Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Connection Dropouts

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 daplat

daplat

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:32 PM

Posted 12 September 2006 - 01:11 PM

my net connection drops out about every 10 minutes. sometimes it will go longer, sometimes shorter.
this particular computer has cable and xp-sp2 with no router. my primary browser is mozilla but ive checked with IE and it has the same problem as well.
ive checked tcp/ip settings and they are fine. uninstalled/reinstalled drivers for my onboard ethernet adaptor.
thought it might be a hardware issue so i uninstalled my onboard adapter and installed a pci ethernet card.
connection was solid for 25 minutes and then i lost all connectivity. i disabled/enabled connection and tried to repair as well. it didnt work.

ive called my isp and they said that my modem activity has been normal. ive reset the modem countless times and the cat5 cable is basicly brand new so im sure its not that.

i reinstalled onboard ethernet adaptor so i can connect again but the problem still remains. when it drops out, i can open network connections and click repair or disable/enable and i will get connection for a short amount of time.
when i choose "repair connection" i get error message "windows cannot repair the problem because following action cannot be be completed -clearing the dns cache"
ive run command ipconfig-flushdns, and im still getting dropped.

virus/malware/spyware scans come up clean.
can somebody please help me before i have a stroke?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:32 PM

Posted 13 September 2006 - 06:13 PM

What type of connection do you have? Is it DSL or Cable or?

Da Animal

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 daplat

daplat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2006 - 12:28 PM

cable. but ive already fixed it. thanks anyways

#4 skittles

skittles

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2006 - 10:06 AM

Help!

I'm having the same problem. Our cable internet cuts out randomly, and it's gotten worse over the past week. We've tried calling Cox, but they say that everything is fine and it's our problem. Our network is running fine, (3 computers) but not the internet. Sometimes it will reconnect if we unplug the modem. We've tried switching out the modem and the router, (we have friends that have the same router and modem and live a mile away, and they have no problems) and nothing changed.

-Skittles

Edited by skittles, 29 September 2006 - 10:10 AM.

#5 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:32 PM

Posted 29 September 2006 - 10:19 AM

Do you have all services from cox? (CATV, Phone and Inet) This sounds like a grounding problem, dirty or old cable connectors or a bad trap(filter to block services that you dont get.

clean all your connections from your input point on the outside wall, including the cable ground connection, if this does not work, make sure ALL your cables are RG6.
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#6 kev25v6

kev25v6

• Members
  • 227 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:32 AM

Posted 29 September 2006 - 10:38 AM

Try a new filter, it helped sort out my internet connection problems.

#7 skittles

skittles

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2006 - 12:03 PM

I'll try that.

I forgot to mention that since the cables running throught the building were, old, and the property owner was to cheap to update them, we did pay to have a new cable run directly from the box to the apartment.
It has improved some since then (months ago) but it's gotten worse.

As far as other services, we did have the phone through the same company (the phone did work even though the internet didn't), but we switched to VOIP (because of the cost). but considering other resources since our internet isn't reliable. (terrible to have a business call dropped)

As far as cable TV, we use a cable splitter before it enters the modem, and it works no matter what. We have tried taking that out, and that doesn't affect it.

Thx :thumbsup:

Edited by skittles, 29 September 2006 - 12:04 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users