Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Start menu rearranging after I open other apps. No!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 SomeRandomGuy7474728

SomeRandomGuy7474728

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 PM

Posted 12 July 2017 - 05:54 PM

Hi,

I am using Windows Vista Ultimate x86 on a Dell Optiplex PC. I have a strange request here, but I hope there is a way to fix it. I do remember when Vista was coming out, I was hearing that the Start menu will have a feature that displays recently opened programs. When I ended up getting Vista though, I noticed that in the Start menu, there was a list of everyday apps already in there before I opened anything, but when I do open apps though, the orientation changes. But I myself happen to like the orientation it comes with, so, ever since I got Vista, I have been going crazy attempting to keep the Start menu in that orientation, and it has just become a habit. But is there any way to make it stay the way it is? I have heard that if you open Taskbar properties, then click Start menu, and uncheck show a list of recently opened apps, it would do what I wanted. But no, when I did it, it just removed them all! I had to open them all back in the right order to get them back! So what I am saying is that I don't want it to rearrange anything as I open apps, and just keep the same orientation. So basically, I just want this feature disabled, and make it just a convenient list of everyday apps. Is there any regedit, group policy editor, or any trick for this? Please help! I have been driven nuts over the past few years since I got Vista!

Here is the orientation I like:

Top: Welcome Center, Windows Media Center, Windows Ultimate Extras, Windows Media Player, Windows Photo Gallery, Windows Live Messenger, Windows DVD Maker, Windows Meeting Space.

WHAT I'VE BEEN SUGGESTED AND HAS NOT WORKED:
1. Clicking Pin to Start menu on the apps. (didn't work because I want the apps listed below the line, not above the line.)
2. Unchecking pin recent items in taskbar properties (just removed them all).

There is also a picture of the default orientation that I like (from Wikipedia):

Attached File  Windows_Vista.png   95.24KB   2 downloads

(note that I have Windows Live Essentials so Windows Live Messenger is not Download and it is just Messenger. 

Edited by SomeRandomGuy7474728, 12 July 2017 - 06:38 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,666 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2017 - 06:14 PM

I don't have Vista but this works for 7 so I am assuming it works for Vista too. Right click each of your above programs and select Pin to Start Menu. Left click and drag to arrange them in the order of your preference. After arranging the the programs right click in the recent menu list and select Properties. Under the Start Menu tab uncheck the box next to Store and display recently opened programs if you only want to see your pinned programs.

Vista end of life arrived in April of this year and Security Updates are no longer offered by Microsoft. I would advise against doing any banking or internet purchases on the computer. There is a BC thread showing how to use Windows Server updates for Vista but this is not supported by Microsoft. 

Edited by JohnC_21, 12 July 2017 - 06:16 PM.

#3 SomeRandomGuy7474728

SomeRandomGuy7474728
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2017 - 06:17 PM

I don't have Vista but this works for 7 so I am assuming it works for Vista too. Right click each of your above programs and select Pin to Start Menu. Left click and drag to arrange them in the order of your preference. After arranging the the programs right click in the recent menu list and select Properties. Under the Start Menu tab uncheck the box next to Store and display recently opened programs if you only want to see your pinned programs.

Vista end of life arrived in April of this year and Security Updates are no longer offered by Microsoft. I would advise against doing any banking or internet purchases on the computer. There is a BC thread showing how to use Windows Server updates for Vista but this is not supported by Microsoft. 

Thanks JohnC, but I tried that before and it pinned it to the top section above the line, which is not where I want it. 

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,666 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2017 - 06:26 PM

That's the only thing I have, sorry. You can customize the number of programs shown. I don't know if that would help.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/160506/Show_More_or_Fewer_Recently_Used_Programs_in_the_Start_Menu.html

#5 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:39 PM

Posted 12 July 2017 - 07:20 PM

Right click on a blank spot in the Task Bar at the bottom of your screen and select Properties.

Select the Start Menu tab.

Click on the Customize button.

#6 SomeRandomGuy7474728

SomeRandomGuy7474728
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2017 - 06:23 PM

Right click on a blank spot in the Task Bar at the bottom of your screen and select Properties.

Select the Start Menu tab.

Click on the Customize button.

That gives you the option to put the shortcuts on the right side of the start menu, not on the inside on the bottom.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users