Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

help 100% disk usage problem, win10 - common causes?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 computerbroken

computerbroken

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:44 PM

Posted 12 July 2017 - 11:16 PM

does anyone know the best way to solve this type of problem? or how to diagnose this problem? or the most common reasons for why it happens?

* happens on startup and just randomly from time to time

* solves by itself randomly

* the performance mointer thingy shows it's not any of programs cos none of them are high at all

been happening for like... i don't know whenever win10 first came out, i just never asked and could never find an answer

Edited by computerbroken, 12 July 2017 - 11:24 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:44 PM

Posted 12 July 2017 - 11:43 PM

Download and run Sysinternals' Process Explorer.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653

See which process is using the most CPU and/or memory.

Double click on the process name and select the Threads tab to see which thread is using the most resources.

Also, enable the VirusTotal check in Process Explorer by clicking on Options > VirusTotal.com > Check VirusTotal.com

Use the built-in Windows Snipping Tool to grab screen shots.

Post the images on a site such as Dropbox, Imgur, etc. and paste the links to the images in the thread.

Desktop Windows Manager has often been identified as a culprit.

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/desktop-window-manager-dwm-exe

#3 Firefoxthebomb

Firefoxthebomb

• Members
  • 457 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:44 PM

Posted 13 July 2017 - 10:09 AM

Hello and Welcome!

I have seen this happen on some computers when its trying to download and install windows updates.

Next time this happens check to see if Windows is running updates.

A quick way to check to see if its windows updates is to go to Services and turn off the Windows Updates Service. If disk usage goes down then you found that this is affecting your disk usage.

If this is the case, then the solution is to let it finish installing the updates.

firefoxsig-resized.jpg.b57936275b99d45f7

Dell Precision T7810, Win10 64bit fully updated, Symantec Endpoint Protection,
Watchguard Firewall, Intel Xeon E5-2620v4 CPUs, Dual 8 Core Processors, 32GB Ram,
E5-2620v4 @ 2.10GHz X 2, AMD FirePro W4100 with 4 Screens, 500GB SSD Boot Drive,
Raid-1 Dual 2TB Sata 10000 rpm Hard Drives, DVD Burner, IE11, Opera, MBAM, MBSB, MBAE

#4 computerbroken

computerbroken
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2017 - 10:41 PM

'Sysinternals'

i mentioned that i already checked the performance mointer thingy

#5 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:44 PM

Posted 17 July 2017 - 12:06 AM

The Sysinternals tool provides much more detail.

Setup and run the tool as requested above and post screen shots of the results.

Edited by jwoods301, 17 July 2017 - 12:07 AM.

#6 Iceriver19

Iceriver19

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:44 PM

Posted 19 July 2017 - 03:33 PM

Hello and Welcome!

I have seen this happen on some computers when its trying to download and install windows updates.

A quick way to check to see if its windows updates is to go to Services and turn off the Windows Updates Service. If disk usage goes down then you found that this is affecting your disk usage.

If this is the case, then the solution is to let it finish installing the updates.

Also, with Windows 10, your computer by default is setup as a "server" to download Windows Updates to other computers on your local network as other users in the Internet. 

1. Go to PC Settings

2. Open Update and Security

3. Select Advanced Options

4. Select Choose how updates are delivered

5. Turn off that option

Sometimes when you are "Downloading Windows Updates" you are actually uploading to the world.  This was my issue with Windows 10 being so slow.  Turning this off, fixed my slowness issues.

Hope it helps.

One machine can do the work of fifty ordinary men. No machine can do the work of one extraordinary man.

– Elbert Hubbard

______________________________________________________________________________________

~IceRiver19~

#7 100cigarettes

100cigarettes

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2017 - 07:18 PM

I had this problem for so long I thought it was just crappy and old hardware. Look if superfetch is a running process. Kill it. My system would idle around 25-40 percent and max out just opening a web browser. Now it's a happy 1-2% when idle. I found this by watching task manager on a second screen when I used the PC. Eventually I was able to spot what process was hogging the CPU. 

#8 computerbroken

computerbroken
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2017 - 04:27 PM

Hello and Welcome!

Also, with Windows 10, your computer by default is setup as a "server" to download Windows Updates to other computers on your local network as other users in the Internet. 

1. Go to PC Settings

2. Open Update and Security

3. Select Advanced Options

4. Select Choose how updates are delivered

5. Turn off that option

Sometimes when you are "Downloading Windows Updates" you are actually uploading to the world.  This was my issue with Windows 10 being so slow.  Turning this off, fixed my slowness issues.

Hope it helps.

it wont turn off, i turn it off but then when i go back to this screen

it's on again by itself, why??

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users