Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable to wirelessly connect with wifi on new system

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 fireintie

fireintie

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:07 PM

Posted 13 July 2017 - 05:35 PM

Hi!

So I've just installed Windows XP Proffesional on my old laptop. The thing is i cannot connect wirelessly to wifi. Through cable it works just fine. 

Im 99% sure I installed proper drivers.
'Wireless Zero Configuration' is set:   startup type: automatic   Service status: Started
In 'network connections' tab it only shows 'Local Area Connection' and '1394 Connection 2'
No antivirus, only basic windows firewall
I'm pretty sure it has nothing to do with the card itself as on linux it worked just fine (for anyone wondering why I switched to XP it's that this PC couldn't handle linux very well and linux does not support most of the games)
I already tried resetting network adapters and their drivers

Card: HP Compaq 2210b Wireless WiFi Card 441082-003

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:07 AM

Posted 13 July 2017 - 05:40 PM

Before going online with wireless or ethernet, make sure all Windows Updates are installed.

You need an antivirus program installed.

1394 is a Firewire card, not a wireless network adapter.

http://windowsitpro.com/windows-xp/what-1394-network-connection

You still need to set up a wireless network adapter.

Edited by jwoods301, 13 July 2017 - 05:43 PM.

#3 fireintie

fireintie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2017 - 05:55 PM

"You still need to set up a wireless network adapter."

And how do I do that? Tried googling, but nothing helpful. On device manager I have 1394 Net Adapter (know it's not important) and Intel® 82566MM Gigabit Network Connection

Both enabled

Edited by fireintie, 13 July 2017 - 05:56 PM.

#4 PerspectiveObjective

PerspectiveObjective

• Members
  • 415 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:07 PM

Posted 13 July 2017 - 05:57 PM

Common XP problem almost guaranteed not to connect to "the new" wireless, although straight line ethernet cable connect always works.  Sorry no help but also didn't make you look like an idiot without reading what you typed either YEY! Yes I've run into the same problem, even if you've a network adapter set up and it works well on various other wireless but when I go to a new building or where they have just put in wireless, well XP doesn't always work with wireless, I even tried several other cards/network adapters, same results. But thankfully a hardwire straight connect always works. Just my two bits.  Sorry no fix.

Edited by PerspectiveObjective, 13 July 2017 - 06:02 PM.

Oh those are really nice, where`d you get them done at? YOUR NAILS SILLY! Banter/Wit is a primary member requirement to colossal project solution.  Not to toot my horn......          (                (        (       (     :trumpet: but, who else will!? teeehehehehehheeee!~~~8 : P Additionally::: "Do, or do not. There is no try." - Yoga

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,630 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2017 - 05:58 PM

If your Wifi adapter is not listed in Device Manager installing any driver will not work. Did you install the chipset driver from the HP support site? Is XP is at SP3?

Edited by JohnC_21, 13 July 2017 - 05:59 PM.

#6 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2017 - 06:00 PM

https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c00045244

#7 fireintie

fireintie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2017 - 06:11 PM

Common XP problem almost guaranteed not to connect to "the new" wireless, although straight line ethernet cable connect always works.  Sorry no help but also didn't make you look like an idiot without reading what you typed either YEY! Yes I've run into the same problem, even if you've a network adapter set up and it works well on various other wireless but when I go to a new building or where they have just put in wireless, well XP doesn't always work with wireless, I even tried several other cards/network adapters, same results. But thankfully a hardwire straight connect always works. Just my two bits.  Sorry no fix.

So close thread?

If your Wifi adapter is not listed in Device Manager installing any driver will not work. Did you install the chipset driver from the HP support site? Is XP is at SP3?

Duh! I installed all nessesary drivers. No my XP is not at SP3, I just got an iso

No help there

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,630 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2017 - 06:18 PM

There are no yellow exclamation marks in Device Manager? If not then I don't know why linux detected your wifi chipset and windows does not unless it has something to do with SP3 not being installed. There were many Wifi improvements built into SP3. Install that and if you still do not see your Wifi card in Device Manager then get yourself a USB dongle. 

#9 fireintie

fireintie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2017 - 06:23 PM

There are no yellow exclamation marks in Device Manager? If not then I don't know why linux detected your wifi chipset and windows does not unless it has something to do with SP3 not being installed. There were many Wifi improvements built into SP3. Install that and if you still do not see your Wifi card in Device Manager then get yourself a USB dongle. 

D00d there are a lot of them! And waait... Terrible mistake... I DO have SP3

#10 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2017 - 06:24 PM

I don't think any updates have been installed.

There are quite a few after SP3.

Edited by jwoods301, 13 July 2017 - 06:25 PM.

#11 fireintie

fireintie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2017 - 06:26 PM

Wait guys... The problem was the most stupid thing ever! It's because I somehow instaled wrong drivers D: Sorry for your wasted time and thanks 4 help

#12 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,102 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:07 PM

Posted 20 July 2017 - 05:28 PM

"To err is human, to forgive, Divine."

Thanks for posting back with the solution.

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users