Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Web Problems

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 joezapp

joezapp

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 AM

Posted 11 July 2017 - 05:38 PM

Mod Edit:  Split from https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/651276/webpages-slow-to-load/ - Hamluis.

Hi jwoods301. I'm having a similar problem since late last week. A lot of web sites are loading fine. But many web sites, or pages within their web sites, will not load. I just get the spinning circle. Some will finally load, but all graphics are missing. Just the text comes up. And sometimes if I click refresh, it will then load properly. Weather.com is an example of a web site that will no longer load properly.

Antivirus and Malwarebytes don't turn up anything.

Should I also do as you requested of leachim? 

Edited by hamluis, 11 July 2017 - 06:44 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:42 AM

Posted 11 July 2017 - 05:53 PM

Hi jwoods301. I'm having a similar problem since late last week. A lot of web sites are loading fine. But many web sites, or pages within their web sites, will not load. I just get the spinning circle. Some will finally load, but all graphics are missing. Just the text comes up. And sometimes if I click refresh, it will then load properly. Weather.com is an example of a web site that will no longer load properly.

Antivirus and Malwarebytes don't turn up anything.

Should I also do as you requested of leachim? 

He was also having an issue with what he was seeing with ipconfig, so I asked for that output.

You might try the following...

1. Enter ipconfig /flushdns in the command line of the Command prompt, and press Enter.

2. Enter ipconfig /registerdns in the command line of the Command prompt, and press Enter.

See if the issue persists.

Edited by jwoods301, 11 July 2017 - 05:53 PM.

#3 joezapp

joezapp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2017 - 12:18 AM

Hi jwoods301. That didn't do anything for me, unfortunately. 

#4 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2017 - 12:21 AM

You might try different DNS Servers...

https://www.lifewire.com/free-and-public-dns-servers-2626062

#5 joezapp

joezapp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2017 - 11:21 PM

Thanks for the link, jwoods301. I went with Google as my DNS server. Thanks for letting me know about this! All of my web pages load about 50% faster, even the ones that weren't giving me problems. The same web sites are still presenting problems as before, though with the faster load time, they DO eventually load. I'm not finding them as impossible, but I still don't know why these particular web pages are suddenly taking so much longer to load since last week. 

But the overall internet experience is so much improved. I never new about changing the DNS server, and it's obviously something I needed to do a long time ago. Let me see how it goes for the next 24 hours. Thanks! 

#6 joezapp

joezapp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2017 - 06:00 PM

I'm going to assume that the issue is router-related/connection-related rather than computer-related. I say this because my wife's computer also had some difficulty loading a weather radar map today from weather.com or accuweather. I have set up that computer with Google DNS as well. 

So it seems that web sites such as these have demanding technology for connection to the web site. I should note that my internet connection isn't the best on humid summer days like these. It's always been that way, and it's possible that it is having an effect on those particular pages loading. 

Any other suggestions for helping these troublesome web pages to load more effectively? Changing the DNS server was a beauty. Any other ideas are appreciated!  

Edited by joezapp, 13 July 2017 - 06:00 PM.

#7 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2017 - 06:31 PM

It's not so much demanding technology and more the routes your ISP takes to get to the final destination.

Download and run the free tool WinMTR...

http://winmtr.net/

It is sort of a combination of ping and tracert.

Enter the URL of the website (i.e. BleepingComputer.com) in the Host box and click Start.

Let it run for a few minutes (2 or 3), click on the Stop button, and then click on the Export Text button.

Open the text file and copy/paste the results into the thread.

#8 joezapp

joezapp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2017 - 07:33 PM

Thanks, jwoods301. I downloaded it and saved it. How do I open it? It says that it's a "zip" file?

#9 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2017 - 07:40 PM

Should be able to right-click and select Extract All.

Edited by jwoods301, 13 July 2017 - 07:42 PM.

#10 joezapp

joezapp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2017 - 07:57 PM

It won't open unless I buy something called WinRAR.

#11 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2017 - 08:03 PM

You can download the free 7 Zip program and use that.

http://www.7-zip.org/download.html

#12 joezapp

joezapp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2017 - 08:23 PM

I downloaded that 7-zip and chose it to open the winmtr zip file. I get a flash of a dialog box that disappears each time.   

#13 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2017 - 08:42 PM

Did you install 7-Zip using the .exe or the .msi file?

Did you select the right "bitness" for your OS...32 or 64 bit?

#14 joezapp

joezapp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2017 - 09:58 PM

Yes, 32 bit. The download came in as 7z1700.exe

Got a setup dialog box and clicked "install".

Edited by joezapp, 13 July 2017 - 10:00 PM.

#15 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2017 - 12:34 AM

If it installed correctly, when you right click on a file with a .zip extension, you should see 7-Zip as one of the items in the Context Menu.

Hover your mouse over 7-Zip and all of the available functions will display in an expanded menu.

If it did not install correctly, you may need to right click on the installer .exe and select Run as administrator.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users