Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bubbles on my computer.

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 radconjohn

radconjohn

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:11 AM

Posted 13 July 2017 - 09:34 PM

The title sounds crazy but that is what I have. When I open to the internet and sometimes my desktop, bubbles or what appear to look like bubbles appear on the screen. They start in a vertical pattern from small and then to large and then the screen size increases and also another bookmark will open up. It has become more prevalent now. I have never seen anything like it. I have taken a video of it that I can show if anyone would like to help me find out what this craziness is about. I would think it is a virus. I scan for viruses and malware but everything comes up with nothing. I have also seen the "critical chrome update" page come up. I have removed Chrome and reinstalled it. Not sure if the Chrome thing has anything to do with it. 

I am running windows 10 on an HP ENVY. If you need more info, please let me know.

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:11 PM

Posted 14 July 2017 - 12:06 AM

It is likely the Bubbles screen saver, which is one of several "stock" screensavers included with Windows.

In the Search box, type screen saver

Click on the result Change screen saver and change it to something else.

Edited by jwoods301, 14 July 2017 - 12:09 AM.

#3 JoshRoss

JoshRoss

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:11 PM

Posted 14 July 2017 - 05:42 AM

Hopefully, it's just a screensaver issue as Jwoods mentioned. If it still doesn't help, it could be some form of malware installed on your PC. (I assume it only happens when you open the browser?). Adware or a form of it is most likely in this scenario. Try the following steps:

1. Check your browser for any add-ons or extensions you do not recognize and remove them.
2. Check your installed programs and see if there isn't anything suspicious that was installed lately (If there is, simply remove them).
3. Install any popular anti-virus and do a quick scan (Majority of the providers do have free versions of their software). Or just use Windows Defender. It works really well in most cases.
4. Install and scan your PC with Malwarebytes and Hitman Pro to clean most adware.

After this, in most cases, the issues of malware should be solved. If it doesn't help, restart your Windows to "Safe mode with networking" and try repeating steps 3 and 4. As for my advice, the best way to remove adware is not to contract it. Be very careful with the links that you are browsing and the files you are downloading. That should prevent a majority of commonly spread issues. Good luck!

#4 radconjohn

radconjohn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2017 - 08:36 AM

Hopefully, it's just a screensaver issue as Jwoods mentioned. If it still doesn't help, it could be some form of malware installed on your PC. (I assume it only happens when you open the browser?). Adware or a form of it is most likely in this scenario. Try the following steps:

1. Check your browser for any add-ons or extensions you do not recognize and remove them.
2. Check your installed programs and see if there isn't anything suspicious that was installed lately (If there is, simply remove them).
3. Install any popular anti-virus and do a quick scan (Majority of the providers do have free versions of their software). Or just use Windows Defender. It works really well in most cases.
4. Install and scan your PC with Malwarebytes and Hitman Pro to clean most adware.

After this, in most cases, the issues of malware should be solved. If it doesn't help, restart your Windows to "Safe mode with networking" and try repeating steps 3 and 4. As for my advice, the best way to remove adware is not to contract it. Be very careful with the links that you are browsing and the files you are downloading. That should prevent a majority of commonly spread issues. Good luck!

It is not the "bubbles" screen saver. I am familiar on what that screen saver looks like and what is happening on my computer does not act like the bubbles screen saver. There is no bubbles screen saver on my computer and I have a different screen saver in use.

I also did the above actions previously, checked programs, nothing looked out of the ordinary to me. I have active and up to date virus protection and it is updated regularly. I have also installed and used Malwarebytes and Hitman Pro a few weeks ago and they always scan clean.

I also like to think I am very careful on what I download to my machine.

#5 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:11 PM

Posted 14 July 2017 - 09:09 AM

Use the built-in Windows Snipping Tool to grab screen shots.

Post the images on a site such as Dropbox, Imgur, etc. and paste the links to the images in the thread.

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,287 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2017 - 05:46 AM

How do I post a screen shot?
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#7 radconjohn

radconjohn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2017 - 02:35 PM

https://www.dropbox.com/preview/IMG_20170717_211302803%20(1).jpg?role=personal

https://www.dropbox.com/preview/IMG_20170717_211256877.jpg?role=personal

https://www.dropbox.com/preview/IMG_20170717_211302803.jpg?role=personal

https://www.dropbox.com/preview/IMG_20170717_211413290.jpg?role=personal

https://www.dropbox.com/preview/IMG_20170717_211414539.jpg?role=personal

Hopefully you can see the vertical bubbles in the middle of the screen. They make the screen size increase and also change the web page it is on.

Thank you for any help!

Edited by radconjohn, 22 July 2017 - 02:36 PM.

#8 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,534 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2017 - 10:06 AM

None of those images are accessible.  You're expected to log in to Dropbox.

Brian AKA Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

In a modern society where everyone thinks their opinion deserves to be heard nothing annoys me more than individuals who mistake their personal preferences for fact.

~ Commenter TheCruyffGurn on the The Guardian website, 8/13/2014

#9 JoshRoss

JoshRoss

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2017 - 01:04 AM

The pictures need to be posted with public access. Right now all of the files you linked have a personal tag, which we won't be able to access. You can use Imgur or any other image uploading site for this.

#10 radconjohn

radconjohn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2017 - 05:47 PM

Thank you for your help with the images. Hopefully these will be able to be seen.

LVsnYtQ.jpg

msab82c.jpg

m52xr25.jpg

LSVBOeY.jpg

cK1jmoh.jpg

#11 JoshRoss

JoshRoss

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2017 - 01:56 AM

Hmm, it could be that your Norton is malfunctioning big time. It happens occasionally from time to time. (Sorry for the late response, was busy). Have you tried a complete Norton reinstall, full scan and then a scan with anti-malware. Could help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users