Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop won't sleep, display screensaver, or turn off display

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Sylveon Fetish

Sylveon Fetish

• Members
  • 392 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:24 PM

Posted 11 July 2017 - 09:19 PM

Tried following these instructions: http://helpdeskgeek.com/windows-7/windows-7-will-not-sleep/

I have tried all these things and everything found on all websites Google lists on this problem and yet my Lenovo b570 still will not sleep. Does not even initiate screensaver, display does not turn off, nothing. shutting down/restarting makes no difference. still does not sleep. It is set to sleep after three hours and to turn off display at 30 minutes, it is supposed to dim the display after 15 minutes, but it does not do any of those. No screensaver after 5 minutes, screen does not dim after 15, display does not turn off after 30, and the computer definitely does not sleep after 3 hours

"powercfg lastwake" does not work either. it always says

"C:\Windows\system32>powercfg lastwake
Wake History Count - 0"

so nothing is actually waking it up, it just refuses to sleep, display screensaver, turn off screen, or sleep

and when I type

C:\Windows\system32>powercfg -requests

I get

DISPLAY:
None.

SYSTEM:
None.

AWAYMODE:
None.

C:\Windows\system32>

So there is nothing waking it up, there is no requests preventing the computer from sleeping, yet it still will not sleep even told to after being idle for said amounts of time. and I do not even get a screensaver,

so something in oblivion is keeping the laptop awake that is beyond me and beyond the reportings of CMD.

I am ripping my hairs out on this one

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:24 PM

Posted 11 July 2017 - 09:29 PM

See these troubleshooting steps from Microsoft...

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/976877/windows-7-does-not-go-to-sleep

#3 Sylveon Fetish

Sylveon Fetish
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 392 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2017 - 08:56 AM

That is one of the places I looked, nothing there worked

#4 old rocker

old rocker

• Members
  • 443 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2017 - 11:02 AM

@Sylveon Fetish

Sticking my nose in here to offer a thought...

If installed on your system, is the Lenovo B570 Laptop Lenovo Energy Management Software for Windows overriding the Windows 7 Power Management?

Old Rocker

#5 Sylveon Fetish

Sylveon Fetish
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 392 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2017 - 06:08 PM

It is not installed at all.

This is a retail Windows 7 Ultimate disc install, therefore I do not have any of the "special software" that was with the laptop.

Laptop was given to me, I wiped and installed Windows 7

It is not installed, so it would not be overriding it

#6 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:24 PM

Posted 12 July 2017 - 07:13 PM

I would try downloading and running the free Windows Repair (All In One) tool by Tweaking.com

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/tweaking_com_windows_repair_portable.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users