Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Outlook 2016 - POP account setup issue

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 andrease

andrease

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:47 PM

Posted 11 July 2017 - 04:59 PM

Hi,

Today at work I reset to factory settings a Toshiba Portege Laptop z30-c-135 after a failed windows update. On the laptop I had installed Microsoft Office Home and Business 2016 and it was working fine!

After the reset I reinstalled Microsoft Office Home and attempted to setup again my work email (a pop account type) in Outlook 2016 (version 1706, Build 8229.2073) unsuccessfully.

I executed the following steps from auto account setup wizard:

1. I entered my email address and checked "Let me set up my account manually".
  2. In choose account type I clicked on POP.
  3. I entered POP account settings for the email address and press connect. (the settings were double checked)
  4. In the pop-up window I entered the username and password and clicked OK.
  5. Message appears "Something went wrong and Outlook couldn't set up your account. Please try again. If the problem continues, contact your email administrator".

I noticed that the auto account setup windows was different from the last time that I setup the same email account without any issues. Most probably Microsoft updated auto account setup windows in the last office update and something went wrong.

Please note that I also tried thunderbird on the same laptop and it was working with POP and IMAP settings without any issues.

Informations that might help:- Microsoft Office Home and Business 2016 has the latest updates and my mail server is a Postfix.

Did someone else experienced the same problem in Outlook 2016 and resolved it?

Thanks for any help!

Edited by hamluis, 11 July 2017 - 06:39 PM.
Moved from Bus Apps to Web Browsing/Email - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 andrease

andrease
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:47 PM

Posted 14 July 2017 - 06:51 AM

Hi,

Problem solved by creating a new profile from "Control Panel" -> "Mail".

This was suggested from microsoft support through chat (https://partner.support.services.microsoft.com/en-us)

#3 Iceriver19

Iceriver19

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:47 PM

Posted 21 July 2017 - 08:03 AM

andrease,

I have seen this issue as well. I actually have had better luck by going into the Control Panel - Mail 32Bit and creating the account in there.

One machine can do the work of fifty ordinary men. No machine can do the work of one extraordinary man.

– Elbert Hubbard

______________________________________________________________________________________

~IceRiver19~

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users