Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Net Neutrality "Day of Action" Protest - Mega Thread - 12th July

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 techghost

techghost

• Members
  • 191 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:26 AM

Posted 11 July 2017 - 11:53 AM

Y'all must be familiar with the net neutrality protest coming tomorrow. Here's a brief;

"Tech companies and activists will be mobilizing supporters of the net neutrality rules on Wednesday for an online 'day of action'.

Many websites that have signed up for the demonstration will show their support for net neutrality by displaying "alerts," warning the public about how the internet could change if the rules are rolled back.

The protest has already attracted some of the web's biggest names. Amazon, Reddit, Twitter, Netflix, Etsy, Facebook and Google are all expected to join in."

Sources: http://thehill.com/policy/technology/341022-week-ahead-internet-giants-join-net-neutrality-day-of-action
https://www.wired.com/story/the-whos-who-of-net-neutralitys-day-of-action/

Everything you experience and witness tomorrow all goes here in this thread. 

Edited by techghost, 11 July 2017 - 11:56 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 techghost

techghost
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 191 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2017 - 10:38 AM

Reddit has the coolest Net Neutrality message out there. Just visit and see; https://www.reddit.com/ 

#3 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:26 PM

Posted 12 July 2017 - 10:54 AM

I really dont know if this will work, the US government is full of stupid people who probably think a computer is a magic box and the internet is some sort of alien technology far beyond human science.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#4 techghost

techghost
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 191 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2017 - 11:10 AM

Well if so many people are showing their support I don't think the government would be able to go against it. 

#5 techghost

techghost
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 191 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2017 - 11:12 AM

Here's a display of what some tech giants have done today; http://imgur.com/gallery/Nk52k 

This is going to drive so many comments in support of Net Neutrality. 

Edited by techghost, 12 July 2017 - 11:13 AM.

#6 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,849 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:26 PM

Posted 12 July 2017 - 02:03 PM

Here's a display of what some tech giants have done today; http://imgur.com/gallery/Nk52k 
This is going to drive so many comments in support of Net Neutrality.

Your Imgur image link goes to an error page already.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#7 techghost

techghost
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 191 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2017 - 03:10 PM

Hey I didn't get you? The link is just fine. 

#8 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,912 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2017 - 03:12 PM

Works fine for me too.

~ OB :cherry:

Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#9 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,849 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2017 - 05:45 PM

Still doesn't work for me:

imgururl.png

imgurlinkresult.png

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

#10 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,534 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2017 - 10:37 PM

I really dont know if this will work, the US government is full of stupid people who probably think a computer is a magic box and the internet is some sort of alien technology far beyond human science.

I agree entirely with your first clause, as it's highly uncertain as to whether this effort will work at this juncture.

I disagree entirely with your second, having lived in Metro DC for 12 years and knowing a very large number of civil servants.  These are very bright people on the whole (look up the statistics regarding amount of education and degrees attained by area of the country) and they're the ones who keep the stupid ideologues from running roughshod over what most of us hold dear.  Not only that, but most of them use the computer all day long, and have for decades.

Brian AKA Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

In a modern society where everyone thinks their opinion deserves to be heard nothing annoys me more than individuals who mistake their personal preferences for fact.

~ Commenter TheCruyffGurn on the The Guardian website, 8/13/2014

#11 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:26 PM

Posted 13 July 2017 - 12:26 AM

Hey I didn't get you? The link is just fine. 

Doesn' t work for me either.

#12 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:26 PM

Posted 13 July 2017 - 12:32 AM

My 2 cents...people who use more resources should pay more.

If I use more water, electricity, or natural gas than my neighbor, I pay more.

#13 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2017 - 12:33 AM

I agree entirely with your first clause, as it's highly uncertain as to whether this effort will work at this juncture.

I disagree entirely with your second, having lived in Metro DC for 12 years and knowing a very large number of civil servants.  These are very bright people on the whole (look up the statistics regarding amount of education and degrees attained by area of the country) and they're the ones who keep the stupid ideologues from running roughshod over what most of us hold dear.  Not only that, but most of them use the computer all day long, and have for decades.

I meant politicians there you know, you know lizard people from outer space as those people sure as heck not from earth :D

Edited by MadmanRB, 13 July 2017 - 12:39 AM.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#14 techghost

techghost
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 191 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2017 - 06:34 AM

I have no idea why the Imgur image link doesn't work for some people. 
As far as the results of the cause are concerned I have another Imgur image here to share, checkout some stats;
https://imgur.com/a/vYVet 

#15 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,849 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2017 - 12:31 PM

Another error for imgur. Guess I'm not meant to see your examples.

Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users