Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Most elusive SATA power cable

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 AshleighS

AshleighS

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:52 AM

Posted 11 July 2017 - 08:21 AM

Hi Guys,

So I started a little build about 5 or 6 years ago. It was all ready to go and then I broke the included Sata Power cable when trying to squeeze it into the case. I looked for months for a replacement but couldnt get anything and couldnt get any help from Gigabyte because I had broken it myself. So the months went on and a year later I still couldnt find one. Now I was going through stuff in storage and come across the parts I thought i'd try again.

But this time I want help.I'll attach a picture from the manual

Capture.png

The other end plugs into a 15 Pin SATA power port on a HDD.

So I've worked out eventually that its a 15pin Sata Male to 15pin Sata Male. One of them needs to be right angle like pictures and the other needs to be straight.

Do these really not exist or am I just terrible at searching for them?

If anyone can help me I'd be so grateful! 

Ashleigh

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,439 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:52 AM

Posted 11 July 2017 - 08:35 AM

Can you give the model number of the MB?

It looks like a standard 15pin connector but the image is too small to see.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serial_ATA#/media/File:SATA_power_cable.jpg

#3 AshleighS

AshleighS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2017 - 08:38 AM

Oh I'm so sorry!

It's Gigabyte H61TN. It's a Thin Mini-ITX. Not very common would be an understatement probably.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,439 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2017 - 08:48 AM

I looked closer at the manual. It looks like a standard right angle 15pin connector at the MB.

Edit: Deleted link.

PYO2LP4LSATR.C.jpg

Edited by JohnC_21, 11 July 2017 - 09:51 AM.

#5 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,439 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:52 AM

Posted 11 July 2017 - 09:11 AM

It appears to be a standard SATA power connector.

I assuming it supplies power to a SSD / HDD.

Have you tried another standard SATA connector to see if it will plug in.

If you have skills soldering then you could remove two from a dead power supply and solder them together.

I'm grumpy because I can be not because I'm old.

The world is what you make of it, if it doesn't fit, you make alterations.

Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.  (Mark Twain)

#6 AshleighS

AshleighS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2017 - 09:11 AM

Thanks for the help! Ok after looking at that cable which i think is here 

http://www.athenapower.com/product/converteradapter-cable/sata-converter/cable-sata16epw3

It's actually 2 female connectors I need with 1 being a right angle. And I mean female on both ends rather than male to 2 female. Just female to female.

And omg i think i found it.

https://www.amazon.com/15-pin-SATA-Female-Power-Cable/dp/B00GO7TC5C

I think thats it. So it turns out you can't get these in the UK. But I can order it in from the states. So I believe this is the one I need.

Thank you so much that might have seemed really trivial to you but I never thought in all these years to search the US for them rather than EU! Wonder why its so hard to get over here!

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,439 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2017 - 10:12 AM

Here is a female to female cable from the UK but it does not have a right angle connector. Contact the seller. They may have one in stock.

https://www.startech.com/uk/Cables/Computer-Power/Internal/36in-SATA-Power-Cable-Adapter~SATAPOW36

Edited by JohnC_21, 11 July 2017 - 10:24 AM.

#8 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,412 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2017 - 11:07 AM

Good on yer, John. I've been searching for the last hour and couldn't find the OP one..!

------------------------------------------------------------------

There is another way you could do it, of course. Buy a pair of bog standard male-to-female 15-pin SATA leads with the ends that you need, cut the male ends off, then join the two together with what's known as a 'chocolate block':-

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/items/?_nkw=electrical+chocolate+block+connectors&_sacat=&_ex_kw=&_mPrRngCbx=1&_udlo=&_udhi=&_sop=12&_fpos=&_fspt=1&_sadis=&LH_CAds=&clk_rvr_id=1255116316976&rmvSB=true

These have screw connectors (just like a standard wall plug), and you buy them in strips. Cut the strip down to the size you want with a sharp knife, then just match the cables up, strip 1/4" of insulation off the ends, and screw 'em together. Then wrap the whole thing tightly with insulation tape.

Just make sure you get a high enough amperage 'block' to carry the load safely.

Either that, or you can use electrical 'crimp' connectors.

It's a trick I've used for years if I want an 'awkward' cable that nobody seems to stock. I simply make it up myself.

Okay, it doesn't look as tidy.....but who's gonna see it, inside the case?

Mike.  :wink:

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 11 July 2017 - 11:47 AM.

Distros:- Multiple 'Puppies'..... and Anti-X 16.1

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, 3 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Logitech c920 HD Pro webcam, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz 400FSB P4, 1.5 GB RAM, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, M$ HD-3000 'Lifecam'.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#9 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,439 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:52 AM

Posted 11 July 2017 - 08:27 PM

Never heard them called a "chocolate block" we always referred to them as a "terminal strip".

Learn something new all of the time guess I should post in the what I learned today thread on BC forum.

I'm grumpy because I can be not because I'm old.

The world is what you make of it, if it doesn't fit, you make alterations.

Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.  (Mark Twain)

#10 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,412 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2017 - 10:44 AM

TBH, Toolman, I'm not really sure where that came from. It's what my old man always called 'em; he ran his own engineering business, and was a keen yachtsman.....he used no end of them around the boat.

I guess I picked it up from him; at any rate, I've always called them that myself. I know what I mean, if nobody else does!  :P

Mike.  :wink:

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 12 July 2017 - 10:45 AM.

Distros:- Multiple 'Puppies'..... and Anti-X 16.1

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, 3 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Logitech c920 HD Pro webcam, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz 400FSB P4, 1.5 GB RAM, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, M$ HD-3000 'Lifecam'.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users