Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is Hacking Affecting Internet Performance?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Clarke123

Clarke123

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:15 AM

Posted 11 July 2017 - 10:27 AM

I had a professional network communications doing some work for me and was chagrined when he told me that the level of hacking activity was starting to actually affect Internet Performance!  I was about to contact my Congressional Representatives about their "Do Nothing" attitude about hacking (except when it reveals their dirty little secrets)!

Personally, I would like to put Hacking in the same category as armed bank robbery: minimum sentence of 10 years.  Where it is based in another country: authorization for cruise missile strikes, and Seal Team Raids!  Draconian?  YES!  Why NOT? Consider the amount of time and money spent each year on virus software, computer updates, and data losses ... Ransomware ...Not to mention lossof life in the event of a power grid shutdown ... Cost it has to be in the 10's of Billion$ 

Comentary?  Facts?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,756 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:15 AM

Posted 11 July 2017 - 11:30 AM

What makes you believe that your computer is being hacked?

Have you run any scans with security programs such as Malwarebytes or TDSSKiller?

Please do the following and copy and paste the information in your topic.

Press the Windows key and the R key to open the Run box.

When the Run box opens copy and paste shell:appsfolder, then click/tap on OK.

Edited by dc3, 11 July 2017 - 11:32 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,408 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:15 AM

Posted 11 July 2017 - 12:06 PM

If you are using "hacking" to desribe malware attacks, as is This Article, then I would say that your question is very broad in scope and nature.  For such questions or issues...there is no simple answer, IMO.  Might as well ask "Why is there malware?" or "Why do indiviuals/entitities launch cyberattacks?.  There will be lots of rhetoric, some logic...but there will not be an answer which can easily and neatly address such issues, IMO.

Louis

#4 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2017 - 08:00 PM

DDoS attacks such as Mirai certainly had an impact.

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,932 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:15 AM

Posted 11 July 2017 - 08:01 PM

Not all hacking or hackers are bad...
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#6 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,710 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:15 PM

Posted 11 July 2017 - 10:38 PM

I had a professional network communications doing some work for me and was chagrined when he told me that the level of hacking activity was starting to actually affect Internet Performance!

He could be right, DDoS attacks if large enough could slow things down.

Heres a interesting article.

Biggest DDoS attack in history slows Internet, breaks record at 300 ...

You may also like to have a look at some real time cyber-attack maps.

http://map.norsecorp.com/#/

More here.

Cyber Attack - Geek Flare

#7 Crazy Cat

Crazy Cat

• Members
  • 808 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:15 PM

Posted 13 July 2017 - 10:17 PM

Bots and Botnets. https://au.norton.com/botnet

Magala Trojan Uses Virtual Desktops to Secretly Click on Search Results Ads. https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/security/magala-trojan-uses-virtual-desktops-to-secretly-click-on-search-results-ads/

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. ― Albert Einstein ― Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.

InternetDefenseLeague-footer-badge.png

#8 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:15 AM

Posted 14 July 2017 - 03:53 PM

I think OP's topic was more so designed to pose the question of whether or not government should get more involved and take a more active role in the cyber security sector, as the threats there become increasingly larger with every year. I suppose the answer to that question would be that Congress would seek a more proactive role in the aiding of this issue when/if the private companies become too overwhelmed to do it themselves. I'm not much of an expert, but it seems that the big companies, and oftentimes some smaller ones too, are being able to defuse most of those hacker-situations relatively well nowadays, but in the future this may change. Then, government could get more invested in this problem in order to preserve those billions in potentially lost value that OP talked about. :)

Edited by Just_One_Question, 14 July 2017 - 03:54 PM.

#9 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,932 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:15 AM

Posted 14 July 2017 - 04:04 PM

The OP has not been back to respond to any comments since they posted so we don't really know for sure.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#10 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:15 AM

Posted 14 July 2017 - 04:07 PM

Yeah, there's a lot of those people who never respond, but I have faith, as I too myself have replied to an SMS after about 3 years.:lmao:

a8a1ba5ec749409476b9efb116eaa6fd5604e4b1

#11 Clarke123

Clarke123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2017 - 04:17 PM

I am glad to see the responses being given, by (knowledgeable) people here on this prestigious forum,  Next would be a set of minimum of exploit safeguard standards for commercial servers ... Perhaps more, much more for those who host for-fee email services (Yahoo, AT&T, Comcast, etc). 

Those are simple, non-intrusive measures that are just common sense.

The criminalization of cyber-crimes ... needs study and enhancing ... Input from communities such as this would be invaluable

#12 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2017 - 04:23 PM

It already is a crime in the United States, and most countries...

https://www.fbi.gov/investigate/cyber

#13 Clarke123

Clarke123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2017 - 04:25 PM

I am glad to see the responses being given, by (knowledgeable) people here on this prestigious forum,  Next would be a set of minimum of exploit safeguard standards for commercial servers ... Perhaps more, much more for those who host for-fee email services (Yahoo, AT&T, Comcast, etc). 

The criminalization of cyber-crimes ... needs study and enhancing ... Input from communities such as this would be invaluable

BTW: I have run just about every form of AV hunter-killer that has been recommended ... I am now fairly certain that many of my problems involve my AT&T email account (which is run by Yahoo .. who was recently acquired by Verizon ,,, a fierce competitor of AT&T).  I am amazed that the SEC allowed such a purchase ... or is it a merger or is it a ?)  I have heard from sources with in AT&T that they are working furiously to convert to their own system ... with many errors being encountered and (eventually) overcome.  

Fortunately, my wife is using a Chromebook  and our cell phones are Androids; both appear to be isolated from the problems.

#14 Clarke123

Clarke123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2017 - 04:26 PM

I am glad to see the responses being given, by (knowledgeable) people here on this prestigious forum, First, I would like to see a set of rigorous standards for AV Software being sold.   Next would be a set of minimum of exploit safeguard standards for commercial servers ... Perhaps more, much more for those who host for-fee email services (Yahoo, AT&T, Comcast, etc). 

BTW: I have run just about every form of AV hunter-killer that has been recommended ... I am now fairly certain that many of my problems involve my AT&T email account (which is run by Yahoo .. who was recently acquired by Verizon ,,, a fierce competitor of AT&T).  I am amazed that the SEC allowed such a purchase ... or is it a merger or is it a ?)  I have heard from sources with in AT&T that they are working furiously to convert to their own system ... with many errors being encountered and (eventually) overcome.  

Fortunately, my wife is using a Chromebook  and our cell phones are Androids; both appear to be isolated from the problems.

#15 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2017 - 04:33 PM

You have posted the same thing 3 times...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users