with a multimeter | Y
Re-Seated GPU | Y
Replaced GPU in its entirety | Y
Completely Wiped OS and Old Drivers | Y
Re-Seated RAM | Y
Replaced HDMI and Displayport | Y
Wiped HDD and PUT OS on it instead/Completely taking SSD out | Y
Ran Memtest for a long/large amount of time | Y

Steps I haven't done to fix the issue are listed below.

Steps I haven't done yet. |
---|---
Replaced SSD |
Replaced PSU |
Replaced Other HDD |
Replaced Case |

I'm testing the PC without SSD now, and using a standard HDD to run the OS.

Edited by Vuragado, 22 June 2017 - 11:23 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:19 PM

Posted 22 June 2017 - 05:31 PM

Please wait until the system stutters and freezes again, then immediately recover it and immediately generate these 2 sets of reports:

Let's try looking at these 2 sets of reports:

Report Set #1)  Please run this report collecting tool (even though you may not be experiencing BSOD's) so that we can provide a complete analysis: (from the pinned topic at the top of the forum)   http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/576314/blue-screen-of-death-bsod-posting-instructions-windows-10-81-8-7-vista/
FYI - I don't often use the Perfmon report, so if it doesn't work please just let me know.

If you have problems with it running it, there's an alternate tool here (direct download link):  https://github.com/blueelvis/BSOD-Inspector/releases/download/1.0.5/BSODInspector-1.0.5.exe

NOTE:
Please zip up the (.ZIP) files - do not use .RAR or other compression utilities. 
.ZIP is the type file that can be uploaded to the forums.

Report Set #2)  Please do the following:
- open Event Viewer (run eventvwr.msc from the "Run" dialog)
- expand the Custom Views category (left click on the > next to the words "Custom Views")
- right click on the "Administrative Events" heading
- select "Save all Events in Custom View as..."
- save the file as Admin.evtx
- zip up the file (right click on it, select "Send to", select "Compressed (zipped) folder")
- upload it with your next post (if it's too big, then upload it to a free file-hosting service and post a link here).

FYI - If we're looking for Event ID 41 errors (unexplained shutdowns), there's more info on that here:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2028504

While waiting for a reply, please monitor your temps with this free utility: 

SpeedFan v. 4.5.1 and later (free from here:  http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php ) can log temperatures in a CSV file:
You may not need to log temps - if uncertain, please ask.

To make it work (log the temps to a file) you have to do BOTH of the below:

1. Enable logging in general: Configure...Log...check "Enabled" then click on OK to save.

2. Enable logging for specific checks: Configure...Temperatures..left click on each sensor, then click on "Logged" at the bottom of the Window (for our purposes we want them all) then once you've selected "Logged" for all sensors, then click on OK to save.

The log will be located at C:\Program Files (x86)\SpeedFan

Naming: log files are named SFLogYYYYMMDD.csv, where YYYY is the year (four digits), MM is the month (2 digits, zero padded) and DD is the day (2 digits, zero padded). If a file already exists by that name, the file that already exists is renamed according to the following naming scheme: SFLogYYYYMMDD-CCCC.csv, where CCCC is a increasing number. The new file is then created with the standard file name scheme.

Notes: whenever you change the options related with logging, SpeedFan starts a new log file.

NOTE:You may want to turn logging off when we're done - as I don't know it's impact on performance or on the system.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Vuragado

Vuragado
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2017 - 03:22 AM

Reposting this thread;

Edited by Vuragado, 14 July 2017 - 03:31 AM.

#4 Vuragado

Vuragado
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2017 - 03:33 AM

Operating System -

Windows 10

Computer Specs (PSU, GPU, CPU, RAM, Motherboard) -

Specs | Specific Parts

---|---

OS | Windows 10 Pro N

GPU | EVGA 1080 FTW 3.0

CPU | I7-6700K

HDD | 1TB WD Black

SSD | Samsung 850 EVO

PSU | EVGA 850W G2

RAM | Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz 16GB

Motherboard | Asus Z170-A

CPU Cooler | H100i v2

Keyboard | Razer Blackwidow 2016 Ultimate

Mouse | Logitech G502

Description of problem

I've been plagued with a large stuttering sound and frame freeze for months now. This started around February. This has lasted from build to build, as in, I've replaced my motherboard, cpu, ram, AND gpu to try to resolve this issue (plus, I wanted to upgrade.) Those are the four parts I know more than likely aren't affected.

I remember clearly having this issue during that time and I remember frantically replacing GPU cables and everything to figure out the issue, in fact, I even bought 2 different displayport cables during that time.

I have a pastebin just in case some of you prefer that format.

When this issue began

Roughly 5 months ago? I'm not sure, I know I really started to NOTICE said issue about 5 months back in February

Recurring issue

Yes

Date of purchase

All completely different build parts, but new motherboard, ram, cpu, and gpu were bought within the last 3 months. The issue occurred before these.

Under Warranty

Yes

Cause/Steps to recreate the issue

Playing videogames, using discord and twitch at the same time, using twitch playing videogames with no issues, it just randomly occurs. I'm really really out of luck as I kinda just wanna enjoy my pc and not have to troubleshoot it.

I've tried running p95 to replicate the issue with no luck, but it only seems to happen at random, doing ANYTHING CPU or GPU related.

Ive tried ramping it up for max temperatures with no luck, temps are fine. However, Im willing to listen to ANYTHING at this point.

What I've tried so far to resolve the issue

Steps Taken to Fix Computer | Y/N
---|---
Completely Swapped out Motherboard, CPU, Ram.| Y

Changed Wall Sockets| Y

Not Used Surge Protector | Y

Removed Old HDD | Y

Moved Analog Headphones to Different Ports | Y

Did SFC/Scannow | Y

Did Comprehensive Virus Scan | Y

Replaced Headphones for New Ones | Y

Tested PSU with a multimeter | Y

Re-Seated GPU | Y

Replaced GPU in its entirety | Y

Completely Wiped OS and Old Drivers | Y

Tried Old Drivers and New Drivers | Y

Re-Seated RAM | Y

Replaced HDMI and Displayport | Y

Wiped HDD and PUT OS on it instead/Completely taking SSD out | Y

Ran Memtest for a long/large amount of time | Y

Removed SSD to completely test. | Y

Done 4 memtest passes | Y

Steps I haven't done to fix the issue are listed below.

Steps I haven't done yet. |
---|---
Replaced PSU |
Replaced Other HDD |
Replaced Case |

Attached Files

Edited by Vuragado, 14 July 2017 - 05:36 AM.

#5 Vuragado

Vuragado
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2017 - 03:38 AM

New thread for it located here; https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/651502/large-stuttering-sound-and-frame-freeze-continued/

If you could, please, delete this thread.

Sorry for the trouble i've caused.

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2017 - 06:50 AM

I suggest that you ask a moderator to merge these topics - as it's so much easier to figure out what's going on if the information is all in one place (rather than having to look around the forums to find information that's needed).

Good luck!

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2017 - 07:55 AM

First off, you've done a great job of trying to isolate the problem here.  Nice work!

Lot's of IOCAgent errors in the Admin logfile.  I'd suggest installing the latest Intel MEI update ( ME_11.6.0.1032 ) from the Asus site for your motherboard (this is under the Chipset heading)

Some of the posts that I saw while searching the web suggested uninstalling the old version first - I'd leave that decision up to you (as I don't know that much about that software).

Your UEFI/BIOS (version 3007) dates from 2016.  Please check at the manufacturer's website to see if there are any UEFI/BIOS updates available for your system.  This is just in case there has been a more recent update.
FYI - W8 and W10 communicate more with the UEFI/BIOS than previous versions of Windows, so it's important to ensure that the UEFI/BIOS is kept up to date (and that outdated UEFI/BIOS' may be the cause of some compatibility issues).

Although you appear to have a reasonable number of Windows Update hotfixes for this version of your OS, please double check for any new Windows Updates.  It only takes one update to cause a problem, so it's essential that you have all of them.  The actual number is not important.  Rather it's important that you checked manually, installed any available updates, and didn't experience any errors when checking or updating.

I have seen issues with Corsair Link in the past.  I'd suggest uninstalling it while we're troubleshooting.

As with any troubleshooting, leave the system at stock settings with NO overclock while we're troubleshooting.

I also saw a few errors with PrecisionX in the Admin log file - so I would suggest uninstalling it while we're troubleshooting also.

If that doesn't help then:

1)  run Driver Verifier according to these instructions:  http://www.carrona.org/verifier.html

2)  If Driver Verifier doesn't find anything, then backup your stuff and do a clean install of Windows (no 3rd party programs, Windows fully updated, no errors in Device Manager).  I suggest using the Microsoft download for this "diagnostic" installation:  https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

3)  If the system still has problems (may be hard to tell without the games/Steam, but please persist in testing), then we move onto hardware work.  If it doesn't have problems, then install Steam and one game and see if you can force the problem again.  I have no idea what Discord or Twitch are - but if using them, add them one-at-a-time and test thoroughly before installing another one.

#8 Vuragado

Vuragado
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2017 - 08:29 AM

First off, you've done a great job of trying to isolate the problem here.  Nice work!

Lot's of IOCAgent errors in the Admin logfile.  I'd suggest installing the latest Intel MEI update ( ME_11.6.0.1032 ) from the Asus site for your motherboard (this is under the Chipset heading)

Some of the posts that I saw while searching the web suggested uninstalling the old version first - I'd leave that decision up to you (as I don't know that much about that software).

Your UEFI/BIOS (version 3007) dates from 2016.  Please check at the manufacturer's website to see if there are any UEFI/BIOS updates available for your system.  This is just in case there has been a more recent update.
FYI - W8 and W10 communicate more with the UEFI/BIOS than previous versions of Windows, so it's important to ensure that the UEFI/BIOS is kept up to date (and that outdated UEFI/BIOS' may be the cause of some compatibility issues).

Although you appear to have a reasonable number of Windows Update hotfixes for this version of your OS, please double check for any new Windows Updates.  It only takes one update to cause a problem, so it's essential that you have all of them.  The actual number is not important.  Rather it's important that you checked manually, installed any available updates, and didn't experience any errors when checking or updating.

I have seen issues with Corsair Link in the past.  I'd suggest uninstalling it while we're troubleshooting.

As with any troubleshooting, leave the system at stock settings with NO overclock while we're troubleshooting.

I also saw a few errors with PrecisionX in the Admin log file - so I would suggest uninstalling it while we're troubleshooting also.

If that doesn't help then:

1)  run Driver Verifier according to these instructions:  http://www.carrona.org/verifier.html

2)  If Driver Verifier doesn't find anything, then backup your stuff and do a clean install of Windows (no 3rd party programs, Windows fully updated, no errors in Device Manager).  I suggest using the Microsoft download for this "diagnostic" installation:  https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

3)  If the system still has problems (may be hard to tell without the games/Steam, but please persist in testing), then we move onto hardware work.  If it doesn't have problems, then install Steam and one game and see if you can force the problem again.  I have no idea what Discord or Twitch are - but if using them, add them one-at-a-time and test thoroughly before installing another one.

Wow, usasma, thank you for the long and detailed reply!

I'd like to point out a few things as to why I'd rather not wipe my os again, but can if needed:

I've wiped my OS about 4-5 times now due to this issue, fresh installs, and making sure that it wasn't a specific program. However, the only thing I haven't uninstalled is Discord and i'm hesitant to even do that as I use it to voice comm.

The issue consistently happens about 3-4 weeks after rewiping the os. Even after carefully cherrypicking software, and everything, the issue still happens.

Does Windows 10 Pro "N" edition have anything to do with this?

I'm sure it wouldn't, but, can't be too sure.

==============================================================================================================

On the subject of Discord, it's a Free Voip; Twitch is its own launcher, but considering I don't use it, I'll more than likely uninstall it.

I'll also uninstall corsair link, but may install it in the future again if issues still arise without it. Need it to control the cpu cooler anyway.

==============================================================================================================

On the Subject of BIOS - I haven't touched it or updated it due to fear of bricking my system, but at this point, i'm willing to try virtually anything, so I'll more than likely do that either tonight or tomorrow to get that out of the way.

I didn't notice that I hadn't updated my Chipset, so thank you for pointing that out, I'll do that as well.

I also used to be more leaning to the hardware side of it being the issue; At least, with my SSD being fine I can start using that again - So that's a wonderful silver lining!

I've honestly been tempted to try other operating systems like regular Win10 Pro and Win8.1 Pro

Thank you so much, Usasma. 

I'll try some of these fixes tonight (Currently at work. I'm actually kinda really glad I can use my SSD again, at least.)

#9 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2017 - 08:56 AM

As long as you're using a legitimate version of Windows and have obtained it from legitimate sources, there should be no issues because it's the "N" version

All of my suggestions are effective until you fix the problem - after that it's up to you what to reinstall.

If you choose to reinstall (or not uninstall/remove) stuff before we're done, please let us know - as it may affect our troubleshooting.

After all the things that you've tried, I think that this is a software issue.

And, because the problem doesn't appear immediately, it may be because of a combination of factores
But, I could be wrong.  That's why I suggested the "clean" install and then the "install one thing, then test it for a long time" technique.

As for the "clean" install - you can use your SSD for the normal operation of your system.

And you can use the HDD for testing of a "clean" install.

Simply swap the drives out (both the power and data cables) between testing and normal operation.

The hardware route is much simpler, but it also relies on a "clean" install for it's effectiveness.

!)  run the free hardware diagnostics:  http://www.carrona.org/hwdiag.html

2) if they all pass, then try this procedure to rule out different hardware devices:  http://www.carrona.org/strpdown.html

Good luck!

#10 Vuragado

Vuragado
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2017 - 09:45 AM

Thank you! I will attempt the effective fixes tonight( or later this weekend), including BIOS, MEI, and Corsair Link/EVGA Precision X uninstallation; maybe i'll get lucky and one of these will work. (Currently at work, wish I could remote in at least for the MEI)

If that doesn't work, I'll follow the next steps such as driver verification and more.

My Last bet will be OS wiping, again, but as I stated before; It works for 3-4 weeks then the issue starts again.

Thank you for spending your time to help me, Sir/M'am

If I find anything else in my travels of troubleshooting/do other processes, I'll let you know.

==================================================================================================================

If anyone else has any other opinions on the matter, please, don't shy away. More heads that think together are better.

Edited by Vuragado, 14 July 2017 - 10:06 AM.

#11 Vuragado

Vuragado
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2017 - 11:48 AM

BIOS updated. MEI was already the most current.

Found something interesting, though.

My HDD after 3-4 weeks is already at 16% Fragmentation, from a completely NEW wipe.

Does that seem unusual to you?

============================================================ (More steps done below)

In terms of other steps, I also turned on legacy audio mode for Discord.

I also defragg'd said hdd

Edited by Vuragado, 15 July 2017 - 12:16 PM.

#12 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2017 - 12:19 PM

I don't pay attention to fragmentation - and haven't for many, many years.
Windows does better with fragmentation than it used to.

https://superuser.com/questions/1150641/should-i-defragment-my-ssd

#13 Vuragado

Vuragado
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2017 - 12:23 PM

Right, Usasma, I get that.

But this issue has occurred even with my ssd unplugged. 

I didn't use the ssd beforehand due to thinking it was the issue.

As in, for the past 3-4 weeks, my os has been on my hdd (completely wiped), and in those 3-4 weeks, it's fragmented 16% (which means it hasn't automatically been doing it every week like it's supposed to)

Either way, I'm going to keep testing it tonight and see if anything pops up.

If the problem isn't fixed, I'll look at the other methods (driver verification, etc)

Edited by Vuragado, 15 July 2017 - 12:24 PM.

#14 Vuragado

Vuragado
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2017 - 01:22 PM

If any of you prefer reddit, I have a thread over there as well.

The format is clean as well.

https://www.reddit.com/r/techsupport/comments/6n7pjd/i_recently_made_a_thread_about_3_weeks_ago/

#15 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2017 - 08:24 AM

Hmmm, just a thought (inspired by the Reddit topic) - but I wonder if it's time to start installing monitor specific drivers (instead of the default one's that Windows installs)

These drivers have been ignored by all but a few users as long as I've been working on computers.

I have to wonder if the advances in video card technology are making these drivers become necessary.

I understand your concern over the fragmentation - but I have no knowledge about this (and I don't generally work on fragmentation problems).
I'd suggest posting over in the Windows 10 forums if you would like assistance with that.

There's only 2 things that can be wrong with a computer:

- hardware

- software

Everything else (firmware, compatibility, low-level drivers, 3rd party programs/devices) is just a sub-category of one of the above.
We often pull out 3rd party software separately, as it has a much higher incidence of problems than does Windows software.

The best "software" test is to install Windows "clean".  That is with all Windows Updates, without any 3rd party software, and with no errors in Device Manager.

If the errors still occur, the second test is to use another form/method/source for recovery media - and try the "clean" install again.
The reasoning behind this is the Windows installations are remarkably stable, primarily because Microsoft invests so much effort into testing on many, many different platforms before releasing the final product (and the updates pickup up on any faults that may be found after release).

Other OS tests are things like bootable OS's and Linux (and other) OS's - but they treat hardware differently.  And, even if you test with them, are you likely to switch to them just because they give different results?

Also, if you install Windows without any 3rd party software - then the 3rd party software is effectively ruled out (if the errors continue)

And, since you have a "clean" install of Windows - that's effectively ruled out also

Which leaves hardware as the cause.

I have some basic hardware skills - but am by no means an expert.
For that I refer people to the Internal Hardware forums:    http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/7/internal-hardware/ 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users