Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is there any legitimate reason for my AP's MAC address to change?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 spyral

spyral

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:16 PM

Posted 12 July 2017 - 06:42 AM

Because it just did yesterday. The OUI isn't even the same, it used to be 00:8A:AE but now it's 34:8A:AE. The admin page says there was a software update yesterday, but I don't see why it would have changed the MAC. I know clients often spoof the MAC but why would the AP need to?

The router is a BT Home Hub 5

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:16 AM

Posted 12 July 2017 - 12:40 PM

Make sure you are viewing the right interface. Most routers have multiple interfaces and as such have multiple mac addresses

#3 spyral

spyral
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2017 - 04:49 PM

Thanks for the reply. The router does have a 5ghz & 2.4ghz interface, but the MAC addresses are almost identical, only the last bit is different. There is currently no interface broadcasting the old MAC. I only noticed because my PC is configured to connect based on the MAC not the SSID. It took me a while to figure out why I had suddenly lost internet and couldn't reconnect, whereas my phone had reconnected automatically.

#4 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:16 AM

Posted 12 July 2017 - 11:11 PM

"I only noticed because my PC is configured to connect based on the MAC not the SSID."

You are confusing host access via mac address which is affected by mac filtering in the router. That is your host device. You can not via Ethernet or wifi connect to a mac address. That happens but is way down the minutia list.

From what I can tell you don't have anything to worry about.

#5 spyral

spyral
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2017 - 02:14 AM

Replace MAC with BSSID in what I said. I had assumed that the BSSID was equal to the MAC, but correct me if I'm wrong.

I can, via wifi, connect to a network using it's BSSID (I was using the AP= option in netctl).

This is nothing to do with MAC filtering.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users