Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Uhmmmm....linux Ubuntu Live Run Cd....

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Nickiz22278

Nickiz22278

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:38 AM

Posted 12 September 2006 - 12:01 PM

Hi all

I want to try out linux, so a friend of mine gave me a cd she got fom the tech boys at her work. Its ubuntu linux. All it says to do is simply place the cd in the pc and reboot and I will get to try linix out with out having to install. so.......why wont it run? when I restart the pc it goes to wierd screen and just sits there. I've tried all the options and not one of them actually makes the cd run like it should. It goes back into windows. So, I guess my question is.... since I dont know much about linux, but what I have heard is that its virus free and way better than windows, how do I get linux? Also...will I be able to run all the things i have on windows on linux? messengers, power point, word processing, etc?

Nicki

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:38 AM

Posted 12 September 2006 - 01:42 PM

Could you describe the "wierd screen"?
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 Nickiz22278

Nickiz22278
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2006 - 07:47 PM

sure, no problem, this is the "wierd" screen, well my rendition of the screen.

Ubunta

Start or install unbunta
Start Unbunta in safe graphics mode
Check CD for defects
Memory test
Boot from first hard disk

F1 help F2language F3keymap F4VGA F5accessibility F6other options

#4 cybormoron

cybormoron

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:38 AM

Posted 13 September 2006 - 07:44 PM

that's your boot screen. it wants you to select an option and then you hit the enter key. or you could hit the f1 key for help. use the arrow keys to highlight the "start or install ubuntu" then hit the enter key. ubuntu should start booting up and run from the live cd. the option to install will be found after the live cd is running. stay away from the other options for now.
I can no longer sit back and allow Microsoft infiltration, Microsoft indoctrination, Microsoft subversion, and the international Microsoft conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious open source GNU/Linux operating systems. General Jack D. Ripper.

#5 Nickiz22278

Nickiz22278
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2006 - 06:26 PM

ok, I clicked start or install ubunta, over and over and over and over again and it kept taking me to the boot screen and nothing else. so what am i doing wrong here?

#6 Gyro

Gyro

• Members
  • 289 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2006 - 06:40 PM

Uh it may be best if you install this on a hardrive that doesn't have an os on it already... and make sure it's formatted with an appropriate fat partition... I'm not sure what this version of linux uses.

#7 cybormoron

cybormoron

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:38 AM

Posted 15 September 2006 - 01:27 AM

i'm not sure what you mean by "I clicked start or install ubunta, over and over". are you trying to use your mouse? at this point your mouse will not work. you have to use your keyboard to select an option. use the arrow keys to hightlight an option. either the text changes color or there is a different color background around the option to show that it is highlighted. then you hit the enter key to activate that option.

if you are hitting the enter key and nothing happens then i don't know what to say. i will try my cd tomorrow to see if i can understand what you may be doing wrong.

also, it's spelled ubuntu. pronounced oo-boon-too.
I can no longer sit back and allow Microsoft infiltration, Microsoft indoctrination, Microsoft subversion, and the international Microsoft conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious open source GNU/Linux operating systems. General Jack D. Ripper.

#8 acidburned

acidburned

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2006 - 03:23 PM

just click the start or install button once and give it a chance to start run.if nothing happens in say like 5 min,then there might be a problem with the cd.you could also click on the check the cd and see if there are problems with the cd.it might be slow loading up,but it should without clicking the button like a madman with popups.as cybermoron said use your keboard and arror keys to highlight the selection.

#9 thenoose

thenoose

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:38 AM

Posted 20 September 2006 - 11:35 AM

Also...will I be able to run all the things i have on windows on linux? messengers, power point, word processing, etc?

Messengers? Gaim or aMsn.
Word processing/office suite? Open office.
both are pre installed with ubuntu.
I also recommend getting automatix (www.getautomatix.com) to install all the codecs etc you will need. And also get easyubuntu.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users