Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

User Files and Desktop Icons Gone After Windows Update

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 LyteWing

LyteWing

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:48 AM

Posted 14 July 2017 - 12:59 AM

I have a friend that has a Windows 10 Home laptop she uses for light duty tasks such as email.  She leaves it on almost all the time and used it yesterday for a bit then went outside to perform chores.  She says that when she got back in and sat down to use it she was asked to login....she had left the computer on so clearly a reboot happened.  When the computer arrived at the desktop she said that it looked as if it did when it was new out of the box...none of her desktop icons and shortcuts were there.  Further, she says that none of her files were in the user folders (Documents, Pictures, etc..).

Now she has two profiles/accounts on this system, Owner and Marie.  The Owner is the one her account with the missing files is tied to.  I had her check in the c:\Users\Owner folder and all of her files are there even though they are not displaying when she logs into her account.  Now she says she did not get any error messages about a corrupt profile but that is what I am leaning towards and just wans some second opinions on this and some advice on the best way to correct it.

My theory is that after she left the computer to perform her chores it performed an automatic update and something went wrong during it and at least partially corrupted her profile.  There is now a third folder in her C:\Users folder called Temp....I can't confirm if this is related but she says that the only two accounts she ever created were the ones for Owner and Marie.

I have seen some information about registry edits that might correct a corrupt profile but before I drove the distance to her house to try them I thought it might be best to ask for some guidance here.

Thanks in advance,

Brent

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:48 PM

Posted 14 July 2017 - 01:01 AM

Try using System Restore to roll back to a point before the issue happened.

#3 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,445 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:48 AM

Posted 14 July 2017 - 11:38 AM

Personally I would just copy or move the files from the Owner profile to the Marie profile.  It sounds like Windows created a new profile for her.

#4 LyteWing

LyteWing
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2017 - 01:21 PM

Personally I would just copy or move the files from the Owner profile to the Marie profile.  It sounds like Windows created a new profile for her.

The Marie is another actual profile on the computer that she created for someone else.  The only folder showing that COULD hold her files is Test as she does not recognize that one so it is the most likely one to have been created.

But I get what you are saying. 

Copying the files would be the fastest fix were it not for the fact that her main issue is her Windows Mail email account.

#5 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,819 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:48 AM

Posted 14 July 2017 - 01:30 PM

The Marie is another actual profile on the computer that she created for someone else.  The only folder showing that COULD hold her files is Test as she does not recognize that one so it is the most likely one to have been created.

Copying the files would be the fastest fix were it not for the fact that her main issue is her Windows Mail email account.

What is wrong with her email account? I read your first post and I did not see any mention of email, unless I missed it.

Edited by Rocky Bennett, 14 July 2017 - 03:12 PM.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#6 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,819 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:48 AM

Posted 14 July 2017 - 03:12 PM

Do you mean email account or email app? If you do mean email account, it sounds like your friend was hacked.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#7 LyteWing

LyteWing
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2017 - 06:19 PM

OK...disaster averted.  All fixed.  For clarification, when I said email I meant the account tied to her profile...when the "recovery" TEMP profile was created the email app no longer was linked to her email...it was as if she just created a new account/profile.

I did some minor registry surgery and found that her profile must have been corrupted in some way and a new one was generated for her...thus the TEMP entry in the C:\USERS folder.  Fortunately there was a backup entry in the registry so I renamed it and edited the STATE key on it to a 0 and rebooted and all was well again.  I can only assume that something went wrong with her profile during the automatic update while she was out.  Thank goodness for that backup entry in the registry.

Thank you all for your help and advice.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users