Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

windows update takes forever to download

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 dave1969

dave1969

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:37 PM

Posted 10 July 2017 - 06:12 PM

I have a windows update that has been trying to download for about a week now and is only up to 45%. Is this a super big file (I only have dialup) or is something wrong. I'm running an old version of Firefox and just installed Panda antivirus because Avast stopped working. Device manager shows no issues. I also have a security box that shows up every time I startup that asks if I want to only view secure connections that only started showing up after I reinstalled the old version of Firefox. Thanks for about the 20th time I think.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:37 AM

Posted 11 July 2017 - 12:36 AM

You might download and run Avast's Uninstall Utility, to make sure there aren't any bits laying around that could interfere with Panda...

https://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility

Unfortunately, dial-up can take hours.

If you know someone with a high-speed internet connection, they might be able to download the standalone updates from Microsoft Catalog and put them on a USB flash drive, or DVD.

It's good to have all XP updates on a removable media, in case you ever need to do a re-install.

You can pre-download all of the updates using the freeware tool WSUS Offline Update...

http://download.wsusoffline.net/

You will need to find the last version that supported Windows XP in the archives.

BC member @Saw101 identified that as V. 9.1 [4 Apr 2014]

Good tutorial video...

https://youtu.be/aXAOvbNJYyE

#3 dave1969

dave1969
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2017 - 12:30 PM

I have tried to uninstall Avast using their utility without success but another uninstaller did remove some of it - still have lots of Avast files left but Panda seems to have downloaded fine and be working fine. I'm painfully aware of how slow dialup is but it usually doesn't take more than a couple of hours to download something. Why is Microsoft still messing with XP anyway when support ended over 2yrs ago? Is there any way to cut the cord and quit getting updates? The update from Microsoft has increased from 45% to a whopping 48% today with computer on for about 6hrs. Sometimes the security shield in the toolbar goes away for a while by the way. I will check out your suggestions and thanks for the help once again.

#4 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2017 - 12:46 PM

Actually, there have been no updates since 2014, until the recent WannaCry ransomware outbreak.

#5 dave1969

dave1969
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2017 - 01:43 PM

I have been getting these updates for the last 3yrs. They are called monthly security updates I believe and I have been getting them routinely with a few gaps here and there. I was worried that they might be malware and I asked this forum about them a while back and they said they were legit. Some have been added to my add/remove programs list and all are related to the malware removal tool. The latest download is up to 74% now. I have the security shield in the toolbar and have never had any problems after they download. Now I'm worried all over again.Could anyone shed more light on the situation? And I ask again - can I cut the Microsoft cord forever? I would love to have this clarified.One more thing - some of them download when I shutdown just like normal MIcrosoft updates as in "do not turn off your computer it will shutdown automatically"

#6 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2017 - 01:56 PM

Sounds like you did the "hack" to trick Windows Update into thinking you have Windows XP Embedded.

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/how-to-keep-getting-windows-xp-updates-for-years-to-come/

If so, that has probably caught up to you.

You can certainly install Linux on your system.

Many did after 2014.

#7 dave1969

dave1969
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2017 - 01:21 PM

Thanks for the link about XP it was helpfull but  I didn't do the hack.To get Panda anti-virus to work I did install  .NET framework 4 from them if that has any bearing on things. I have thought about using Linux for a while but just upgraded my computer to 1GB which would use almost all of my RAM.Can I run Linux with only 1GB of RAM. My security update is up to 79% by the way. It's never been this slow. thanks again

#8 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2017 - 02:04 PM

.NET Framework wouldn't cause that.

Could be a bunch of line noise causing issues with the connection. I would ask your ISP to test your line.

For future reference, I would get someone with a high-speed connection to pre-download all XP updates for you (see post #2).

#9 dave1969

dave1969
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2017 - 09:54 AM

More info. I got on computer today and the download % had actually went down from 79% to 76%- how  could that happen? I may indeed have line noise as my land line phone generally goes out about once a year (AT&T) and the repairman always blame mice chewing on wiring as the problem. I repeat - can I cut the cord with Microsoft and stop getting updates? Can I simply turn off automatic updates in security settings w/out causing other problems? thanks again

#10 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2017 - 02:33 PM

Windows XP is no longer supported, so the only reason to have Windows Update turned on in XP is if you have re-installed it.

Microsoft recently took the unprecedented step of releasing patches for XP for the first time since 2014, due to the WannaCry ransomware outbreak.

Very few antivirus vendors still support XP, and the list of web browsers is dwindling as well.

You might consider switching to Linux.

#11 alwaysonandon

alwaysonandon

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:37 PM

Posted 18 July 2017 - 01:00 PM

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/579269/windows-xp-wont-update/page-2

Hope you find this helpful, just posted it, Adrian

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users