Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My laptop auto shuts down after cleaning it.

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Raigon00

Raigon00

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:58 AM

Posted 12 July 2017 - 06:42 AM

Hello!

So, after cleaning (removing dust and replacing thermal paste) my laptop (Packard Bell EasyNote TJ65). I open it up, then after a few minutes it turns off. I don't quite remember if there's a silicone thermal pad on one of those shiny rectangular boxes. What could be the reason of this? I desperately need some help. :(

http://imgur.com/a/l9FpW

Edited by Raigon00, 12 July 2017 - 06:43 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,486 posts
  •  
  • Location:Psychiatric Ward @ Beelitz-Heilstatten Hospital, Beelitz, Germany
  • Local time:12:58 AM

Posted 12 July 2017 - 06:50 AM

not sure what you did, but its probably turning off because its overheating,

maybe too much thermal paste?.....more is not better, its actually worse

#3 Raigon00

Raigon00
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2017 - 06:52 AM

not sure what you did, but its probably turning off because its overheating,

maybe too much thermal paste?.....more is not better, its actually worse

Hello sir, first of all thank you for putting an effort replying to my thread.

To answer your question, I don't think so, I put a small dot of thermal paste on it. :(

I followed this instruction () carefully. If you watch at 8:29 he didn't put thermal paste on all of those three shiny squares. I am thinking maybe that's the problem, coz I put thermal paste on those 3 shiny squares. :(

Edited by Raigon00, 12 July 2017 - 07:09 AM.

#4 malwaredpc

malwaredpc

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:58 AM

Posted 12 July 2017 - 07:38 AM

Have you  cleaned the old paste before applying? If it is not the thermal paste then it is the fan. Look in the BIOS the temperatures and rpm. You can let it in BIOS for a while and wait to see if it turns off or not.

Does it turns off? OR

it reboots? OR

It looks like it turns off but you can listen to the hardware been powered on and or the leds?

#5 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,486 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2017 - 08:05 AM

I followed this instruction () carefully. If you watch at 8:29 he didn't put thermal paste on all of those three shiny squares. I am thinking maybe that's the problem, coz I put thermal paste on those 3 shiny squares. :(

is your fan running properly?

did you clean your old thermal paste off properly using alcohol wipes?

even the amount of thermal paste that guy is applying seems like way too much to me

Edited by hamluis, 15 July 2017 - 07:51 PM.

#6 Raigon00

Raigon00
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2017 - 08:25 AM

Have you  cleaned the old paste before applying? If it is not the thermal paste then it is the fan. Look in the BIOS the temperatures and rpm. You can let it in BIOS for a while and wait to see if it turns off or not.

Does it turns off? OR

it reboots? OR

It looks like it turns off but you can listen to the hardware been powered on and or the leds?

@mikey11

Yes, sir I cleaned the old paste with alcohol and tissue first before applying a new one. I spread it with the spreader that came with the thermal paste, sir.

I looked into the BIOS and, unfortunately I don't think there's an option where I can see the temperatures and RPM. I did wait on BIOS and, sadly it still turned off itself. I tried listening to the vent, hoping to hear the fan. But, I can't decide yet there's a little sound, but I can't feel any hot air on it.

I did make sure that I don't have any loose cable connections, I reseated everything thrice in a row, it doesn't shut down immediately, in fact it can remain alive until I put my password on the login box, and enter it, after that it completely shuts off.

I almost forgot, that whenever it shuts down there's a clicky-sound that came with it.

Thank you for your effort sir.

Edited by hamluis, 15 July 2017 - 07:53 PM.

#7 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,486 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2017 - 10:34 AM

don't spread the thermal paste, just put a tiny drop in the middle, it will spread itself,

take it apart and redo thermal paste, clean it all off and re apply,

while its apart make sure your fan is plugged in properly

#8 Raigon00

Raigon00
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2017 - 11:44 AM

New info.

So, I turned on the laptop while it's partially disassemble. I observed the fan, it's working, but it's going on and off. Is this a good sign that my problem is not major?

Okay, sir. Should I do it on all of those 3 shiny squares?

Edited by hamluis, 15 July 2017 - 07:48 PM.

#9 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,486 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2017 - 11:49 AM

put it anywhere it was previous, which should be all 3,

only put a tiny dab, i have seen too much paste cause this issue in my past,

put about half the size of one grain of rice right in the middle...more is not better, its worse

Edited by hamluis, 15 July 2017 - 07:48 PM.

#10 Raigon00

Raigon00
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2017 - 01:36 PM

Okay another new discovery, the fan only stops once, and continues to spin until I shut it myself.

Is it normal for the motherboard to get hot easily? I've done what you've said, sir. @mikey11

#11 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,486 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2017 - 01:39 PM

without proper cooling a computer can overheat and shut down in a matter of seconds, even from a cold start in the morning,

your fan should be going all the time, but the speed of the fan will increase as the temp rises

Edited by hamluis, 15 July 2017 - 07:47 PM.

#12 Raigon00

Raigon00
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2017 - 01:52 PM

Ok sir, good news. My laptop is on, not shutting down (for now I guess). I will continue observing it, I hope it doesn't shut down anymore. :)

When I touched the motherboard it's hot but not very hot to the point of passing the barrier of comfort. I check the temp via terminal it's 40+ at most for now.

Edited by hamluis, 15 July 2017 - 07:46 PM.

#13 Raigon00

Raigon00
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2017 - 02:24 PM

Okay, the problem is back when I assemble everything back. It only stays long when like half of the laptop is disassembled. :(

Now, I accidentally destroyed this thing, it's the cable that allow laptop to power. :(

Is there a way to reconnect this?

http://imgur.com/a/XJY6t

Edited by hamluis, 15 July 2017 - 07:46 PM.
Merged posts - Hamluis.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users