Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

AMD Threadripper prices undercut Intel's Core i9 by as much as $1,000

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,011 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:26 AM

Posted 13 July 2017 - 09:30 AM

AMD has revealed the prices for some of its Threadripper CPUs, using the same effective strategy that it executed for its mainstream Ryzen chips: set eye-popping discounts compared to Intel’s own Core i9 family, and probably earlier release dates, too.

On Thursday, AMD disclosed the model numbers, price, and rough availability of both the 12- and 16-core AMD Threadripper chips, designed for the upper echelons of gaming and content-creation PCs: 

The $999 16-core, 32-thread 3.4-GHz Threadripper 1950X
The $799 12-core, 24-thread 3.5-GHz Threadripper 1920X

Given that information, we also know the difference between what Intel and AMD will charge for their respective offerings. You’ll pay $700 less for a 1950X than Intel’s 16-core, 32-thread Core i9-7960X, and a thousand dollars less than Intel’s 18-core, 36-thread Core i9-7980XE. On the lower end, the Threadripper 12-core 1920X costs $400 less than the 12-core Core i9-7920X, and $600 less than the 14-core Core i9-7940X.

Article

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,401 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:26 PM

Posted 13 July 2017 - 10:04 AM

AMD comeback seems perfect right now.

#3 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,363 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2017 - 10:13 AM

Maybe in 5 years I can afford this. Cool!

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#4 MDD1963

MDD1963

• Members
  • 699 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:26 PM

Posted 15 July 2017 - 06:08 AM

The $999 7900X is the max available anyway, so, unless the competitor is free, it's a little hard to undercut by $1000....; assuming you were talking about the higher end vaporware forecasted to cost $2000, you are correct...

Speaking of vaporware, of the two products mentioned, i9 and Threadripper.....the i9 can actually be purchased. :)

Asus Z270A Prime/7700K/32 GB DDR4-3200/GTX1060

#5 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,401 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2017 - 03:55 AM

The $999 7900X is the max available anyway, so, unless the competitor is free, it's a little hard to undercut by $1000....; assuming you were talking about the higher end vaporware forecasted to cost $2000, you are correct...

Speaking of vaporware, of the two products mentioned, i9 and Threadripper.....the i9 can actually be purchased. :)

Only low core count i9's are available.

Also vaporware = something that never came available, Threadripper is not even supposed to be available yet.

#6 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2017 - 05:56 AM

On the lower end, the Threadripper 12-core 1920X costs $400 less than the 12-core Core i9-7920X, and $600 less than the 14-core Core i9-7940X.

Damn, the lower end is a 12-core CPU. I remember the days when people were fascinated by the introduction of dual-core processors...

tenor.gif

Edited by hamluis, 17 July 2017 - 03:03 PM.

#7 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,346 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:26 AM

Posted 16 July 2017 - 06:28 AM

UNREAL. :scratchhead:

I can not even imagine spending that amount of money on a computer much less spending that amount of money for a single part of a computer.

The eleven year old desktop computer mentioned in my signature below is blazing fast and does everything that is needed.

Best part is the cost which was only time needed to clean it up and install Linux.

I'm grumpy because I can be not because I'm old.

The world is what you make of it, if it doesn't fit, you make alterations.

Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.  (Mark Twain)

#8 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,142 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2017 - 01:45 PM

There are few areas where marketing performance that virtually no one actually needs or uses is as successful as it is with high-end automobiles and high-end microprocessors.

There is a certain crowd that simply must have the newest, shiniest, and fastest whether they ever use it to anywhere near to its full potential or not.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#9 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2017 - 03:31 PM

There are few areas where marketing performance that virtually no one actually needs or uses is as successful as it is with high-end automobiles and high-end microprocessors.

There is a certain crowd that simply must have the newest, shiniest, and fastest whether they ever use it to anywhere near to its full potential or not.

That's incredibly true. Your Samsung Galaxy S7 is slightly faster than the most powerful computer I have ever tested in my life. Do you utilize all the smartphone's resources or is it one of those technologies where you only expect to use it to its full computing potential as the years go by and more and more is asked from whatever device one sports?:)

#10 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,142 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2017 - 06:05 PM

That's incredibly true. Your Samsung Galaxy S7 is slightly faster than the most powerful computer I have ever tested in my life. Do you utilize all the smartphone's resources or is it one of those technologies where you only expect to use it to its full computing potential as the years go by and more and more is asked from whatever device one sports? :)

Actually, I got this Galaxy S7 free from a friend who had received it as a temporary replacement during the "Burning Note 7" period.  When they finally decided that the folks who had Note 7s were going to be given S7 Edge models after the 2nd generation of Note 7 batteries also burst into flames unannounced, they told my friend at exchange time, "Oh, we've already written those off and are not expecting them to be returned.  Keep it and do what you want with it."

I would never have actually purchased a Galaxy S7, either when it was new or even now when it still retails for about $500 new.   The most expensive smartphone I ever bought was an LG Optimus V, when they'd been out for a while, for a bit over $125.  My follow-up to that was an LG Tribute that cost $40 and was, of course, a much more powerful phone (for a far lower price).   I couldn't justify a high-end smartphone's expense when they are the "new, shiny" model for love nor money.

I lucked out in having generous friends who are of the "Ooooooooh, Shiny" Syndrome class when it comes to new technology who got burned (not literally, though) by getting 2 Note 7s almost the moment they hit the market.  Their loss, and Samsung's, was my gain.

I doubt I'll ever "max out" the processing power of an S7 and will probably have this thing for a very, very long time as a result.

Edited by hamluis, 17 July 2017 - 03:04 PM.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#11 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2017 - 06:40 PM

Haha, yes, I thought so. It is a lucky situation for you; the Samsung Galaxy S7 is really a very good phone and just in general an awesome piece of tech. Still, quite strange how often some people re-new their under-utilized stuff. I guess they just like the feel of new stuff, with which I don't argue, but it would still make me feel bad even if I were rich, if I were to spend so much money on constantly buying the newest of everything.

You will have a good time tinkering and rooting that Galaxy S7 when the time comes for it to be 'debloated', when it starts feeling sluggish. But, as you said, I don't see that happening in the next 3 years or so.:)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users