Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop with Malware

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 cbcac

cbcac

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:11 AM

Posted 10 July 2017 - 08:02 PM

My son who is 10 has a laptop that I believe has malware.  We are seeing some slight issues.  I ran CCleaner and then Malwarebytes.  We run Eset as our antivirus and it didn't find anything.  Malwarebytes found somethings but Eset stepped in while Malwarebytes was working and removed some things that MB found.  Maybe I need to turn off Eset.  Anyway, MB quarantined some things and Eset removed somethings but I don't think we are done.  Can someone help me please?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Jamiemcg

Jamiemcg

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:11 AM

Posted 10 July 2017 - 08:59 PM

What types of issues are you seeing on your son's computer? Are they occurring within a browser, certain software, or does the computer just seem to be acting strange in general?

Regardless, it might be worth a try running the MalwareBytes and Eset scans in Safe Mode with Networking, in order to see if perhaps they pick anything up there. I wouldn't recommend running the scans at the same time, by the way, just in case they begin to interfere with each other.

Below is a link to some instructions on how to boot a PC running Windows 10 into Safe Mode with Networking.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/how-to-start-windows-10-in-safe-mode-with-networking/

Best wishes!

#3 cbcac

cbcac
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2017 - 09:09 PM

When he came to get me he said it was asking him questions and when I came in there was a strange pop up in the bottom right hand corner of the computer screen.  I just closed it and started running scans.  It was wanting to trick us into installing some software.  Malwarebytes found PUP.optional.spyHunter on the machine along with several other PUP.optional things.  They are both coming back that they are not finding anything now. 

#4 cbcac

cbcac
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2017 - 09:59 PM

Here is what Junkware Removal found.  :(  I don't know if it is clean yet or not.  I will try the safe mode scans you suggested now.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Junkware Removal Tool (JRT) by Malwarebytes
Version: 8.1.3 (04.10.2017)
Operating System: Windows 10 Home x64 
Ran by iorn man2 (Administrator) on Mon 07/10/2017 at 21:39:28.52
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

File System: 0 

Registry: 1 

Successfully deleted: HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\SearchScopes\{2f23ab71-4ac6-41f2-a955-ea576e553146} (Registry Key)

Scan was completed on Mon 07/10/2017 at 21:42:09.05
End of JRT log

#5 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:11 AM

Posted 10 July 2017 - 11:04 PM

Do the following malware checks and post the logs...

Download and run AdwCleaner -

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/adwcleaner/

Download and run the portable version of Zemana Anti-Malware

https://www.zemana.com/en-US/Download

Download and run the Sophos Virus Removal Tool -

https://www.sophos.com/en-us/products/free-tools/virus-removal-tool.aspx

Create a System Restore point first.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users