Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System Freezing at the Top of the Hour

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 JaranPlus

JaranPlus

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:53 PM

Posted 11 July 2017 - 06:57 PM

Hello there!

The last three days I've been having an issue that's progressively getting worse. At the top of each hour, my computer starts to freeze. At first, it would be about 2 minutes, and now it's up to ~10 minutes. Sometimes, the computer completely locks up and it needs to be rebooted. At first, it seemed like my anti-virus software was causing this issue. Removing the anti-virus did reduce the severity of the freezes by a little, but it is starting to get severe again. I've scanned with both Webroot and Housecall, and neither came up with any viruses. I've tried a few other things, such as increasing virtual memory and getting the most recent Windows updates, but nothing has provided a solution yet. During the freezing phase, my disk usage will jump up to 99-100%, even though no process is actively showing more than a few MB/s.

My information from DxDiag is included. If any other information is needed, let me know.

I appreciate any and all help. :)

Attached Files

Edited by JaranPlus, 11 July 2017 - 07:09 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:53 PM

Posted 11 July 2017 - 07:07 PM

My initial thought is a Scheduled Task...

We can start looking by doing the following...

1. Download Nirsoft's TaskSchedulerView - http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/task_scheduler_view.html

2. Unzip the download into a folder where you can easily find it.

3. Right-click on the .exe file and select Run as administrator.

4. In Options on the toolbar, make sure both "Hide tasks..." entries are unchecked.

5. Start looking for Last Run and Next Run times that are coinciding with what you're experiencing. The columns are all sortable.

If your antivirus software does not show in the list, it is downloading/updating using its own functionality.

Check its schedules, as well as any other security software you have running.

A Lavasoft component is having some problems on your system, and may be contributing.

Uninstall it and see if the problem persists.

Edited by jwoods301, 11 July 2017 - 07:21 PM.

#3 JaranPlus

JaranPlus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2017 - 07:30 PM

GoogleUpdateTaskMachineUA is one that looks like it happens every hour, but it has been disabled.

Badge Update ran at 6:06 (~25 minutes before posting this), but it doesn't have a next run time.

RacTask ran at 6:09 (~20 minutes before posting this). Its next run time will be on 7/12 at 6:13.

It appears Windows Defender updated at 3:48 (~3 hours before posting this). It doesn't have a next run time.

#4 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2017 - 07:37 PM

Do you have other security software running other than Windows Defender?

Did you look into the Lavasoft clue?

#5 JaranPlus

JaranPlus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2017 - 08:09 PM

I do not currently have any other security software installed on the computer. Webroot will be going back on when this situation is resolved.

Uninstalling Lavasoft did help with the last freeze--it lasted only about a minute.

For reference, this is what is happening when the freezes happen. Not sure if it might help.

#6 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2017 - 08:16 PM

Another thing you can do is download Sysinternals free program Process Monitor, and let it run for a while. It has nice filtering features that will allow you to narrow down what was running at the time, as well as setting "watch" filters.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896645

Set up Process Monitor and let it run continuously...just before the freeze starts and till just after (a few minutes is fine).

There is a logging feature. Turn it on by clicking on File > Backing Files.... There will be two options: Use virtual memory (which is the default), and Use file named:.

Click on the Browse button (the one with 3 dots) and it will take you to the folder where Process Monitor is installed. Enter a file name. It will automatically be given an extension of .PML. Click Save.

When Process Monitor is restarted, check that File > Capture Events is checked. It will log everything within the filter criteria that has been set up (default filters are fine for now).

Anyone with Process Monitor will be able to use it to open the .PML file and view it as if it were on their system.

Zip the .PML file and attach it to your thread.

Additionally, post the actual times that the freeze occurs.

Edited by jwoods301, 11 July 2017 - 08:20 PM.

#7 JaranPlus

JaranPlus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2017 - 12:05 AM

The Computer Froze from 11:00 to 11:02 PM MST. This log is from approximately 10:55 to 11:03 PM MST.

Thank you for all of your help so far. :)

Edit - The file ended up being too large to upload to the forums. Here's a link to it on my google drive: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0Uwrn6_v3VNSm05UVBLYV9wV0U/view?usp=sharing

Edited by JaranPlus, 12 July 2017 - 12:09 AM.

#8 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2017 - 12:08 AM

Don't see your zipped log attached.

#9 JaranPlus

JaranPlus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2017 - 12:12 AM

Don't see your zipped log attached.

It ended up being too large to attach. I edited in a link to it in my last post. :)

#10 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2017 - 12:12 AM

Got it.

I'll take a look.

Edited by jwoods301, 12 July 2017 - 12:40 AM.

#11 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2017 - 12:15 AM

Says the .PML was not closed cleanly and is corrupt.

Another thing you might do is download and run Sysinternals' Process Explorer.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653

Wait for the freeze and see which process is using the most CPU and/or memory.

Double click on the process name and select the Threads tab to see which thread is using the most resources.

Also, enable the VirusTotal check in Process Explorer by clicking on Options > VirusTotal.com > Check VirusTotal.com

Use the built-in Windows Snipping Tool to grab screen shots.

If you can't catch it that way and if you want to take another shot at Process Monitor, I'll be glad to look at the .PML file.

Edited by jwoods301, 12 July 2017 - 12:43 AM.

#12 JaranPlus

JaranPlus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2017 - 01:12 AM

Says the .PML was not closed cleanly and is corrupt.

Another thing you might do is download and run Sysinternals' Process Explorer.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653

Wait for the freeze and see which process is using the most CPU and/or memory.

Double click on the process name and select the Threads tab to see which thread is using the most resources.

Also, enable the VirusTotal check in Process Explorer by clicking on Options > VirusTotal.com > Check VirusTotal.com

Use the built-in Windows Snipping Tool to grab screen shots.

If you can't catch it that way and if you want to take another shot at Process Monitor, I'll be glad to look at the .PML file.

I will attempt Process Explorer tomorrow. I just tried Process Monitor again. Here is the link--hopefully it works this time! https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0Uwrn6_v3VNQ3dBblZFeEhOTlk/view?usp=sharing

#13 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2017 - 01:16 AM

This log is good.

What was the time frame of the freeze?

#14 JaranPlus

JaranPlus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2017 - 01:33 AM

This log is good.

What was the time frame of the freeze?

12:00 to 12:02

#15 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2017 - 01:39 AM

Here is what I see...

TeamSpeak is doing quite a bit of Internet activity sending and receiving UDP messages.

Chrome is also pretty active.

Akamai NetSession is pretty active.

NVIDIA Streamer Agent is pretty active.

Windows Defender looks like it updated itself and did a scan. Check the logs on that.

Google Drive Sync kicks in during all that. See what the frequency is for syncing.

Can't tell what the CPU or memory hits are, but I would fire up Process Explorer and watch for those.

Edited by jwoods301, 12 July 2017 - 02:10 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users