Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Geolocation by IP address

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 SkyLinx

SkyLinx

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:24 PM

Posted 10 July 2017 - 12:34 PM

Hi, I just started a pet project.. an API for developers that uses data from multiple sources to try and determine the location of an IP address. Would you mind visiting https://www.hatuko.com/ and let me know if the location reported for you is correct/close or completely wrong? Also, I'm not a designer and as you can see there is no design :D So I'd appreciate any help to make it look kinda professional, since in the future, if there is interest, I may try to monetise it (there is already a market for this, but I am using multiple data sources as opposed to a single database as most do).

Thanks in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,537 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:24 PM

Posted 10 July 2017 - 12:57 PM

If you're talking roughly, very roughly accurate your result is no worse than any other geolocation service gets for the IP address of my ISP, which is what's being used.

Yours and all others place me about 120 miles away from where I am actually sitting, but that's all the better you'll get using the IP method.

Brian AKA Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

In a modern society where everyone thinks their opinion deserves to be heard nothing annoys me more than individuals who mistake their personal preferences for fact.

~ Commenter TheCruyffGurn on the The Guardian website, 8/13/2014

#3 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,377 posts
  •  
  • Location:Psychiatric Ward @ Beelitz-Heilstatten Hospital, Beelitz, Germany
  • Local time:07:24 PM

Posted 10 July 2017 - 01:46 PM

not accurate at all,

it said i was in europe, but im in north america,

good to know my IP masking software is working :)

#4 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:24 AM

Posted 10 July 2017 - 02:20 PM

Hi, I just started a pet project.. an API for developers that uses data from multiple sources to try and determine the location of an IP address. Would you mind visiting https://www.hatuko.com/ and let me know if the location reported for you is correct/close or completely wrong? Also, I'm not a designer and as you can see there is no design :D So I'd appreciate any help to make it look kinda professional, since in the future, if there is interest, I may try to monetise it (there is already a market for this, but I am using multiple data sources as opposed to a single database as most do).

Thanks in advance!

Already been done, and it's free...

https://ipleak.net/

Edited by jwoods301, 10 July 2017 - 02:21 PM.

#5 britechguy

britechguy

• 7,537 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2017 - 02:24 PM

Already been done, and it's free...

https://ipleak.net/

It's been done to death, in fact.  And the ipleak.net site also places me in Radford, VA.   I'm not in Radford, VA or anywhere near to it by most folks casual definition of "near."   One hundred and twenty miles away isn't near.

Brian AKA Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

In a modern society where everyone thinks their opinion deserves to be heard nothing annoys me more than individuals who mistake their personal preferences for fact.

#6 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2017 - 02:39 PM

It geolocates on your public IP server location.

SpeedGuide's tool has a few more options...

https://www.speedguide.net/ip/

Edited by jwoods301, 10 July 2017 - 02:46 PM.

#7 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,816 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:24 AM

Posted 10 July 2017 - 03:52 PM

Not even "close".......

Places me in Sydney (nsw australia), when in fact i am approx 450 km west of there (270 miles approx)

I note that it "allows" itself  a 200km 'accuracy radius'.....which still leaves it wildly inaccurate

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  

fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

Microsoft gives you Windows, Linux gives you the whole house...

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

#8 britechguy

britechguy

• 7,537 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2017 - 05:29 PM

It geolocates on your public IP server location.

SpeedGuide's tool has a few more options...

https://www.speedguide.net/ip/

Still places me in Roanoke, VA.   It does give quite a bit more detailed information regarding the browser I'm using but still nothing that I consider to be personally identifiable in any way.  It's not like my real location is any secret on this forum, anyway, nor to anyone who can do a few moments of web research based strictly on what is posted in my signature on each and every message I post.

I have never understood the obsession some people have with masking their IP address "for its own sake."   I also tire of seeing folks up in arms because the IP that their LAN assigns them (very often 192.168.1.X) is shown in logs, etc.   There are billions of folks in the world who have precisely the same IP on their LAN.  That's not personal, it's not useful for launching an attack, it's just how your router gets packets to your computer versus any other computers/devices on the LAN.

#9 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2017 - 08:56 PM

It's a teaching opportunity...

#10 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:24 PM

Posted 14 July 2017 - 07:20 PM

Over 350km (200+ miles) difference for me in all 3 services.

#11 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2017 - 08:43 PM

Note that it does not geolocate on your location, but the location of the ISP server that is providing your public IP address.

#12 britechguy

britechguy

• 7,537 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2017 - 09:51 PM

Note that it does not geolocate on your location, but the location of the ISP server that is providing your public IP address.

Which ties in to several recent threads.  IP addresses are an awful way to even presume to kinda-sorta pinpoint someone's location.  Not to mention that given the amount of information that actually exists in public records that are now online there are far easier ways to find information on virtually anyone.   whitepages.com, for but one example, with little more than someone's name and either age range, where they live now or at any time in the last several decades.  There are lots more options.

Privacy as it existed before public records were accessible from anywhere someone has an internet connection long ago ceased to exist.

#13 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2017 - 10:51 PM

Indeed.

However, sites like ipleaks get used as a cheap parlor trick to intimidate unknowing users.

#14 miqrojamie

miqrojamie

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:24 PM

Posted 21 July 2017 - 01:37 AM

Puts me in Margate CT9, which is rather close. It all depends on your ISP and such as to your IP location accuracy. For example, my mobile ISP (EE) reports me as being in London most of the time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users