Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Magically, Disappearing Video Info, During Editing.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 TroyTurton

TroyTurton

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:04 AM

Posted 12 July 2017 - 04:08 PM

I had the strangest thing happen to me last night, while I was making clips from a 5 minute video I had recorded. I'm not a pro. by any means. But I have played around with video editing for many years. And I can safely say I never had happen to me, what happened last night. But any way, here goes. I had recorded a short video, earlier in the day. Of a short thunder storm we had ( I am also a weather enthusiast, especially severe weather, tornado's and such ) But any way, right before I started to split this video. A little bubble popped up, telling me I had an update ready to download and install. So I told it to wait 10 minutes & I would take care of it. I then proceeded to split the first clip from the video. With no problems as always. The splitting program I always use, isn't always the most accurate, so I watched the clip & was satisfied with that portion. So I then proceeded to start the 2nd split, when that update bubble came up again. So I told it to wait again.

Then I noticed the video splitter hadn't split the video yet. Weird, I thought. I wouldn't think that update bubble would interfere with the program. Or could. So I went to reset the times I wanted the splitter to split & tired again. Nothing. Then an error code popped up, saying something to the effect of cant find the source. I was like HUH? So I shut off the program, looked in the folder the video was in. And there sat the clip I had already spliced. Looking just like a video file should look ( meaning it was a thumbnail, as in seeing what the clip was. ) But the full file was now just the blank icon for WMV? I was like, what the heck is this? So I clicked on the file to play it and nothing. It was then I looked down at the stats for the video. And although it showed it was a 67MB file? It also showed zero time/length. It was like even though the file was still there? It actually wasn't there. I've had that happen with pix I have saved from like over 10+ years ago. But have NEVER seen anything like this happen to a video. That worked fine 10 minutes ago. My question is, anyone else ever have this or something similar to this happen before? And what could possibly have gone wrong here? And is there any way to recover this file?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,742 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:04 PM

Posted 12 July 2017 - 05:07 PM

What software were you using?

Louis

#3 TroyTurton

TroyTurton
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2017 - 05:44 PM

What software were you using?

Louis

Hi Hamluis,

the splitter or what webcam?

#4 TroyTurton

TroyTurton
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2017 - 06:54 PM

The webcam is a windows Life cam & the splitter is Boilsoft

#5 TroyTurton

TroyTurton
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2017 - 09:40 PM

I found an older program, ASFBinWin, that was able to recover the file. I had to search around a while & found someone else that had a similar problem. Only with an MP3 file. So I searched for a WMV file repair & after a few clicks, found the program. It isn't 100% as good as the original file quality. But good enough :)  So thanks for replying in my post!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users