Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Reinstall OS issue

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 pistol22cal

pistol22cal

• Members
  • 294 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:59 AM

Posted 12 July 2017 - 05:35 PM

I was working on an older mac book and at the re-installation screen and was asked for apple id and password.

Then I was presented with an error, "Unavailable" something to that effect.

So, I googled!

Google informed me that this was due to the apple id never being tied to the mac book/OS

The work around was to open safari and sing into icloud which was not possible as the version of safari was too old.

I have yet to find a work around for that, does anyone have a solution?

I Love Lamp!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,214 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:59 AM

Posted 16 July 2017 - 12:58 PM

How old is the Macbook? What version of OS X was it running? Are you trying to reinstall that version, or upgrade?

#3 pistol22cal

pistol22cal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 294 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2017 - 07:03 AM

How old is the Macbook? What version of OS X was it running? Are you trying to reinstall that version, or upgrade?

It was about 5 years old and I was trying to reinstall the OS that apple made available to the computer, forgive my ignorance but I just do not know. Normally when I've had to do this the mac just reinstalls the OS on the new hard drive without issue.

I Love Lamp!

#4 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,214 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2017 - 07:56 AM

Have you been prompted to enter you AppleID credentials before?

If you log into your Apple account from another computer, do you see an entry for that OS? You may be able to download the installer onto another Mac, create a bootable USB with it, and reinstall the OS that way.

#5 pistol22cal

pistol22cal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 294 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2017 - 09:54 AM

Have you been prompted to enter you AppleID credentials before?

If you log into your Apple account from another computer, do you see an entry for that OS? You may be able to download the installer onto another Mac, create a bootable USB with it, and reinstall the OS that way.

Unfortunately the computer no longer is in my possession but I am assuming the solution to this would be to download the proper OS to a flashdrive and reinstall. 

I Love Lamp!

#6 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,214 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2017 - 10:12 AM

Unfortunately the computer no longer is in my possession but I am assuming the solution to this would be to download the proper OS to a flashdrive and reinstall. 

Yes.

Instructions on how to create a USB with the Mac OS installer, going back as far as Mavericks: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201372

#7 pistol22cal

pistol22cal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 294 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2017 - 08:28 PM

Yes.

Instructions on how to create a USB with the Mac OS installer, going back as far as Mavericks: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201372

Thank you!

I Love Lamp!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users