Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Networking 40+ devices

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 mrtonkatrucks

mrtonkatrucks

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:05 PM

Posted 12 July 2017 - 11:24 PM

So I'm trying to network together a business which is about to go from 20 to 40+ devices onsite at each premise.
Currently networked is an ADSL/VDSL/NBN router which goes to an unmanaged switch then to 1-6 other wifi access points (mostly TP-LINK WA901ND's) depending on the size of the centre.
We're already getting wifi connections drop as the current default ISP's routers in each building can only handle around 20 devices at a time.
Would problems be fixed by just upgrading all the ISP's routers to something like a NetGear Nighthawk or is there more to this problem?

Thanks ^_^

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 toofarnorth

toofarnorth

• Members
  • 367 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:05 AM

Posted 13 July 2017 - 02:33 PM

Hello

Buy business grade equipment and it will make it a lot easier to maintain stable internet and wifi.

Wifi is particularily sensitive to how it is set up and if you are struggling you should get someone with experience to set it up for you.

If you want to do it yourself perhaps a cloud based solution like Ubiquiti or Zyxel would be perfect for your needs
Both will give you excellent value for the money and make managing things very easy!

Hth!

tfn

#3 mrtonkatrucks

mrtonkatrucks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2017 - 09:20 PM

Thanks, will definitely look into that. Unfortunately my knowledge only extends to home/small business solutions at the moment, when it comes to more enterprise things I struggle but thanks for your help anyways.

#4 arlattimor

arlattimor

• Members
  • 591 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:05 AM

Posted 24 July 2017 - 03:02 PM

I just want to make sure I understand. Is this a business class router that has been provided by your ISP or a residential router? Also, your TP-Link WA901ND are the very same access points I used to build my church's wireless network and we have 12 going thru the property. The sanctuary, the parsonage, the education building, and the admin office building.

I have this configured to a pfsense firewall running routing on a stick with 4 vlans. On a Cisco 2960 48 port switch. So I know from personal experience those TP-Link WA901ND are good aps. 

Edited by arlattimor, 24 July 2017 - 03:06 PM.

A. Lattimore

CCNA, CWNA, MCITP, MCSA, MCT, MCP, Security+, Server+, Linux+, Network+, A+, CNST

Network Security Engineer

#5 mrtonkatrucks

mrtonkatrucks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2017 - 07:18 PM

Thanks for that info. It's more of a residential ISP router which I think is where part of the problem lies, it can't handle the network since they're only rated to manage up to 20 devices. I'm starting to think it would be a good idea to install managed switches to at least take the DHCP and other protocols away from the router and also upgrading all the ISP routers to business grade ones. 

Current ISP routers -> https://www.telstra.com.au/content/dam/tcom/small-business/broadband/pdf/telstra-gateway-pro-v7610-user-guide.pdf

I have no experience with VLANs but I'm not sure if I even need that, it's all the same wireless SSID and there's no need for a separate network for any staff.

#6 arlattimor

arlattimor

• Members
  • 591 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2017 - 07:29 PM

So when you say rated they have a subnet-mask configured in the DHCP setting of the router to support only 20 hosts? Becuase there is no CIDR notation that will support 20 hosts. 255.255.255.224 /27 will give you 30 hosts and 255.255.255.240 /28 will give you 14 hosts. If you need to support 40 hosts then you would use 255.255.255.192 /26 this would give you 62 possible hosts. This is just subnetting this is an easy fix big guy we just need to correctly configure your Router & WAPS.  

Edited by arlattimor, 24 July 2017 - 07:30 PM.

A. Lattimore

CCNA, CWNA, MCITP, MCSA, MCT, MCP, Security+, Server+, Linux+, Network+, A+, CNST

#7 arlattimor

arlattimor

• Members
  • 591 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2017 - 07:39 PM

Reading quickly over this manual this is a business class router it has VLAN support. This is sounding more like the equipment is misconfigured. Which can be easily corrected.

Edited by arlattimor, 24 July 2017 - 07:40 PM.

A. Lattimore

#8 arlattimor

arlattimor

• Members
  • 591 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2017 - 07:42 PM

Also, how do you have your WAPS configured? You do have 5 channels of separation between each access point right? 

Edited by arlattimor, 24 July 2017 - 07:44 PM.

A. Lattimore

#9 mrtonkatrucks

mrtonkatrucks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2017 - 07:46 PM

I'm assuming the DHCP is fine, I've been told by the ISP that it's a hardware limitation but maybe not? The subnet is 255.255.255.0, I've checked the DHCP and I can use the full 192.168.1.2-254 IP address range.

ISP Router currently handles all of this, the APs don't have DHCP enabled and the network switches are unmanaged.

So the setup is basically:

ISP router -> unmanaged network switch -> multiple APs with channels manually configured between Channel 1, 6 and 11.

ISP Router manages DHCP/DNS/etc.. switch just links the router to APs with Cat6 and ISP router and APs all have the same wireless SSID.

#10 arlattimor

arlattimor

• Members
  • 591 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2017 - 07:55 PM

The way the router is configured from your recent post supports up to 254 hosts so it's not the router. How old are the WAPs and when was the last time their firmware was updated? You need to ensure that there is 5 channels of separation between each access point.

A. Lattimore

#11 arlattimor

arlattimor

• Members
  • 591 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2017 - 07:59 PM

And Static IPs are assigned to your waps right. They aren't configured to be DHCP clients right?

A. Lattimore

#12 arlattimor

arlattimor

• Members
  • 591 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2017 - 08:04 PM

Your channels are manually between 1, 6, 11 that's good. Do they have static ip addresses assigned to them? Just read your post catching up big guy lol

Edited by arlattimor, 24 July 2017 - 08:05 PM.

A. Lattimore

#13 arlattimor

arlattimor

• Members
  • 591 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2017 - 08:07 PM

If they have static ip addresses assigned then the only things I can think of is updating your firmware to latest version and checking your broadcast strength setting for each wap.

Edited by arlattimor, 24 July 2017 - 08:08 PM.

A. Lattimore

#14 mrtonkatrucks

mrtonkatrucks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2017 - 12:33 AM

Yes yes and yes. Done all that. I've reserved static IPs for all APs in the router DHCP so they always have the same IP address, I had one or two ISP routers that didn't like assigning static IPs inside the DHCP pool so I assigned the IP manually outside the DHCP pool on the router for the APs. I can still always successfully ping whenever connected using both methods. Is one method better practice?

APs are set up just like that image with all each AP having a different channel. 1, 6 and 11 and there is no channel overlapping.

All APs have the latest firmware available and most are brand new. They are on default broadcast strength which I think is just maximum anyways.

And thanks for all your help too :)

Edited by mrtonkatrucks, 25 July 2017 - 12:40 AM.

#15 arlattimor

arlattimor

• Members
  • 591 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2017 - 12:36 AM

No problem Big Guy. Ok now let me ask this, before the WAPS was mounted was a site survey done? 

Edited by arlattimor, 25 July 2017 - 12:36 AM.

A. Lattimore

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users