Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Pre BIOS Boot cycle

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 MiniByte

MiniByte

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:34 AM

Posted 13 July 2017 - 05:40 PM

I had a laptop that had a number of keys which had become unresponsive.

After trying the usual; removing keys, cleaning and compressed air to no avail, I decided to use a bootable version of linux from a flash card to see if the keys worked there.

The keys were unresponsive in safe mode (windows 10).

So, simple..... I thought.

I changed the boot order to usb, switched from uefi bios to legacy. When reboot occurred, a boot cycle began. Upon rebooting, before post completes, the laptops shuts down, restarts and the cycle continues.

I have tried the follow:

1) Battery reset (pin hole)

2) Bios reset (manual) disconnecting the battery and bios. Waited a while, reconnected. Issue remains.

3) Booting without battery (to exclude battery failure)

4) The only thing I cannot test yet is for memory failure (no spare stick)

Thoughts?

The only bios change I made was to change boot to usb device only. And changed uefi to legacy.

Even if this did somehow affect the boot up and cause the boot cycle, a bios reset should have restored this surely? 

Edited by MiniByte, 13 July 2017 - 05:49 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:34 PM

Posted 13 July 2017 - 05:47 PM

Try turning off Fast Boot in the BIOS.

#3 MiniByte

MiniByte
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2017 - 05:58 PM

Sorry, should have reiterated, the boot loop does not let me access the bios. 

#4 MiniByte

MiniByte
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2017 - 06:03 PM

Ok scrub that.....

I left the bios battery unplugged all night. Just tried it this time, with the HDD disconnected and it bios is now accessible!

I can't imagine it is the HDD, so the bios battery probably required being unplugged longer than I thought for it to reset.

Edited by MiniByte, 13 July 2017 - 06:03 PM.

#5 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2017 - 06:04 PM

Have you tried booting from that media on a different computer, or trying a different bootable media on this computer?

#6 MiniByte

MiniByte
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2017 - 06:13 PM

OK, so the bios manual reset appears to have worked somehow. Managed to access the bios.

The boot loop error seemed to have been caused in part by me disabling the other boot devices and just leaving the usb drives to boot from, it did not seem to like this.

After the manual bios reset, I certainly have the ability to enter bios, before that the boot loop would not let me.

Interestingly even after the manual bios reset, it still had the other devices disabled. I re-enabled the hdd and it boots to windows as per normal.

Ok, if I want to persevere with linux boot to test the keyboard, what would anyone suggest as a light weight test platform and bootable media creator. I was trying knoppix. Maybe the bootable media creator I used did a poor job, any suggestions which to use? I'll try rufus media creator and try knoppix again.

Edited by MiniByte, 13 July 2017 - 06:25 PM.

#7 MiniByte

MiniByte
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2017 - 06:44 PM

hmm the trouble seems to surround selecting CSM/UEFI boot mode.

If I select CSM only I think it causes the boot loop (I have turned fast boot off).

I have selected UEFI and CSM but it still ignores the bootable usb, even though that has boot prioity.

Thoughts?

#8 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2017 - 06:44 PM

This is with new bootable media?

#9 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2017 - 06:49 PM

I made a Ubuntu Live CD on a USB flash drive following these instructions, and it's worked well for me.

https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/31804/the-10-cleverest-ways-to-use-linux-to-fix-your-windows-pc/

Edited by jwoods301, 13 July 2017 - 06:50 PM.

#10 MiniByte

MiniByte
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2017 - 06:51 PM

Yes - I reformatted and made a new bootable usb using rufus and chose knoppix distro.

Oddly, even if I set the usb to boot priority, it seems to boot straight to windows, when I go back to the bios, the boor priority has reset to it's previous iteration, booting from the hdd/windows boot manager.

hmm

The laptop is not that old, it has no cd drive. So I thought it would have no issues booting from a usb...but thinking about it, laptops can be a bit fussy sometimes....

Edited by MiniByte, 13 July 2017 - 06:52 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users