Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Buying a IbuyPower warranty question

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 Shannonmelek

Shannonmelek

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2017 - 02:11 AM

I am making the move from Mac to ibuypower due to work needs. My question is so I purchase the warranty from Best Buy? Or does the ibuypower already com equipped with a warranty regardless of where it was purchased.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/ibuypower-desktop-amd-ryzen-7-series-16gb-memory-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1060-240gb-solid-state-drive-1tb-hard-drive-black-white/5789055.p?skuId=5789055

The one I am considering.

Thank you.

Edit: Moved topic from General Chat to the more appropriate forum, as suggested. ~ Animal

Edited by Chris Cosgrove, 16 July 2017 - 05:59 PM.
Edited to merge topics.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

I'm different!

• Members
  • 1,645 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:37 AM

Posted 13 July 2017 - 04:05 AM

It seems a very standard warranty but you may benefit by buying a warranty from best buy.

But then again that all depends on what you are buying.

What ibuypower computer are you considering?

We can determine if you are better off buying from ibuypower directly or not will be a benefit to you as you dont want bad hardware for high prices.

We may also be able to offer better pre built suggestions if PC building is out of your comfort zone, though building a PC is not as hard as it sounds.

Either way this is a great place to ask for PC buying advice, though there was a sub section for this sort of thing here https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/171/questions-and-advice-for-buying-a-new-computer/

So mods move this topic when you can please.

Edited by MadmanRB, 13 July 2017 - 04:10 AM.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

gh8un5-6.png

#3 Shannonmelek

Shannonmelek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2017 - 12:01 PM

It seems a very standard warranty but you may benefit by buying a warranty from best buy.
But then again that all depends on what you are buying.
What ibuypower computer are you considering?
We can determine if you are better off buying from ibuypower directly or not will be a benefit to you as you dont want bad hardware for high prices.
We may also be able to offer better pre built suggestions if PC building is out of your comfort zone, though building a PC is not as hard as it sounds.
Either way this is a great place to ask for PC buying advice, though there was a sub section for this sort of thing here https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/171/questions-and-advice-for-buying-a-new-computer/
So mods move this topic when you can please.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/ibuypower-desktop-amd-ryzen-7-series-16gb-memory-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1060-240gb-solid-state-drive-1tb-hard-drive-black-white/5789055.p?skuId=5789055

That's the one I am considering. Thank you.

#4 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

I'm different!

• Members
  • 1,645 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2017 - 01:04 PM

Oh yes, you will be getting a great machine there.

Fantastic choice!

Then I will say still get the best buy plan, I mean the geek squad may be a bunch of cavemen who really send the computer back to the maker but they will help you send it back to ibuypower if anything goes wrong.

Sure it is only a year and yes you could diagnose your owin issues here on these forums but since you are new to PC coming from mac this is actually a rather fantastic choice.

Edited by MadmanRB, 13 July 2017 - 01:04 PM.

Proud Vivaldi user.

gh8un5-6.png

#5 Shannonmelek

Shannonmelek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2017 - 01:13 PM

Oh yes, you will be getting a great machine there.

Fantastic choice!

Then I will say still get the best buy plan, I mean the geek squad may be a bunch of cavemen who really send the computer back to the maker but they will help you send it back to ibuypower if anything goes wrong.

Sure it is only a year and yes you could diagnose your owin issues here on these forums but since you are new to PC coming from mac this is actually a rather fantastic choice.

Thank you! I spent countless hours at best buy talking to their team and they ALL convinced me to ditch mac. But I was wondering do I really NEEED to have that model? I want a SSD for sure, and something with great color graphics, so I was also considering

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/ibuypower-desktop-amd-fx-series-16gb-memory-amd-radeon-rx-460-120gb-solid-state-drive-2tb-hard-drive-white/5600305.p?skuId=5600305 

Let me know what you think? Im a photographer and do mainly weddings, so Im constantly in photoshop/lightroom, and lately I have been dabbling a little into videography. So my main focus is speed, accuracy, and storage.

Thank you.

#6 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

I'm different!

• Members
  • 1,645 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2017 - 01:18 PM

No that model is not worth it as it has a FX processor in it.

The Ryzen line from AMD is actually very good compared to the older chips AMD has made in the last 10 years.

Not only will the ryzen computer give you a better processor with far better performance

http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/AMD-Ryzen-7-1700-vs-AMD-FX-6300/3917vs1555

That extra $200 is actually going to be money well spent as its a more current hardware with a far more powerful processor.

Its specially far better at rendering which is perfect for your needs

Edited by MadmanRB, 13 July 2017 - 01:25 PM.

Proud Vivaldi user.

gh8un5-6.png

#7 Shannonmelek

Shannonmelek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2017 - 01:29 PM

No that model is not worth it as it has a FX processor in it.

The Ryzen line from AMD is actually very good compared to the older chips AMD has made in the last 10 years.

Not only will the ryzen computer give you a better processor with far better performance

http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/AMD-Ryzen-7-1700-vs-AMD-FX-6300/3917vs1555

That extra $200 is actually going to be money well spent as its a more current hardware with a far more powerful processor.

Its specially far better at rendering which is perfect for your needs

Thanks so much!

#8 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

I'm different!

• Members
  • 1,645 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2017 - 01:31 PM

Well if you need further convincing may i ask about your current mac?

Do you know its specs?

As I have a lot of knowledge on this and i can tell you if this upgrade will pay off.

It probably will but it does help to know the hardware you are coming from.

Edited by MadmanRB, 13 July 2017 - 01:32 PM.

Proud Vivaldi user.

gh8un5-6.png

#9 Shannonmelek

Shannonmelek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2017 - 01:32 PM

I have a MacBook and its a POS. Lol Its always lagging, I have to close EVERYTHING and then do edits and it still lags. 

#10 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

I'm different!

• Members
  • 1,645 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2017 - 01:44 PM

Well if you hate it then indeed it will be a worthy upgrade :D

I mean not only will you have the ability to upgrade your hardware with this new PC but you can do it without any hand holding or limitation.

I mean keep the Macbook but use it as your secondary, this will be your powerhouse and will indeed pay off over time thanks to being able to get more work done and the like.

Laptops in general do have drawbacks, I imagine this is what a Macbook air or something from a few years ago?

Rather it be a Mac Laptop or one from dell you do have severe limitations with hardware compared to a desktop.

Portability is still good however so you can use your mac as you carry around but do the bulk of your work on your PC.

Edited by MadmanRB, 13 July 2017 - 01:48 PM.

Proud Vivaldi user.

gh8un5-6.png

#11 Shannonmelek

Shannonmelek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2017 - 02:17 PM

Yes its from 2013 I got it before starting my own business. I just recently started noticing the lag, I've cleared my computer and work off a external but this computer wasn't meant for extreme editing 8 hours a day everyday. I will keep it and use as portable business needs or just web surfing. :) Thank you so much for your help.

#12 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

I'm different!

• Members
  • 1,645 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2017 - 02:20 PM

Indeed, may i ask why you got a Mac in the first place?

Are you a long term apple user?

Or did you hop on the Apple train for other reasons, perhaps the clout that Apple is associated with photo editing and the like?

Knowing some of your background will help, I am not asking for a bio but it does help in assessing yourself to the community so we can advise what to do as we are very tech minded and we can understand if you are a newcomer to the PC world.

Edited by MadmanRB, 13 July 2017 - 02:22 PM.

Proud Vivaldi user.

gh8un5-6.png

#13 Shannonmelek

Shannonmelek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2017 - 02:27 PM

I got it at the because I always wanted a MacBook lol Just for websurfing and to have a computer. Before then I always use to just have a windows based desktops for websurifng nothing crazy, I never got into gaming, besides dating some guys who played counterstrike and me attempting to play. 

#14 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

I'm different!

• Members
  • 1,645 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2017 - 02:47 PM

Understood, then getting into your new PC will be easier then :D

I did have to ask just in case you were deep in the apple ecosystem.

Proud Vivaldi user.

gh8un5-6.png

#15 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 334 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 AM

Posted 13 July 2017 - 03:06 PM

I would check out Newegg and see what they offer.

I have seen good deals on desktops similar to what is posted in your links above.

They also offer excellent kit builds and assembling a desktop is not hard to do.

As far as the Warranty or Service Plan I have seen Best Buy and Geek Squad repair and I was not impressed.

Just some thoughts.

antiX-17.b1_x64-full keerfa 29 June 2017, Dell Precision WorkStation 380, Intel Pentium D 820 Smithfield  2.8 GHz Processor, 3.0 GB DDR2 Memory, NVIDIA NV44 [Quadro NVS 285] Graphics Card.

:idea: Save an Old Computer Install Linux.  :cool:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users