Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Torrents no longer work

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 muggo

muggo

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:31 AM

Posted 13 July 2017 - 05:02 PM

I use PirateBay & BitTorrent to download stuff but am having a problem.

If I clicked on a magnet link, BT used to pop up & do the download for me.  Now it doesn't seem to link to PB, so nothing happens when I press the magnet link, apart from spamware tabs which I have to use TaskMgr to delete.

I've tried reinstalling BT, but it says it's being prevented to run & to consult my sys admin.  I AM the administrator on my home PC (Win 10).

I've Googled around & have signed in as a super admin, but BT still won't open for me.  Nothing happens.

I've used Super Anti SpyWare & MalwareBytes to search for a virus, but nothing shows up.

It seems to have gone wrong since I had to replace a dying hard drive.  I used XCOPY & plenty of / switches to do this.  Apart from having to reinstall MS Office, all other apps run fine.  Perhaps the disk issue is a coincidence.

Can anyone help please?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:31 PM

Posted 13 July 2017 - 05:18 PM

One of your security programs is likely blocking it.

#3 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,085 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:31 PM

Posted 13 July 2017 - 06:23 PM

Use qbittorrent as an alternative.

jwoods is likely correct......if your security programs also block qbittorrent then you will need to investigate your security program settings.

Have you changed your security program recently ?

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,016 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2017 - 06:25 PM

Or your ISP, or - possibly - your browser. See -

https://torrentfreak.com/uk-piracy-warnings-coming-month-heres-works-170111/

https://recombu.com/digital/article/isp-traffic-management-bt-sky-virgin-media-ee-talktalk_M11045.html#

And plenty of other such reports. A problem is that, while there are many legitimate uses for P2P type software, the majority use is essentially for avoiding coyright. So the honest are getting caught with those not quite of that persuasion.

Chris Cosgrove

#5 PerspectiveObjective

PerspectiveObjective

• Members
  • 360 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:31 AM

Posted 13 July 2017 - 07:18 PM

Yeah ISP etc. etc. etc. a number of things that could be trying to block those things off.

Oh those are really nice, where`d you get them done at? YOUR NAILS SILLY! Banter/Wit is a primary member requirement to colossal project solution.  Not to toot my horn......          (                (        (       (     :trumpet: but, who else will!? teeehehehehehheeee!~~~8 : P Additionally::: "Do, or do not. There is no try." - Yoga

#6 muggo

muggo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2017 - 01:08 PM

I've not changed any security settings at all.

All of a sudden, my Admin powers have reduced.  I wondered if there was a reason?

#7 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:31 PM

Posted 14 July 2017 - 02:11 PM

I've not changed any security settings at all.

All of a sudden, my Admin powers have reduced.  I wondered if there was a reason?

You wouldn't necessarily have to personally change any security settings for security software to block something.

A new definition file or a Windows Update could change things for you.

Call your ISP and ask if they are blocking it.

What exactly do you mean by Admin powers being reduced?

Edited by jwoods301, 14 July 2017 - 02:21 PM.

#8 muggo

muggo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2017 - 02:13 AM

What exactly do you mean by Admin powers being reduced?

I meant I used to be able to run as Admin & things would work.  Now I'm advised to contact Sys Admin.

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:31 PM

Posted 17 July 2017 - 08:22 AM

Please post the exact error message.  The information you have provided could be related any of a number of issues.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users