Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

After computer re-setup, can't connect to internet or install critical drivers.

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 mortious787

mortious787

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:28 AM

Posted 11 July 2017 - 09:48 PM

So, over a year ago I got a custom PC from iBuyPower. Worked great. A few weeks ago the C drive (solid state drive) failed on me. I got it replaced under warranty, recieved it today. After reinstalling the new C drive and loading Windows 7 onto it, I could not get it to work proper. Tried attaching the USB wireless adapter, but would not recognize it or load the drivers. Saw in device manager that most of the hardware's drivers weren't installed because of the new OS (or at least, that's what I think).

Tried hooking it up via ethernet to install/update the drivers for the hardware, but the computer is not recognizing the connection (even though the lights on the port are on saying there's a connection).

So what can I do? I want to get my computer back to working order, the sooner the better. Any and all suggestions would be great.

Attached image shows my computer parts/specs. 

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,478 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2017 - 10:21 PM

You could also Find Drivers for Devices Using a Hardware ID, Post the Top ID in your next post. 

http://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/04/SLN121527/how-to-find-drivers-for-devices-using-a-hardware-id?lang=EN

If you have another computer download Speccy, Copy it to your computer and run it. 

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/323892/publish-a-snapshot-using-speccy/#entry1797792

I did a search and did not see drivers for that device, I suggest waiting for more help as I don't know much about this one.  It seems that it was supposed to be included in the install media, but you said this was a custom rig, and I am not familiar with custom rigs.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/network-and-i-o/ethernet-products/000005518.html

Where did you get the Install Media?

Edited by pcpunk, 11 July 2017 - 10:23 PM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#3 mortious787

mortious787
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2017 - 11:22 PM

Thanks for the suggestion of using Speccy. I'll give that a go and see if that I can help. 

As for where I got the install media, when it came to me from the manufacturer, Windows and all component drivers were pre installed. I'm going to contact them tomorrow to see what they can do about it. I just wanted to see if there was anyone who had an idea beforehand (because their tech support/customer service leaves something to be desired). 

#4 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:28 PM

Posted 11 July 2017 - 11:29 PM

You have what is called an OEM install of Windows.

There should be recovery disks, which installs Windows from scratch.

Windows will install what it thinks are the best drivers, but if you have custom hardware, you may need to visit each vendor site and get the drivers there.

Try going into Device Manager and checking for driver updates for each device that is not working correctly.

I would recommend that you have all Windows Updates installed before going online.

#5 mortious787

mortious787
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2017 - 07:24 AM

You have what is called an OEM install of Windows.

There should be recovery disks, which installs Windows from scratch.

Windows will install what it thinks are the best drivers, but if you have custom hardware, you may need to visit each vendor site and get the drivers there.

Try going into Device Manager and checking for driver updates for each device that is not working correctly.

I would recommend that you have all Windows Updates installed before going online.

That was my initial strategy, but I can't connect to the internet at all because of the internet connectivity issue I described in the initial post. Any ideas/suggestions to get that fixed so I could do the rest?

#6 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,478 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2017 - 09:42 AM

Thanks for the suggestion of using Speccy. I'll give that a go and see if that I can help. 

Speccy will just tell us your pc Specs, and that will help members diagnose problems.  Unfortunately with this one the Dell Link is going to be the best for the info we need...for now at least.

I think this is it here, but let's get the Hardware ID to be sure.  Make sure you choose 64bit.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/18713/Intel-Network-Adapter-Driver-for-Windows-7-?product=36773

Please find the "Hardware ID" using the first Link Provided above, the Dell one.  If it is not clear post back.  It seems very clear to me and we need to be sure of the Driver.  I see the device in your screenshot but my knowledge is not good enough to go on that alone.  Here is an example of my Ethernet Hardware ID

PCI\VEN_10EC&DEV_8168&SUBSYS_05741028&REV_07

Recovery Disk came from iBuyPower correct?  And if so what is it labeled as?  I would definitely call them to get the driver, or the Driver link.  This is where Speccy is of help also.  If you email them, you can Copy Paste any Ethernet info from Speccy .txt. or the Speccy Link.

I would have thought the microsoft driver would install with no problem.  Did you have the Ethernet connected while doing the Install.?  I don't know if this would have helped but is how I do it with windows 7.

Edited by pcpunk, 12 July 2017 - 09:42 AM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#7 mortious787

mortious787
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2017 - 07:59 PM

Alright thank you. I'll give that a go whenever I get time to work on my computer (working two jobs is a hassle). I should have a post with all that info Friday at the latest. I'll try that network driver you linked first though. If it doesn't, I'll give you the Dell LInk/Speccy results and whatever iBuyPower support says with my next post 

And I just want to say thank you to everyone for helping me with this. It is very much appreciated. 

Edited by hamluis, 13 July 2017 - 10:30 AM.

#8 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2017 - 08:01 PM

That was my initial strategy, but I can't connect to the internet at all because of the internet connectivity issue I described in the initial post. Any ideas/suggestions to get that fixed so I could do the rest?

I would like to see what your network adapters look like.

Make sure the system is connected to the router.

In the Search box, type cmd.exe and double click on the result to start the Command prompt.

At the command line, type ipconfig /all > network.txt and press Enter.

This will create a text file named network.txt in the C:\Users\<Your User Name> folder.

Open the file in Notepad, and copy/paste the text in the thread.

Edited by hamluis, 13 July 2017 - 10:31 AM.

#9 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,478 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2017 - 10:07 PM

For me, the "Hardware ID" from the Dell Link should be enough.  Just Copy Paste it to a Document of some kind, "Notepad" would be a good one.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#10 mortious787

mortious787
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2017 - 06:33 PM

So I return with new information. 

I tried running the ipconfig for the network adapters as suggested, but it kept saying that it could not find the path specified. 

I looked at the hardware ids for the ethernet controller. I got multiple results. I'm attaching the .txt doccument. 

I have the image Speccy created, but the forum wont' allow me to upload it. How do I share it for you all? Upload it to Mega or something and provide a link?

Attached Files

#11 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2017 - 06:40 PM

After running Speccy, select Publish Snapshot and post the link you receive.

#12 mortious787

mortious787
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2017 - 07:03 PM

After running Speccy, select Publish Snapshot and post the link you receive.

Thank you. Here is the Speccy results.

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/0W0bvLaPJ3U2UYAmmXKofXl 

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,632 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2017 - 07:31 PM

I get a page not found on the speccy link.

Edit: Here is your Ethernet Driver

Win7 and Server 2008 R2 Auto Installation Program ( SharedID:1152921504607290971
SId:1152921504626750971)
7.109 2017/6/30 10570k

Edited by JohnC_21, 14 July 2017 - 07:35 PM.

#14 mortious787

mortious787
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2017 - 09:17 PM

So good news and bad news. 

The good news is that the ethernet driver that JohnC_21 linked me to worked! I started to redownload drivers to get things working as they should. 

On a first reboot after updating some of the drivers, it did not recognize my mouse and keyboard as input devices, so I cannot do anything else to get the system working. 

Any suggestions for this new problem? Or am I better off handing it off to a professional at this point?

#15 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2017 - 09:19 PM

Boot in Safe Mode and see if they work.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users