Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Copy And Paste In Firefox?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 kev25v6

kev25v6

• Members
  • 227 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 PM

Posted 12 September 2006 - 12:04 PM

How do i copy and paste in fire fox? If i right click on this page and copy thie writing then go to antother site and try to paste on to another page it blanks out the option to paste, it just has copy url etc. I can do it fine on IE but not on firefox, it can be a pain having to change browser just to copy and paste text.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,312 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:28 AM

Posted 12 September 2006 - 12:32 PM

http://neosmart.net/blog/archives/141

It turns out there are two different 'bugs' in Firefox;

* The first (and real) bug is that Firefox would *randomly* stop copying, and restarting the program would temporarily help. This bug occurs on all Operating Systems and in all Mozilla products.
* The second issue is not a bug, rather it is caused by malware on your machine, only affects Windows computers, and results in a complete and indiscriminating inablity to copy in Firefox. This is not a Firefox bug, but a symptom of an infected PC.

The first is the difficult one, but it has been fixed, thanks to your relentless barrage of emails to NeoSmart Technologies and me, your diggs on Digg.com, your blog posts, Bugtrac replies, and obsession with getting it fixed. It is now available in Firefox 1.5.0.4, which is due to be released any day now. You can download it in pre-release form from one of the links below.

* Windows
* Macintosh
* Linux

The second issue regarding the malware is a bit harder to handle. Thanks to Richard Warrender, we have identified the malware as being the "advertmen" spyware infiltration. Removing it is not all that difficult, the problem lies in that this isn't one of the more popular infiltrations; and fewer antispyware programs pick it up:

Warning: These steps involve modifying the system registry. Neither NeoSmart Technololgies nor the Computer Guru can be held liable for any damage incurred!!

1. Important! Close all Firefox, Opera and Internet Explorer windows.
2. Run "regedit.exe"
3. Browse to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows
4. On the right-hand side you should see a String called “AppInit_DLLs” with a value of “pushow*.dll” where * is a random number.
5. Right-click on this String and click Delete and then exit regedit.
6. Open "C:\windows\system32\"
7. In that folder there is a file called "pushow*.dll," where * is the random number you saw above. Delete all pushow*.dll files.

You're done! Don't go to any of the evil sites, and please don't do download another exe of unknown origin! Remember, prevention is the best cure!

Edited by buddy215, 12 September 2006 - 12:35 PM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 kev25v6

kev25v6
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 227 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2006 - 12:49 PM

Ill try the above when i get back to my computer thanks. Where do i find the NO:6 on the above list? Ive never been able to copy and paste on firefox from the first time i started using it.

Edited by kev25v6, 16 September 2006 - 12:50 PM.

#4 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,010 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:28 PM

Posted 21 September 2006 - 04:47 PM

I have read your first post, and I'm rather confused.

If i right click on this page and copy thie writing then go to antother site and try to paste on to another page it blanks out the option to paste, it just has copy url etc.

I interpret this to mean that you are trying to copy content from one website to another. Huh? I didn't think this was possible in any web-browser unless you were creating your own site or copying into an e-mail composition in a web-mail program.

Or are you trying to paste into a different application? If so, which one or ones or are you trying to copy into an e-mail composition in web-mail?

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#5 kev25v6

kev25v6
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 227 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2006 - 01:18 PM

I have read your first post, and I'm rather confused.

If i right click on this page and copy thie writing then go to antother site and try to paste on to another page it blanks out the option to paste, it just has copy url etc.

I interpret this to mean that you are trying to copy content from one website to another. Huh? I didn't think this was possible in any web-browser unless you were creating your own site or copying into an e-mail composition in a web-mail program.

Or are you trying to paste into a different application? If so, which one or ones or are you trying to copy into an e-mail composition in web-mail?

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:

What i mean is if i have a message that ive written on one forum but want to put it onto another forum, instead of writing it out twice i want to copy and paste the taxt from one forum to another but i could not do this in firefox only in IE. I could not even copy a hijackthis log file from note pad to this forum via firefox i had to use IE. Ive now done the above what buddy215 said to do and i can now copy and paste in firefox, thanks. I deleted the file in regedit.exe but there was no filr to delete in windows32.

#6 kev25v6

kev25v6
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 227 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2006 - 03:59 PM

I cant copy and paste again for some reason in firefox. Ive checked the regedit.exe for the file to delete but its not there and nothing is still in system32. Ive installed the latest firefox update and restarted my computer but it still does not help. Any more suggestions on what to try next? Thanks.

#7 kev25v6

kev25v6
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 227 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2006 - 04:10 PM

This link seems to have sorted it. If any one else has the same problem. :

http://www.mozilla.org/

Its only a pre release version but its sorted my problem out. You cant use add ons or extensions that you already have downloaded though because they are not compatable. Its the top left link on the page.

Edited by kev25v6, 30 September 2006 - 11:13 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users