Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Lift Off!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 softeyes

softeyes

• Members
  • 1,555 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:54 PM

Posted 12 July 2017 - 12:24 AM

Thank you to NickAu, Condobloke (and a few other friends) for encouraging me to try Linux! I am using an old Toshiba laptop that just will not stop working (originally had Vista, I updated to Win7).

Here is my desktop for a start (nothing fancy!)

softeyeslinuxmintcinnamondesktop.png

At this initial point, I am so impressed with the most amazing individuals who have provided free methods to get this operating system to install on a USB drive along with clear instructions to get it to work with persistence and lots of other treasures! Talk about brilliant and giving people! I'm blown away that I didn't need to download/install any drivers, it was a breeze to connect to my WiFi.. Just wow.

I appreciate the support, I'll be back.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,100 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:54 AM

Posted 12 July 2017 - 12:31 AM

Told you it wasn't hard.

Have you enabled your firewall? If no open terminal and type

sudo ufw enable

This will start your firewall and create a script that starts it every time you boot Mint.

PS

Lisa play around with it a bit but also try other distros,

Mike and Al, seeing as Lisa has managed to do all this on her own I think its time for her to try Puppy on USB. If you think Linux Mint is impressive wait till you try Puppy linux, its like getting out of a 60's Ford and stepping into a Ferrari.

Edited by NickAu, 12 July 2017 - 02:37 AM.
Add PS and thing about firewall

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

The BleepingComputer Official Discord Chat Server!

#3 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,271 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:54 PM

Posted 12 July 2017 - 04:10 AM

Lisa play around with it a bit but also try other distros,

Mike and Al, seeing as Lisa has managed to do all this on her own I think its time for her to try Puppy on USB. If you think Linux Mint is impressive wait till you try Puppy linux, its like getting out of a 60's Ford and stepping into a Ferrari.

I say play around and get used to Linux Mint first and once comfortable and familiar with Linux Mint than start investigating the sport disto Puppy.

I would rather have the 60s Ford than a Ferrari. :thumbup2:

You young folks today can't be anywhere quick enough.

@softeyes old computers are reliable and work.

Just some thoughts from the Toolman :wink:

I'm grumpy because I can be not because I'm old.

The world is what you make of it, if it doesn't fit, you make alterations.

Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.  (Mark Twain)

#4 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,316 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:54 PM

Posted 12 July 2017 - 10:04 AM

Hi, softeyes.

Yes, I agree with Nick; Puppy will make Mint seem like some slow old plodder by comparison (and Mint's not slow!), but.....as the old saying goes, 'Softly, softly, catchee monkee'.

I also agree with The-Toolman, y'see. Since you're new to Linux, do give yourself time to get the hang of it. Things work a little differently, and not everything is where you might expect to find it. Rome wasn't built in a day, and you probably have years-worth of Windows habits to 'un-learn'.....you want to do this at a pace that you're comfortable with.

You've already overtaken many of the ditherers if you've got this far. Well done. Seriously.

Once you're happy with the way things are done in Linux (and, really, it ain't so different to Whinedoze, when it boils down to it), then - and only then - should you consider trying out other distros. And Puppy is a very good place to start, especially with the way it rejuvenates old hardware, and gives it a new 'lease of life'. I've run Puppy almost exclusively for at least the last 3 years.....I think I might just have one or two pearls of wisdom to dispense..!  :P

Nick's right; you really will be blown away by the speed increase. Take your time. Get comfortable with Linux in general, and Mint in particular first. We'll still be here, whenever you feel ready to explore the greater Linux ecosystem out there.....and will be happy to help you with any queries you may have. You've already demonstrated one important fact in your favour; you're inquisitive enough to want to try something new, and are obviously not exactly happy with the 'status quo'.

To which I say, 'Good for you!' Hang in there, Lisa; it's different, yes.....but not that different.

(Love that avatar, by the way..!)

Mike.  :wink:

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 12 July 2017 - 02:31 PM.

Distros:- Multiple 'Puppies'..... and Anti-X 16.1

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, 3 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Logitech c920 HD Pro webcam, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz 400FSB P4, 1.5 GB RAM, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, M$ HD-3000 'Lifecam'.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users