Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Simple software to generate invoices?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Cynthia Moore

Cynthia Moore

• Members
  • 317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:39 AM

Posted 13 July 2017 - 04:16 PM

I am going to try my hand at a little consulting part time. I would love some recommendations for simple software to generate invoices that I can save as PDFs and send. I tried doing it in Word and Excel, but it's tedious and it doesn't look that good.

I don't need anything fancy. I only have one client at the moment and may not have any more. And it will be just me -- no other associates.

I did a little search and found dozens of possibilities. But most of them are much more elaborate and complex than what I need. I just want to generate invoices. And most of them are cloud based with annual subscription fees. I would prefer a desktop version that I can buy.

Is there a shareware program that might work?

Thanks, CM

Running Win 10 & Office 365.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,250 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:39 AM

Posted 13 July 2017 - 09:30 PM

I can't imagine what's difficult about using MS-Word to generate a beautiful invoice.  It's what I've been using for years now.

Download this "genericized" document template based on my own and have a look:  https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B98uELZbPFnOZ19BdGpkaXoyeTA

Edit it to your heart's content.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Presenting the willfully ignorant with facts is the very definition of casting pearls before swine.

~ Brian Vogel

#3 Cynthia Moore

Cynthia Moore
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 317 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2017 - 09:43 PM

I can't imagine what's difficult about using MS-Word to generate a beautiful invoice.  It's what I've been using for years now.

Download this "genericized" document template based on my own and have a look:  https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B98uELZbPFnOZ19BdGpkaXoyeTA

Edit it to your heart's content.

Word is great at making things beautiful. It's less great at calculations. Unless I did something wrong, your template does no calculations. I need to do them elsewhere and then type them in. This is error prone and a duplication of effort.

My Word+Excel solution is to do the calculations in Excel, then paste that table into Word as a graphic image. That gets the calculations right, but it's still tedious and the 30/60/90/120 days past due calculations are difficult even in Excel.

#4 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,250 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2017 - 10:10 PM

Excel can be made to be beautiful, but I chose Word because my invoices are simple and I prefer to do my own calculations for same.

I'm not criticizing you, but you said, "simple software to generate invoices that I can save as PDFs and send."  If the invoice is as simple as mine are I don't really need things to auto-calculate.  I have billing sheets I submit that are Excel and do auto-calculate, but are not particularly pretty.  They're really straight tables.  I can genericize one of those if you'd like, but it would be a complex task to turn it into an invoice like you'd likely want.

I essentially wanted something that would be just like what I'd do with pen and paper on an old-style invoice pad, but generated on the computer, so that's what I did.  You want something much more automated, it seems, and that's a different kettle of fish.

There are scads of free MS-Excel invoice templates that you can download and customize.  See the results from this search:  https://duckduckgo.com/?q=free+ms+excel+invoice+template&t=hq&atb=v33-7__&ia=web

This is how I've found the baselines for virtually anything I've used, but then customize the ones that come closest to what I was looking for.

This MS-Excel Invoice that calculates looks good as a starting point:  https://templates.office.com/en-us/Service-invoice-TM00000031 

Edited by britechguy, 13 July 2017 - 10:15 PM.
Added URL for specific Excel Invoice Template

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Presenting the willfully ignorant with facts is the very definition of casting pearls before swine.

~ Brian Vogel

#5 Cynthia Moore

Cynthia Moore
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 317 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2017 - 04:42 AM

Thanks for the links. I'll check them out.

And I'm not criticizing you, either. I just know myself. If I do the calculations by hand, I'll screw it up. Plus I have to add "Previous balance", "Payments received", etc.

Cheers...

#6 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,098 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:39 PM

Posted 14 July 2017 - 06:32 PM

Copy > Paste special > Paste link

I think it is possible to set up a template - such as Brian has outlined, above - to include links like 'Previous balance' and 'Payments received', but even if it isn't it is very easy to paste entries from one sheet in a spreadsheet, or even entries from a different spreadsheet, into a form like an invoice.

I agree that creating a 'pretty' invoice template in Excel requires a bit of work but, since it is a template, you only have to do it once. I am the Treasurer for a small local Club and my 'Income and Expenditure' statement is entirely automated with links. It's a copy-paste job at the start of each financial year and basically that's it.

Chris Cosgrove

#7 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2017 - 06:37 PM

I would suggest downloading and running the 30-day free trial of QuickBooks and see how you like it...

https://quickbooks.intuit.com/t/qbks-13588/c/homepage/

You need to consider your overall business accounting, along with invoicing.

Edited by jwoods301, 14 July 2017 - 06:38 PM.

#8 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,250 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2017 - 09:40 PM

I would suggest downloading and running the 30-day free trial of QuickBooks and see how you like it...

https://quickbooks.intuit.com/t/qbks-13588/c/homepage/

You need to consider your overall business accounting, along with invoicing.

For a very small business, particularly if it's a sole proprietorship with a small client base, QuickBooks is probably overkill.  Not that one couldn't use it, but . . .

~ Brian Vogel

#9 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2017 - 10:57 PM

Version for independent contractors as well as small businesses...

https://quickbooks.intuit.com/t/qbks-13588/c/pricing/

Comes in handy at tax time as well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users