Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can an IP Address Be Compromised?

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#46 JimmyRiddle

JimmyRiddle

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 PM

Posted 23 July 2017 - 03:03 AM

Quick question on Dynamic IPs.

If a potential Hacker got your IP address at lets say 1200 in the afternoon. You unplugged the router and detached all cables, at 1202, then logged on again, (thus the dynamic IP changing to new address), would the IP that the hacker would have be 'out dated' and useless? Would there be any way they could trace you to your newly assigned IP address? 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#47 malwaredpc

malwaredpc

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:27 AM

Posted 23 July 2017 - 05:20 PM

If a potential Hacker got your IP address at lets say 1200 in the afternoon. You unplugged the router and detached all cables, at 1202, then logged on again, (thus the dynamic IP changing to new address), would the IP that the hacker would have be 'out dated' and useless? Would there be any way they could trace you to your newly assigned IP  address? 

Better power off and power on the router (why is that people unplug the cables of the router?).

The answer may be long and this is not the topic, so briefly:

No, it won't be useless because an IP spoofing is to fake an IP header. However, the responses to that IP will stop happening because its status is unassigned. But the responses werern't happening to the faker to begin with so...

Yes, depending on how the hacking was performed. I don't think two minutes are enough for that.

#48 Crazy Cat

Crazy Cat

• Members
  • 808 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:27 AM

Posted 23 July 2017 - 08:21 PM

If a potential Hacker got your IP address at lets say 1200 in the afternoon. You unplugged the router and detached all cables, at 1202, then logged on again, (thus the dynamic IP changing to new address), would the IP that the hacker would have be 'out dated' and useless? Would there be any way they could trace you to your newly assigned IP address?

In 2 minutes, a port scan on your router CAN FIND a port signature.

Example. Lets assume your Dynamic External IP is 92.40.248.38 (http://whatismyipaddress.com/ip/92.40.248.38); THEN a port scan on your router may find port 443 open, port 53 closed, and ping 92.40.248.38 gives a rely.

Now, if I do my ISP research and determine the ISP's dynamic IP block, I can narrow the port scan to find port 443 open, port 53 closed, ON that dynamic IP block.

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. ― Albert Einstein ― Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.

InternetDefenseLeague-footer-badge.png

#49 JimmyRiddle

JimmyRiddle

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2017 - 03:09 AM

Sorry at the risk of sounding stupid, are the ports in relation to the Computer or the Router? 

So if the potential hacker got the IP - but didn't do any thing in between the time of you powering down and re-asssigning IP's - would they still be able to achieve some sort of attack / contact?

The 2 mins was just hypothetical and unknowable, so instead lets assume they didn't act in that timeframe. Would you still be in potential danger given they have an 'old IP'?

Edited by JimmyRiddle, 24 July 2017 - 03:17 AM.

#50 Crazy Cat

Crazy Cat

• Members
  • 808 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2017 - 06:43 PM

(1) Sorry at the risk of sounding stupid, are the ports in relation to the Computer or the Router?

(2) So if the potential hacker got the IP - but didn't do any thing in between the time of you powering down and re-asssigning IP's - would they still be able to achieve some sort of attack / contact?

(3) The 2 mins was just hypothetical and unknowable, so instead lets assume they didn't act in that timeframe. Would you still be in potential danger given they have an 'old IP'?

(1) Router port scan. Open ports, closes ports but not stealth, stealth ports, and ping replies.

(2) No possible future attack if there was NO PORT SCAN to get a router port signature, or ALL STEALTH PORTS.

(3) Same as 2.

How to Test Your Router Firewall. https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-test-your-firewall-2487969

Perform all scans at: ShieldsUP! https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2 and at HackerWatch: http://www.hackerwatch.org/probe/

Edited by Crazy Cat, 24 July 2017 - 06:45 PM.

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. ― Albert Einstein ― Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.

#51 JimmyRiddle

JimmyRiddle

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2017 - 06:13 AM

Thanks CrazyCat. 

Sorry again, i'm not too up to scratch with the terms. My Mac is on Stealth mode, Firewall enabled and set to block all incoming requests. Is that what you mean by stealth? 

#52 Crazy Cat

Crazy Cat

• Members
  • 808 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2017 - 08:05 PM

Thanks CrazyCat. 

Sorry again, i'm not too up to scratch with the terms My Mac is on Stealth mode, Firewall enabled and set to block all incoming requests. Is that what you mean by stealth?

Having your MAC computer operating system firewall enabled is good security practice, however, I'm talking about the router that connects your MAC computer to the Internet through the Internet Service Provider (ISP).

Are you connected to the Internet through: MAC computer > Router > Internet Service Provider (ISP), OR, are you connected to the Internet through: MAC computer > Mobile phone > Internet

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users