Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need to set up a USB flash drive so it can be read by two different computers

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,962 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:22 AM

Posted 12 July 2017 - 11:52 PM

One computer is Windows XP SP3.  As soon as I finish getting things rigged up, it is going offline.  The other computer has Windows 7.  I'm setting things up so that with a KVS switch, I can view either the XP computer or the Windows 7 computer on my monitor.  Only one at a time, not both.

Now, my printer will not run on Windows 7, and so when I store files that I want to print, I need to store them to a USB flash drive.  I really don't want to keep unplugging that drive from one computer box to the other.  I'd like to keep it plugged into one thing.

So, I would like to know if there is a device I could plug the USB flash drive into that I could run a cable to from the XP box and another cable to the Windows 7 box so that either computer could read or write to the drive, but not at the same time.  So, if I switch to the Windows 7 computer with the KVS switch, I'd like to flip a switch that will switch the USB flash drive to read and write from the Windows 7 computer; and conversely, when I switch to the XP computer, I'd like to flip a switch so that the USB flash drive would now be read and written to by the XP computer.  The device would automatically "unplug and plug in" the device from one computer to the other but do so electronically rather than physically.

Is there such a device?

~ OB :cherry:

Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:22 AM

Posted 13 July 2017 - 01:02 AM

Don't know if this is what you have in mind, but I might try doing it with permissions, or mapping/unmapping the flash drive over the network.

If the "XP flash drive user" is not logged on, it can't access the drive.

If the "Win7 flash drive user" is logged on, then the "XP flash drive user" needs to be logged off and vice versa.

Or you might write log on and log off scrips to map and unmap the drive on each machine.

My 2 cents.

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,025 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2017 - 08:48 AM

Something like this?

https://www.amazon.com/Plugable-One-Button-Swapping-Between-Computers/dp/B006Z0Q2SI

https://www.amazon.com/IOGEAR-Computer-Peripheral-Sharing-GUS402/dp/B00BD8I2OY

https://www.amazon.com/UGREEN-Sharing-Peripheral-Switcher-Adapter/dp/B01CU4QCRS/ref=pd_sim_147_7/141-9472710-5710937?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B01CU4QCRS&pd_rd_r=0293D930RP0095VE75JZ&pd_rd_w=ko3IA&pd_rd_wg=1l13c&psc=1&refRID=0293D930RP0095VE75JZ

#4 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,161 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2017 - 10:39 AM

Also, if I might ask, why not network the two computers (which I actually presume you have) and store whatever it is you need to access from either in the Public folders?

I can access these on each and every one of the machines on my home network.  If it must be USB you could leave it plugged in on one machine and share the drive on the LAN.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#5 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:22 AM

Posted 13 July 2017 - 03:33 PM

I'd probably go with the I/O Gear product linked by JohnC_21 as the other two seem to be geared for printers and scanners.  I've never used a USB switch for a memory stick.

One thing you will have to be careful about is ejecting the device, or making sure that the write is finished, before you switch machines.

Something like this cable, might be an option to connect the two computers together and allow you to put files on the other machine.

#6 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• Topic Starter

• 36,962 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2017 - 11:27 PM

Thank you for the suggestions everyone.

I don't want to network the two computers.  It doesn't make sense to me to do so.  I suspect if I did, that would make the XP box vulnerable to the internet via the Windows 7 box and the shared stuff.  I don't want to take chance once I get the bugger off-line.  I have only one monitor.  The two computer boxes are going to be right next to each other.  How on earth would one "Map a drive" anyway?

The link to the IO Gear switch got me to exploring, and I discovered this one:

https://www.amazon.com/SIIG-SuperSpeed-Switch-Adapter-JU-SW0012-S1/dp/B005EHND30

It specifically states that it will work with USB external drives, so that indicates to me that it will work for a flash drive as well.

~ OB :cherry:

Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#7 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:22 AM

Posted 14 July 2017 - 12:00 AM

Mapping a drive would require the machines to be networked...

https://its.broad.msu.edu/documentation/network-drive-7/

https://its.broad.msu.edu/documentation/network-drive-xp/

Scripts to map/unmap -

http://loginscripts.com/network-drives.asp

Edited by jwoods301, 14 July 2017 - 12:02 AM.

#8 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• Topic Starter

• 36,962 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2017 - 11:49 AM

I've been doing some reading and looking around, and here's my thought of what I can do given the warnings I've read about switching while the USB flash drive is still being read or written to.

I can have the drive plugged into the switch.  When I wish to switch from one computer to the other, I can go through the computer interface and turn off that drive.  Electronically unmount it.  I do that anyway when I want to physically unplug it.  Alternately, I could power down the computer. Then, I flip the KVM and USB switches, then turn on the other computer.  The computer SHOULD then mount the USB drive that's plugged into the switch.

~ Orange Blossom :cherry:

Orange Blossom

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users