Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Security Essentials problem.

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Saska01

Saska01

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:01 AM

Posted 12 July 2017 - 12:44 AM

I currently have 'Malwarebytes' free version & MS Security Essentials (SE) on my pc. I've used them both for several years & they work fine,but recently,SE has been showing the ''Connection failed'' error when trying to up-date it. Yesterday i un-installed SE & installed the latest version. After installation & a pc re-boot,it updated perfectly. This morning it's showing the ''Connection failed'' error message again. Needless to say,nothing's changed since i switched off.

It's telling me that my ''system is protected'',& i know that SE is supposed to up-date automatically,but will it up-date at all with this 'supposed'  connection failure ?

Any '' simple, easy to understand & carry out solutions '' will be very much appreciated. I am 100% 'connected to the I/net of course, so why the error message at all ?.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:01 PM

Posted 12 July 2017 - 12:48 AM

What version of Windows are you using?

That is one of several reasons I stopped using MSE on Windows 7 systems.

Changed to the free version of Avira and haven't looked back.

#3 Saska01

Saska01
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2017 - 01:43 AM

I'm using Windows 7 Home Premium. As i said,i haven't had any problems for years,in fact SE was the very first thing i installed on my PC when i first got it,so it's nothing to do with 'which' version of Windows i'm using.

I did try Avira 'Free' a few weeks ago,but there was something about it that i didn't like - can't remember 'what' of course,but i'm looking to find out what's gone wrong with something that's been fine for years. If my pc was a car,i wouldn't rush out to buy another one simply because the wipers weren't working - however,''if all else fails''.

As usual, any direct help from MS is zero !. They want us to use their products,but effectively,any problems & they've got 10 reverse gears.

#4 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2017 - 01:47 AM

Actually it's not a new issue with MSE...

You might try the free Panda Cloud.

#5 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,128 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:01 AM

Posted 12 July 2017 - 03:19 AM

Hi,

Is Windows updated? Can you install Windows Updates?

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#6 Saska01

Saska01
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2017 - 01:44 AM

From jwoods301 - "Actually it's not a new issue with MSE...". I do realise that. it's been a MSE  problem for a long time,another one that MS hasn't issued a permanent fix for - as usual.

I did an I/net search & found all sorts of  'fixes',some of which were way beyond my 'messing about with computer' skills,but i did find one that was as simple as could be,. I tried it,& immediately afterwards,MSE up-dated perfectly. All i needed to do was ro re-set IE settings to 'default' - it's still working fine.

I'm sure that MS could issue a 'patch' to make MSE non-dependent of IE settings,but they're too busy forcing their new stuff onto folk's PCs ,rather than clearing up the messes that they've already made.

From SleepyDude - "Can you install Windows Updates ?." I haven't installed any Windows up-dates for many months. I still have an ongoing problem with Win.10 trying to download to my PC - despite having GWX Control Panel installed. Anyway,my PC is working just fine without them,despite an underlying isuspicion that i really should have them - however,if Win.10 should ever install on my PC,that would cause me real problems in trying to get rid of it. :nono:

#7 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2017 - 01:51 AM

From jwoods301 - "Actually it's not a new issue with MSE...". I do realise that. it's been a MSE  problem for a long time,another one that MS hasn't issued a permanent fix for - as usual.

I did an I/net search & found all sorts of  'fixes',some of which were way beyond my 'messing about with computer' skills,but i did find one that was as simple as could be,. I tried it,& immediately afterwards,MSE up-dated perfectly. All i needed to do was ro re-set IE settings to 'default' - it's still working fine.

I'm sure that MS could issue a 'patch' to make MSE non-dependent of IE settings,but they're too busy forcing their new stuff onto folk's PCs ,rather than clearing up the messes that they've already made.

From SleepyDude - "Can you install Windows Updates ?." I haven't installed any Windows up-dates for many months. I still have an ongoing problem with Win.10 trying to download to my PC - despite having GWX Control Panel installed. Anyway,my PC is working just fine without them,despite an underlying isuspicion that i really should have them - however,if Win.10 should ever install on my PC,that would cause me real problems in trying to get rid of it. :nono:

Whenever a security program acts in that manner, it gets the boot from my system. Reliability is critical for me.

Some may not want to reset IE settings to the default, because it may break something they have set up.

There are simply better choices available than MSE.

The Get Windows Ten promotion (GWX) has been over for a long time now, so there is no advantage to running GWX Control Panel. Windows 10 is no longer free, so it will not download to your system.

You can use the Media Creation Tool and Rufus to create bootable installation media, which is helpful to have if you ever need to do a refresh, or in-place upgrade to fix a Windows 10 issue.

See this tutorial -

https://www.thurrott.com/windows/windows-10/5162/windows-10-tip-create-windows-10-setup-media-the-right-way

If you do not already have a Windows 10 product key, you may not be able to install it (although some have reported that it recently worked for them).

I would strongly recommend getting all your Windows Updates current, especially security updates.

Windows 7 was the leading platform infected by the recent WannaCry ransomware outbreak. The patch that fixed the SMBv1 flaw that WannaCry exploited was released two months before the outbreak. The patch didn't fail...people didn't install it.

Doing frequent disk image backups and daily backups of volatile (personal) data is critical for any version of Windows, and is often the only way to recover from a ransomware attack.

Edited by jwoods301, 14 July 2017 - 02:08 AM.

#8 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,128 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2017 - 03:21 AM

That is most likely the problem if you don't have Windows Update enable or is not working then you don't get MSE updates.

To get rid of Windows 10 offer run the following Microsoft Update https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/3184143/remove-software-related-to-the-windows-10-free-upgrade-offer

in some cases its necessary to also use GWX Control Panel

I suppose if you try to update MSE manually by typing it doesn't work also:

“C:\Program Files\Microsoft Security Essentials\MpCmdRun.exe” -SignatureUpdate

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.

___
Rui

#9 Saska01

Saska01
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2017 - 03:28 AM

Sleepy Dude -  I don't apply Windows updates, but MSE still updates & always has done !!. That wasn't the problem. Re-setting IE to 'default' solved it. I have to admit that what you say makes perfect sense,but it wasn't the cause of MSE not up-dating.

From jwoods301 - "..Windows 10 is no longer free, so it will not download to your system " .That's exactly what i think - BUT !!. This morning i got notification of 4 new Win.updates. They were for ''Microsoft Office'' - so ok,i'll download / install them - as soon as the download began,there it was yet again for the X number of times,''Windows 10 downloading''. Is this really Win.10 or is it something else ?. Why would a  MS Office up-date download  masquerade as a Win.10 download ??. I for one will not let it run - just in case ?.

MS have got up to some pretty dirty tricks in the past & i don't trust them not to still force Win.10 onto PCs if they can. I have nothing relating to Win.10 on my PC. I manually stripped the registry of any sign of it last year. A reg.search for Win.10 now turns up nothing. I wouldn't put it past MS to have one of the KB up-dates re-activate a Win.10 download. I did a web search some months back & found several of these KB up-dates that were associated with the Win.10 download,did a search for them in my own up-date log & deleted the 2 that i found, & it still goes on ??.

#10 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,128 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2017 - 05:31 AM

Sleepy Dude -  I don't apply Windows updates, but MSE still updates & always has done !!. That wasn't the problem. Re-setting IE to 'default' solved it. I have to admit that what you say makes perfect sense,but it wasn't the cause of MSE not up-dating.

Good.

From jwoods301 - "..Windows 10 is no longer free, so it will not download to your system " .That's exactly what i think - BUT !!. This morning i got notification of 4 new Win.updates. They were for ''Microsoft Office'' - so ok,i'll download / install them - as soon as the download began,there it was yet again for the X number of times,''Windows 10 downloading''. Is this really Win.10 or is it something else ?. Why would a  MS Office up-date download  masquerade as a Win.10 download ??. I for one will not let it run - just in case ?.

MS have got up to some pretty dirty tricks in the past & i don't trust them not to still force Win.10 onto PCs if they can. I have nothing relating to Win.10 on my PC. I manually stripped the registry of any sign of it last year. A reg.search for Win.10 now turns up nothing. I wouldn't put it past MS to have one of the KB up-dates re-activate a Win.10 download. I did a web search some months back & found several of these KB up-dates that were associated with the Win.10 download,did a search for them in my own up-date log & deleted the 2 that i found, & it still goes on ??.

Most likely your system started to download the Windows 10 upgrade long time ago try the links I post above.

I'm not sure the update and tool on the link will help when Windows is already downloading windows 10, eventually you have to do a full reset to Windows Update and remove the hidden folders c:\$Windows ~BT and and $Windows.~WS.

___
Rui

#11 Saska01

Saska01
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2017 - 04:59 AM

Hi SleepyDude - Sorry to have taken so long in replying.  My PC did indeed try to install Win.10, as i'd originally opted for the free download. After reading a bunch of very negative responses to Win.10,especially the 'compulsary up-dates,i decided not to install it. However Win.updater  began the installation automatically when i tried run my usual updates. I killed it !. After that the problems began. I found & un-installed all the KB apps.relating to Win.10 & i removed any refs. to Win.10 from my registry, & still the problem persists - how that can happen,i don't know.

To do a full re-set of Win.Updater - i wouldn't know where to start - but i know a man who does - the friend of mine who built my pc for me. I'd maybe have asked him by now,but as he's a family man with 2 young children,i try not to bother him too much these days. I might do a search on such a re-set,but i also might ask my friend for some advice before i do anything.

Many thanks indeed for your input - it's much appreciated :thumbup2:

#12 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,128 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2017 - 09:14 AM

Hi,

So the Microsoft update and the GWX Control Panel tool didn't help?

To reset Windows Update use the scripts provided on this guide: https://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/91738-windows-update-reset.html

Note: After the reset Windows will show an empty list of installed updates, this doesn't affect Windows in any other way.

___
Rui

#13 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,327 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:01 AM

Posted 30 July 2017 - 10:10 AM

This is the problem with trying to second guess Microsoft or any OS developer as far as applying updates.   I was enraged for the brief period of the Windows 10 free upgrade transition where, for about two weeks, using the standard "close window X" on the update dialog was taken as an implicit "Yes" rather than a "No," but other than that, even with the nagging, it was easy to keep declining the free upgrade.

Windows 7 systems that have been allowed to apply updates as they should long ago had GWX removed as part of the update process.  The free upgrade period ended a year ago and the update that removed GWX was pushed immediately thereafter.

When it comes to Windows Updates (or the updates to any OS, regardless of who maintains it) one of our own BSOD Kernel Dump Experts, usasma, has said all that need be said:

There really isn't a point to checking for updates and not installing them. . .  It's important to install all available updates. I've been doing this since the days of DOS, and I still don't have the confidence to pick and choose among updates.  There are just too many variables involved - and most people can't evaluate the full consequences of installing/not installing updates.

~ John Carrona, AKA usasma on BleepingComputer.com, http://www.carrona.org/

The only way GWX is remaining active on any Windows 7 machine is either that Windows Update is not working correctly or someone's trying to pick and choose updates that are applied, and skipped right over the one that removed GWX last year.

Microsoft has begun to apply the same update philosophy to Windows 7 and Windows 8 that it has for Windows 10 and Windows Update is being changed (or maybe has been changed) such that the end user will no longer be able to pick and choose updates to be applied.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Presenting the willfully ignorant with facts is the very definition of casting pearls before swine.

~ Brian Vogel

#14 Saska01

Saska01
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2017 - 02:54 AM

My personal needs re. anything that MS sees fit to 'update' are very simple - something either works or it doesn't. Despite not having updated anything since Win.10 struck,my PC works just fine for me. I use MS Word / Excel 2007 . MS Powerpoint is also available but i don't need it. My main concerns are 'security' & as MSSE is working ok along with Malwarebytes,since i re-set IE ,i'm ok.

From britechguy - "...and skipped right over the one that removed GWX last year..". I wonder why MS wished to remove GWX ??. Was it blocking more attempts to get Win.10 onto our PC's by the back door ?.  - "..such that the end user will no longer be able to pick and choose updates to be applied."  I can think of no better reason NOT to allow MS updates if that's the situation. If MS decided to download Spyware onto your PCs - you couldn't stop it.  What with Google tracking almost everything that you look at,it seems that

''1984'' has simply been delayed !.

#15 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,327 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:01 AM

Posted 04 August 2017 - 11:32 AM

Saska01,

If you do not allow the maker of your OS, regardless of whether it's Windows 10 or other, to apply the patches they deem necessary to the OS then you are making your own bed of nails and will have to lie on it.

GWX (Get Windows Ten [X]) was removed when the free offer period expired.  Your own actions prevented that from happening, not Microsoft's.  It would have disappeared from your Windows 7 within a week of the free offer having ended.

If you wish to believe what you've posted regarding Microsoft and Windows 10 then I would strongly suggest you consider getting another OS, because you will make an absolute mess of Windows (regardless of version) if updates are not allowed to be applied.

There really isn't a point to checking for updates and not installing them. . .  It's important to install all available updates. I've been doing this since the days of DOS, and I still don't have the confidence to pick and choose among updates.  There are just too many variables involved - and most people can't evaluate the full consequences of installing/not installing updates.

~ John Carrona, AKA usasma on BleepingComputer.com, http://www.carrona.org/ 

Edited by britechguy, 04 August 2017 - 11:35 AM.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Presenting the willfully ignorant with facts is the very definition of casting pearls before swine.

~ Brian Vogel

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users