Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sli Installed. Which Card?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 xtinctss

xtinctss

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:37 PM

Posted 12 September 2006 - 02:09 PM

Umm, I installed my second SLI card. Set up the MB and BIOs for it (I think!). Which card should I use for the display? I as as I plug into one card and the disply works. I plug into the other I have a black screen. Is this right or is something wrong?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 legoman786

legoman786

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:37 PM

Posted 12 September 2006 - 11:17 PM

You need the bridge connecting the 2 cards in the computer and to hook up the monitor you need the Y-cable allowing both video cards to be hooked to the same monitor. Also, you cannot run 2 or more display off of an SLI or crossfire setup.

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
- Rick Cook

#3 Klinkaroo

Klinkaroo

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:37 PM

Posted 13 September 2006 - 06:29 PM

Hmm just a quick little correction here. Nvidia SLI does not use a Y cable it uses a little piece that connects the cards inside the case. This should have come with the cards or your motherboard. This will let the two cards talk to each other. The Y type cable is for ATI crossfire.

#4 xtinctss

xtinctss
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:37 PM

Posted 14 September 2006 - 10:35 AM

So should it make a difference which card I plugged into?

#5 Klinkaroo

Klinkaroo

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2006 - 03:33 PM

Not sure... but basically plug it into the slot that you get video from...

Check the manual it might be written in there..

#6 legoman786

legoman786

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2006 - 12:27 AM

You need both to get it to work. One connects the cards in the case, and the other hooks up both cards to one monitor. Look it up. I dont mean to offend but please have your facts straight.

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
- Rick Cook

#7 Klinkaroo

Klinkaroo

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2006 - 08:01 AM

Me neiter but just google around sli and you will see that SLI only requires the bridge on the inside and no Y cable and that crossfire uses a different system that doesn't require the bridge on the inside but a y cable on the outside.

Edited by Klinkaroo, 17 September 2006 - 08:02 AM.

#8 legoman786

legoman786

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2006 - 01:58 PM

Actually, ATi is now making a new Crossfire setup which requires the use of a bridge on the inside. It's to get rid of the Crossfire Master/Crossfire Slave getup.

Edited by legoman786, 17 September 2006 - 01:58 PM.

- Rick Cook

#9 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 AM

Posted 17 September 2006 - 04:12 PM

When using two cards in SLI mode only the master card will output frames.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#10 legoman786

legoman786

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2006 - 05:17 PM

Dont you have to connect both cards together in SLI to one monitor? Thats how I have seen it. I've also seen the Crossfire setup done the same way.

- Rick Cook

#11 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 AM

Posted 18 September 2006 - 12:48 AM

On high-end cards you need the SLI connector to connect the cards. You can have the cards hoked up to several monitors, but only one will show a picture. You can in the driver switch from SLI to multi-monitor mode on the fly.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users